SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
I would buy one of these in a second as a "airframe only". Not really sold on having to purchase it with all the gear however.

Ill sit and bide my time till then.

Nice thread!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:02 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Very interested in the outcome as well. I had a feeling this DC-3 would catch on. It looks and flies too good not to. We owe it all to Bladehead for the first post and review. Thanks!
Scott- I agree but I think Mrs. BladeHead gets the Academy Award for Comedy!

The GWS props arrived today. One step closer to flight!

Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:03 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737 View Post
thanks! i am really excited for it's arrival. i watched your vid and the one from nitro last night, it really looks like it flys great (and leaps and bounds better than the first dc3 i tried). thinking it will arive next week sometime....

edit: check this out, fellows...i was hunting around for paint/decal schemes and i found this. my dad didn't fly the dc3, but he got hired into the old convairs when he started there in the mid 60's. isn't this a beauty!
Speaking of Painting schemes, I myself is considering these

guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:16 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGI CRAZEE View Post
I am having a problem with the motors, one is tighter than the other when you hook up the battery, so it has un even torque which results in plane spinning around on ground, when you pull the battery off, it seems to be normal again, any ideas on what is causing this?
Zagi it sounds like the brake setting is on that one ESC. It feels like its not spinning free with the battery on but when you take the battery off it spins fine right??

Before I sent anything back or requested parts I would find out the programming first and make sure the brakes are set to off.

And on another not something that happened with my B-17 is one motor would not start turning till about 1/8 throttle. You want to make sure your ESC's know where zero throttle is. Something alot of people dont think about on multi engine E powered planes.

To set throttle range.

Turn the TX on first. Put the throttle to full throttle. Then plug in the battery on the plane. It will beep a bunch of really bad words at you cause it sees the throttle engaged. Once it does that push the throttle back to zero. the esc's will beep at ya again, usually the cell count plus one more beep letting you know its now armed and throttle range is set. This will set both ESC's identicle.

I know alot of you know how to do that, but there are alot new to multi engine planes.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:34 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion View Post
Zagi it sounds like the brake setting is on that one ESC. It feels like its not spinning free with the battery on but when you take the battery off it spins fine right??

Before I sent anything back or requested parts I would find out the programming first and make sure the brakes are set to off.

And on another not something that happened with my B-17 is one motor would not start turning till about 1/8 throttle. You want to make sure your ESC's know where zero throttle is. Something alot of people dont think about on multi engine E powered planes.

To set throttle range.

Turn the TX on first. Put the throttle to full throttle. Then plug in the battery on the plane. It will beep a bunch of really bad words at you cause it sees the throttle engaged. Once it does that push the throttle back to zero. the esc's will beep at ya again, usually the cell count plus one more beep letting you know its now armed and throttle range is set. This will set both ESC's identicle.

I know alot of you know how to do that, but there are alot new to multi engine planes.
Great feedback! Thanks for the heads up!

Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2010, 07:19 AM
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jul 2003
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
Zagi Crazee,
Contact Nitroplanes. I've had good experience with Nitroplanes/Xheli customer service in the past. It wouldn't hurt to point out this discussion group to them...I'm sure we're all interested in hearing how it goes.
nitroplanes is sending me an e-mail today, i will be sending back defective ESC hopefully it wont be too long to get the replacement one back
ZAGI CRAZEE is offline Find More Posts by ZAGI CRAZEE
Old Mar 04, 2010, 07:24 AM
Joined Jul 2003
228 Posts
Dynam DC-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
Great feedback! Thanks for the heads up!

Tony
I tried that, and the same thing happened, one motor is a little tighter still, i was thinking the same thing that the brake might be set, but it still does the same thing, thanks for the reply,............Zagi
Old Mar 04, 2010, 08:00 AM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Very interested in the outcome as well. I had a feeling this DC-3 would catch on. It looks and flies too good not to. We owe it all to Bladehead for the first post and review. Thanks!
Aw shucks...Anyone else would've done the same thing.

Seriously, when I saw the "Skybus" on Nitroplanes and looked around for a discussion about it, there was nothing out there. So that's how this thread got started. You guys are the ones who fleshed the whole thing out with ur excellent discussions about paint schemes and tech issues. Hopefully, our chatter will help other guys decide if they want this plane, and how to keep it flying once they get one. Keep it up!
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Mar 04, 2010, 09:00 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
lithonion.....great information! this is only my second twin so i appreciate all of the info i can get. good stuff about the esc's......

carlos.....did you buy one too? that avianca livery would look great!

tony has me motivated for this paint job. i have some time on my hands, so i think i'll go to the attic and try to find my airbrush and accessories. wonder if the comressor will still work after sitting dormant for over 20 years? if not i'm off to the lhs to start rounding up testor's paint cans.
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:15 AM
Joined Mar 2010
5 Posts
So what was the verdict on the 3 blade prop?
djman is offline Find More Posts by djman
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:14 PM
Joined Jul 2003
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
Aw shucks...Anyone else would've done the same thing.

Seriously, when I saw the "Skybus" on Nitroplanes and looked around for a discussion about it, there was nothing out there. So that's how this thread got started. You guys are the ones who fleshed the whole thing out with ur excellent discussions about paint schemes and tech issues. Hopefully, our chatter will help other guys decide if they want this plane, and how to keep it flying once they get one. Keep it up!
Hey BH, i did mine up just like yours, sure does look nice! even in white
Old Mar 04, 2010, 05:02 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGI CRAZEE View Post
Hey BH, i did mine up just like yours, sure does look nice! even in white
Nice, ZC...post a pic of it! Those Great Planes EAL decals fit it nice, huh? Did u resolve the ESC/motor issue?

I was going to fly and video her this morning but we had gusty winds as soon as the sun was up, so flew my Parkzone Vapor around in the family room instead.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Mar 04, 2010, 05:42 PM
Joined Jul 2003
228 Posts
BH, no i did not, switched the esc to the other motor, then that motor was tight, so something is going on with that ESC, i have to send it back to Nitroplanes, and wait up to TEN days for processing!! MAJOR BUMMER Ten or more days to sit on the bench, instead of being in the air where it belongs!
Old Mar 04, 2010, 06:05 PM
Joined Jul 2003
228 Posts
They sent me a RMA # to send it back, but no barcode so they will pay to ship it back to them! I know that i am not going to pay to send it back, so i had to leave them a note cause there offline at this time, sounds like this is going to be fun!! Zagi
Old Mar 04, 2010, 06:19 PM
Joined Jul 2003
228 Posts
Guess what? they are going to make me pay to return the ESC Very POOR customer service!!!!! I have probably just bought my last plane from Nitroplanes