SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:38 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,506 Posts
This is the GPS logger my friend has:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/Canmore_GT_...ta_Logger.aspx

It stores the data and you download it to the comp. It will also show a graph on Google Earth of your flight path. I use it mainly for altitude and speed. I think I may end up ordering one.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:01 AM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
This is the GPS logger my friend has:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/Canmore_GT_...ta_Logger.aspx

It stores the data and you download it to the comp. It will also show a graph on Google Earth of your flight path. I use it mainly for altitude and speed. I think I may end up ordering one.
Way Cool! If and when I learn to fly and get my Radian rebuilt and flying I might have to get one.
JP n Texas is offline Find More Posts by JP n Texas
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:11 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Nice!! Thanks for the link.
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:28 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
I was talking about setting up a sky surfer for FPV. Anything about flying, buying or modifying this plane is on thread topic this is why I started the thread to begin with. So if you don't care to share that's fine by me but please don't tell me whats appropriate for the thread I started. Keep in mind AJ this forum and flying are supposed to be fun.
The reason I said that is because I also follow the EZ* thread and it is about 50% FPV stuff and a lot of the readers mention from time to time that they get tired of seeing so much FPV stuff. You can read a lot of my stuff on that thread. The best way to learn about FPV is to read the FPV threads. I mainly mention that because there are a lot of folks that are much more knowledgeable about FPV than me. There is a great deal of information and options on those threads. I got my basic stuff several years ago and just never changed much of it. A basic fairly good FPV setup starts about $300 and quickly goes up to $1000+. But, if you get into it, I would love to read about it as it applies to the SS. You might not be aware of it, but, the SS is an IDEAL candidate for FPV IMO. I will post some info if you like when I get it all put into mine. But, of course, it is still sitting on the workbench - waiting for me to get some time (about an hour) to finish it.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:12 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
My problem is I want a two thousand dollar setup for three hundred. So for the time being I'm going to use these little cameras and see what I can produce.

Road Rascal, you stated earlier in the thread that you were starting with a larger battery. I just ordered a couple of 2200 11.1 volt packs. My concern is that they have a twenty c rating and I'm guessing stock is 15c I can find no supporting information. So my question is have you tested for amp draw using your larger battery you mentioned heat as well if I remember correctly. With the stock 1300mah 11.1 very little heat.

One more thing are you using the 20 amp esc that came with the plane??
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:01 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,506 Posts
Well, from what I understand about lipo batteries (I'm NOT an expert) is that the C rating of the battery really only comes into play on high powered, finely tuned setups. I measured the amp/watt draw with the stock 3S1300 (15C?) battery, which showed 12.5A and around 150W. Throwing in a 20C 3S2200mAh battery will only increase flying time and have little effect on output power on the stock setup. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I am using the stock 20A ESC. The more I think about it I'm probably going to add a separate BEC just for my own piece of mind. The ESC is only a tad warm after flying under power though. I'll probably cut a few cooling holes just in case. But even after 5 minutes of full throttle runs nothing seems out of the ordinary.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:30 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,878 Posts
The sky surfer is much like the AXN floater and tends to "float" less and handle wind better with the bigger heavier packs. Down side is you loose that nice "steep rapid" turning ability and it is also a lot harder to roll. Just an observation from my experience with the floater. Throttle off speed runs into the wind from altitude are also a lot quicker .

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:07 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,552 Posts
Concerning the questions about the effects of the battery C rating on these setups, it shouldn't really affect it unless you start beefing up the motor and ESC. Here is a nice explanation of the C rating on batteries.

http://www.rcheliwiki.com/C_rating
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,552 Posts
This just got posted today...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225841

Kman
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:19 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,701 Posts
FWIW, I believe the stock 1300 pack that comes with it has always been specified to be a 20C pack but the Sky Surfer power system is only working that pack at around a 10C rate. (10C would equal 13 amps)
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bajora; Apr 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: dropped my URL to the review since Kman posted it at the same time
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:14 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR View Post
Ezone has one persons review (mine) of the Sky Surfer up now:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225841

FWIW, I believe the stock 1300 pack that comes with it has always been specified to be a 20C pack but the Sky Surfer power system is only working that pack at around a 10C rate. (10C would equal 13 amps)
I liked your review of the Sky Surfer Mr. Barnes. I have another plane that you reviewed, the Hobby Lobby Skyblazers F-86, which I love to fly as well. I have my Sky Surfer on order, so I hope to confirm what everyone has been raving about with this plane soon.

KMan
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:25 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey KMAN, you will be raving soon as well. For 129.00 the plane is awesome!!!!

Hey Barnes thanks for the link. By the way where did you read 20 c on the battery specks?? I wasn't able to find it maybe I just overlooked it.

Great review kind of echos what we've been saying on this thread for awhile.
Last edited by wow1; Apr 14, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:00 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,063 Posts
After reading the review, I don't trust the control horns. I can't believe they would have them just glue on without a back. And it seems epoxy might not grab too well on the flat surface, especially being waxy slick EPO, or the epoxy may eventually get brittle enough to break (and it turns yellow). So I was thinking it might be good insurance to use a better horns. Has anyone tried any of these at rctimer? Or anywhere else as cheap or cheaper (including shipping cost)?

AJ, you suggested in the EZ thread that the SkyS (my new name for it ) might need a CF rod down the fuse. Have you or anyone else done this on the SkyS yet? What size? Does anyone else think it's worth the trouble on the SkyS?

I'm trying to decide what glue to use for the tail. Probably between Sumo, Gorilla Fast Cure, Liquid Fusion Clear Urethane Glue, or UHU Creativ. Probably not epoxy, Ca, or hot glue.
Brian_ is online now Find More Posts by Brian_
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:50 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,552 Posts
I just received confirmation from BH tonight that my Sky Surfer's billing information just got picked up by UPS. If that is true, then I should expect it on my door next week on Tuesday. That will have made it roughly 11~12 business days from order to delivery (4/5 to 4/20).

KMan
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:02 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
I just received confirmation from BH tonight that my Sky Surfer's billing information just got picked up by UPS. If that is true, then I should expect it on my door next week on Tuesday. That will have made it roughly 11~12 business days from order to delivery (4/5 to 4/20).

KMan
Same dates as mine.
At least it wasn't 2 months.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE