SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2010, 07:54 AM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Sky Surfer Prop

Sky Surfer Prop. Newbie Question?
How do you know which way to install the prop on the SS? It pushes air mounted both ways ?
JP n Texas is offline Find More Posts by JP n Texas
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2010, 09:33 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
If you look closely at the tips of the prop you'll notice a slight angle we put the prop on so that angle faces forward.
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Old Apr 09, 2010, 01:13 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
posted again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP n Texas View Post
Sky Surfer Prop. Newbie Question?
How do you know which way to install the prop on the SS? It pushes air mounted both ways ?
A picture is worth.....
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 09, 2010, 01:51 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
same for pusher props?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 09, 2010, 05:44 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
same for pusher props?
The convex surface always go towards the front. A pusher prop is a mirror image of a tractor prop. The motor needs to run backwards when using a pusher prop.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:45 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Nice picture AJ well 80 degrees last sat. and thirty with some snow today. Which ever one of you guys ticked mother nature off I wish you would apologize!!!!!!!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Short Sky Surfer video

Here's a quick video of my flying the Sky Surfer yesterday. The winds were 4-8mph and it handles it well. I did the rubber band wing mod as ajbaker posted on the EZ Star thread. I went one step further and drilled holes through the wings and inserted plastic rods with light ply plates epoxied to the top and bottom of the plates. The wings aren't going anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVMd...os=7mMsqUxgdRc
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
is this with the stock motor/??
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:49 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
is this with the stock motor/??
I doubt it. Sounds like the brushless upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Here's a quick video of my flying the Sky Surfer yesterday. The winds were 4-8mph and it handles it well. I did the rubber band wing mod as ajbaker posted on the EZ Star thread. I went one step further and drilled holes through the wings and inserted plastic rods with light ply plates epoxied to the top and bottom of the plates. The wings aren't going anywhere.
Excellent job RR. That's a better vid then BH puts up on their site.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:53 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Thanks- camera was a little shaky though. The motor is the brushless upgrade. I have no idea what the specs are on it. The box says it's a 2620 motor and a 5*8 Excellent propeller (it's 5" but I doubt it's an 8 pitch).
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:26 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,409 Posts
Joining the Party

Hey everyone! Hope you don't mind me joining the thread. I just ordered a Sky Surfer (ARF w/brushless upgrade) last Monday and am waiting for it to get processed and shipped to me. I have been catching up on all the news on this plane (and BH) and hope that it turns out alright. I have ordered a plane from BH (in fact my very first) in the past and had a positive experience. I still fly the plane today. But, I am looking to build my own personal hangar of planes and need a glider type. This one looked promising.
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:04 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
The more I fly mine the more I like it. Tomorrow I'm going to borrow a friend's GPS logger and get a top speed and high altitude reading on it. Once I get the second Sky Surfer I ordered I'm going to replace the brushless motor and ESC. The largest prop that will fit without cutting the fuse is 6". I'll try a 6x4 3 bladed or an APC 6x5.5E with a 1600kv motor and see what happens, which is the same setup I have on my Wing Dragons and Assassin EPP wings.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
If I were you I would do a test first to see amp draw since 3 bladed will increase it.

I odn't know about the motor but I don't think the stock will be much deffierent than the 1600kv. but some have done a 2200kv mod and that's going way better. thats the same motor Ive ordered and no waiting to replace on the wing dragon which flies witha a 1200kv now
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:27 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey Kman, welcome to the thread this plane is growing in popularity. My son and I both have one with the brushless upgrade. Long flight times, easy to fly, and good performance. BH has delivered these planes in a timely manor and we have had a positive experience with them as well.

Just ordered a couple of key chain cameras. I'm hoping to get some good on board videos.

Enjoy, Karl
Last edited by wow1; Apr 11, 2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:49 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
I'm not going to change props with the stock motor unless I get a 5". The motor I'm probably going to use is a TowerPro 2409-12T 1600kv brushless. I have 4 of them on planes now and they usually put out 185-200w with a max of 18A. I put in a 30A ESC with them. Reading my notes the 6x4x3 prop pulls 185W on the 2409.