Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:53 PM
Oops - That's gonna hurt!
USA, WA, Okanogan
Joined May 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btflycrazy View Post
anyone have a idea on making motor cowling instead of buying new ones
A neat trick for making cowlings is to make an inside mold out of wood. Then find a small, plastic, pop or juice bottle which will fit over the mold without being too loose. Use a heat gun to shrink the bottle to the mold making sure the hole in the top of the bottle is in the area that will be cut away for the front opening of the cowl. Also extend your wood mold a little longer than the needed cowl so you have some room for cutting error while initially removing it from the mold. Before placing the plastic on the wood mold apply talc powder to the wood for easier removal. When making the mold you may want to leave an extra stub of wood at the back for mounting upright in a vise and also putting a wood dowel out the front for centering the bottle. be sure the mold sides are straight or tapered toward the front a little or you will never get the plastic off . Scuff the plastic once you have cut it to size to hold paint better then paint away and glue or screw in place! You have free cowls and the ability to quickly make replacements if needed

I cannot take credit for this technique as i saw it somewhere on a build video - don't remember where I've watched soooo many
Also test the pop or juice bottles first to see how much shrink you can get out of them - the trick may be in finding the right size bottle to start with.

I found this: http://flyin.tripod.com/Soda_Bottle_Cowl.htm
It is not the one I originally saw but gives you the idea. Also just search google for "Make a cowl from a pop bottle". You will get a few helpful results.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
harryg69 is offline Find More Posts by harryg69
Last edited by harryg69; Dec 25, 2010 at 02:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2010
38 Posts
Merry Christmas to all.
Darwood is offline Find More Posts by Darwood
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:56 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Merry Christmas..Got mine and I am ready to spend some nights getting it ready...for Spring that is...I am thinking about glassing it with Water Based Poly..Thanks all for a very informative thread on this DC3 bird...
IIIBonesAirForce is offline Find More Posts by IIIBonesAirForce
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:45 PM
United States, WI, Wausau
Joined Sep 2010
132 Posts
so did anyone order the new c 47 from nitroplane.com yet, i was thinking about it but no parts on hand yet and i might get the 4 to 6 week run around
btflycrazy is offline Find More Posts by btflycrazy
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
132 Posts
wired up lights on the good old skybus not the best but for 6 dollars it beats buying them online for more
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:12 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,368 Posts
Looks good! I've got some lights here that need a home, I thought about putting them on the Skybus. They've only got one red solid, one green solid, and one blinking clear LED. Better than nothing though!
KeithLuneau is online now Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:54 PM
Joined Sep 2010
132 Posts
it is really easy to put those on your dc3 just follow the edge of the carbon fiber strips on the wings and solder in a 200 resister so you can use your planes battery and to cover it all up use white electrical tape
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:08 AM
Hemet,CA
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
Dynam Skybus Split Flaps Mod

Name: P1020949.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 57.4 KB
Description:
So as i mention earlier a couple pages back, i was planning on doing a split flap modification to my dc-3 and so by managing to pull off an "all-nighter", i started at about 8pm and finished the mod at about 4am . But it was all worth it, the split flaps came out very good; heres my video on it.

Dynam Skybus(DC-3) Split Flaps Modification (5 min 40 sec)
Tamilflyer150 is offline Find More Posts by Tamilflyer150
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:17 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btflycrazy View Post
wired up lights on the good old skybus not the best but for 6 dollars it beats buying them online for more

Those lights look GREAT! Which ones are you using?
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:21 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
Like those flaps! Nice job. Looking forward to seeing your video, but better hurry up....it's supposed to rain again tomorrow. :-)
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:53 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
I finally maidened mine today!!!!!
Last edited by pilot40874; Dec 29, 2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:58 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
740 Posts
It's been raining for a week, but today was perfect. The field was pretty busy with everybody itching to go flying again, so I wasn't up long. but I did shoot some video:

THE PREFLIGHT:
Preflight.avi (1 min 7 sec)

TAXI AND TAKEOFF:
Taxi and Takeoff.avi (2 min 50 sec)

THE LOW APPROACH (actually it was a missed approach!):
Low Pass.avi (0 min 28 sec)

THE LANDING (yeah, I know....it was ugly!):
Landing.avi (0 min 32 sec)

THE POST FLIGHT:
Post Flight.avi (0 min 44 sec)
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:34 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
797 Posts
Has anybody replaced the shaft on the stock motor? Broke one yesterday. I read here it's a 3mm shaft. Any sources or do I have to replace the motor?
Grayson Hobby says the Grand Cruiser motor is not the same as the Skybus - higher KV. Or, am I doomed to buy two motors because I broke one shaft when the plane's wing flew off the workbench ? Been looking forward to my first flight after reading this thread for some time now.
Thanks,
Jan
jcarstan is offline Find More Posts by jcarstan
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:16 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,782 Posts
I believe both the Crusier and Skybus use the same motor. I have both planes. The parts list in both manuals lists motors for both planes with the same part number: DYM-0010. The 3300 KV rating printed on the box of the Crusier is clearly not correct. There's no way a motor with that rating could work with props of 8-9 inches.

I also have the Dynam SR Trainer which, again, uses the same motor.

I'm not sure but it appears that this is the same motor also, with a prop saver installed on the shaft:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-exa010.html

I've got one on the way along with other items. I'll let you know if it's the same when it arrives in a couple of days.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:39 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
797 Posts
dbc - Thanks for the info. The HobbyPartz motor looks the same except for the color of the wires. Has the threaded shaft I need. Please let me know if it's the same or not.
jcarstan is offline Find More Posts by jcarstan