Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 03, 2010, 12:29 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Order is in

OK, guys. My order is in. I ordered the ARF per Saralyn's suggestion. I have to mention that I totally trust her opinion based on her revealing that the ESC that ships with the brushed motor has had some problems. To me, that is the mark of a fine business representative to "own" a known problem (caused by the manufacturer NOT BH) and alert buyers to avoid it if possible. So, here are my expectations. They would appropriately treat the order as if it came in Monday 4/5 before 5PM. Then, I would give them 1-3 days for processing (4/6 - 4/8). Ship it on 4/9 (it is not clear if shipping is part of "processing") and because they are about 150-200 mi from me, I would get my order on 4/12 or 4/13. That is what I believe to be an average expectation. AFAIC, If I got it 4/12 to 4/14, I would be happy. It could come even sooner. But, I have tried to adhere to their advertised times for completion of an order. Because I am ordering it on the worst possible day of the week, it might appear that it is taking too long to get delivered. But, because it is very possible to go through two weekends from order to delivery, it could take 11-12 days to receive it, which would be unfair to call that too long. Actually, I think that comes to 7 business days for the max time needed to fill and deliver the order. I will keep everyone posted as the past couple of guys have done.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2010, 12:44 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
The Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I received mine today (kit/ARF version) and it looks great. I'm not going to glue the wings together as the manual states. I'll just use Blenderm to hold the wings on like I do with my Radian. The watt meter shows 150w at 12.5A with the stock brushless motor and 20A ESC that came with it. The only nit-picks were the aileron rods were way too long even with the clevis screwed all the way in. I cut the z bends off and used Dubro E-Z connectors. I used the micro E-Z connectors for the rudder and elevator. There's also a bit of slop between aileron clevis and control horn. Maybe 1/16" or so. Since this isn't a precision ship I'll leave it and see how it flies first. I haven't seen a Multiplex EZ Star in person so I can't compare the Sky Surfer to it. The foam seems durable though. For the $66 I spent for it I'm happy.
We are all looking forward to seeing pics and a video of your maiden flight. I am most anxious to find out if this plane flies exactly like an EZ* (it is clear that you have not flown one(yet!)). Thanks for the feedback on the delivery. It is just not clear on what day you ordered it, though.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 03, 2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2010, 07:00 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,607 Posts
I flew my SkySurfer for the first time today. WHAT big FUN this plane is! I was a little surprised at how versatile it is. Here are a few photos of the fun we had.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2010, 09:43 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
I only flew mine for about 3 minutes in 15-20 mph wind at 3AM (break time at work). Seems like it'll handle the wind just fine. I think it took about 10 days to get delivered, but don't quote me on that. Barnesjonr pics look great, exactly what mine looks like. I'm going to have to do something about the slop on the aileron linkages if I'm going to put a gyro in it. In the meantime I'll put the gyro on the elevator servo and see how that goes.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 04, 2010, 02:25 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Flying at 3am forget the gyro how about some landing lights and strobes!!!!!!

Hey AJ, great to see you placed an order your going to enjoy this plane. Now you'll be special as well!!!!

Enjoy, Karl
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Apr 04, 2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 08:33 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
Finally was able to do a 'proper' maiden today. Winds were only 5-8mph. Flew 15 minutes on a 3S2200mAh. Flies really nice- a touch slower than I would like but has plenty of power for a 50 degree climb or so. Glides fantastic, and no bad stall characteristics. Right now I'm using an AR500 5 channel RX. Eventually I'll put a 6 channel in to program a bit of flaperons and see if I can't get the Sky Surfer to thermal a bit. I didn't do any rolls or loops until I get the wings secured better. I'm using Blenderm to hold them on now. I ordered a pack of rare earth magnets which will go on the ends of the wings in the fuse. I'm going to have to cut some cooling holes in the nose as the insides got fairly warm. Nothing alarming but I like to stay on the safe side. A good flying plane and a great deal for $66. I with that BH would give the specs on the motor (and the CG). For giggles I put on an APC 6x5.5E prop and the watt meter showed 220 watts at 20A. The ESC won't handle that for long and I imagine it'll cook the motor too.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 08:44 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Most be your generating heat from the mods ours stays cool. Like the magnet Idea I epoxied the wings on ours but they still fit in the trunk for transportation.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:14 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
I didn't do any mods (yet). I'm using the stock 20A ESC and BL motor that came with the Sky Surfer. I just used a 3S2200mAh pack I had already charged. Which only used 770mAh during the 15 minute flight.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:21 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Finally was able to do a 'proper' maiden today. Winds were only 5-8mph. Flew 15 minutes on a 3S2200mAh. Flies really nice- a touch slower than I would like but has plenty of power for a 50 degree climb or so. Glides fantastic, and no bad stall characteristics. Right now I'm using an AR500 5 channel RX. Eventually I'll put a 6 channel in to program a bit of flaperons and see if I can't get the Sky Surfer to thermal a bit. I didn't do any rolls or loops until I get the wings secured better. I'm using Blenderm to hold them on now. I ordered a pack of rare earth magnets which will go on the ends of the wings in the fuse. I'm going to have to cut some cooling holes in the nose as the insides got fairly warm. Nothing alarming but I like to stay on the safe side. A good flying plane and a great deal for $66. I with that BH would give the specs on the motor (and the CG). For giggles I put on an APC 6x5.5E prop and the watt meter showed 220 watts at 20A. The ESC won't handle that for long and I imagine it'll cook the motor too.
My concern is the ESC (It might be a 15A or 18A-yipes). On the EZ*, we mount them on the outside (some cut a slot for it) to keep them cool. Since this looks like an EZ* clone, I am sure it is it the same thing. 20A for the stock motor does not seem excessive (just a guess for now - I will test the heck out of the brushless upgrade when I get my ARF - no ESC included).
AJ
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:26 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
I didn't do any mods (yet). I'm using the stock 20A ESC and BL motor that came with the Sky Surfer. I just used a 3S2200mAh pack I had already charged. Which only used 770mAh during the 15 minute flight.
I didn't think the ARF came with an ESC. Stock? Did you get an ESC from BH?
AJ
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:31 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Wing securing method

Quote:
.........I didn't do any rolls or loops until I get the wings secured better. I'm using Blenderm to hold them on now. I ordered a pack of rare earth magnets which will go on the ends of the wings in the fuse............
You might try THIS (my design). I have used it for years with great success. Most of the EZ* guys use it, too. Simple, light, and easy to Pre-flight.
AJ
Old Apr 04, 2010, 10:52 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
I saw that mod on the EZ* thread. I may try that. Yes, a 20A ESC came with the plane. Maybe it was because I ordered the brushless upgrade. Even so, the stock setup is only pulling 12.5 at WOT so I'm fairly confident that I won't burn up the ESC.
Last edited by road_rascal; Apr 15, 2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 11:10 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
anybody tried a 2200kv motor ???
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:53 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
anybody tried a 2200kv motor ???
That will be the 2nd motor I will use whenever I get the plane. A 2835-2200.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 05, 2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:06 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Out of curiosity why will you be adding a gyro? I think I understand what it will do. Keeps the plane level right?? Auto pilot??