SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:54 AM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
DC-3 75th Anniversary Story

Thought you guys would be interested in the Air Transport World article commemorating the 75th anniversary of the DC-3.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:31 PM
Northwestern Colorado
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
Posted earlier about skybus #1 that I crashed...Well long story short, she's got new motor shafts, ESC's, a new reciever, and floats! Taxi testing today on grass went well with one little "accidental" hop . Should be a blast in the snow. Never posted a pic before but here goes

Props are GWS 8x4x3 counter rotating cut down to 7" with master airscrews on the way, and still have to get a little more stiffness in the rear of the floats. Not scale but gonna be fun!
steelcutter is offline Find More Posts by steelcutter
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:59 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
Looks fun! I'm liking the yellow wings too! I've got a bunch of yellow paint here and thought about painting mine yellow, but I don't want to end up with a yellow/white speckled plane when the paint starts flaking... lol

Question on the 3-bladed props... Are there any that will perform close to the stock props and not loose power or load the motors too much? I'd like to go with a smaller diameter 3-bladed prop to get them higher off the ground.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:38 PM
Northwestern Colorado
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
Thanks Keith, Yellow is good for middle aged eyes! Thinking about a Duggy
Duggy DC3 (C-47) at Whiteside County Airport (4 min 32 sec)

Paint scheme for this one, Krylon seems to stick very well to EPO planes and Sun Yellow shows up well no matter what the light... I havn't had any probs with the paint flaking.

As for props I'm kinda feeling my way here hopefully someone with way more experience needs to chime in here, I'm hoping Master airscrew 7x5 will give me the bite the factory props give.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:47 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
The only luck I've had with paint on EPO was Krylon Fusion. It still scratches and flakes on the bottom, but to be fair that was a glider belly landing in the grass! It so happens that the yellow I have is Sun Yellow fusion... That and black, I could put something together, but no real hurry.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:32 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
that looks cool steelcutter
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:51 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcutter View Post
Posted earlier about skybus #1 that I crashed...Well long story short, she's got new motor shafts, ESC's, a new reciever, and floats! Taxi testing today on grass went well with one little "accidental" hop . Should be a blast in the snow. Never posted a pic before but here goes

Props are GWS 8x4x3 counter rotating cut down to 7" with master airscrews on the way, and still have to get a little more stiffness in the rear of the floats. Not scale but gonna be fun!
Ah yes, Hobbyzone supercub LP floats. I use them on many different foamy planes too, they are the best!
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:10 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
steelcutter, what a great idea, putting your salvaged Skybus on floats. I'm starting to look at my pranged Skybus #1 "parts-plane" in a different light. You're going to give us some video of her, right???
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:30 PM
Northwestern Colorado
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
Thanks all.....I'll sure try Bladehead, if I can get around to re maidening her in the next few days...And learn how to post video! LOL, SWMBO says she'll help. Happy holidays all! And much thanks to all who've provided so much info.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:43 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
As promised, here's my Skybus video... We had some great flying weather this evening. About 68F, sunny, no wind, can't ask for better Louisiana weather in December! Now, if only it would last... lol

I flew two packs through the Skybus, then later in the evening we flew my nephew's Hawk Sky. It was his 3rd time flying R/C ever, and his second solo flight. I wish I had learned that quick... lol

Dynam Skybus (6 min 43 sec)
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:09 AM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
As promised, here's my Skybus video... We had some great flying weather this evening. About 68F, sunny, no wind, can't ask for better Louisiana weather in December! Now, if only it would last... lol

I flew two packs through the Skybus, then later in the evening we flew my nephew's Hawk Sky. It was his 3rd time flying R/C ever, and his second solo flight. I wish I had learned that quick... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--YAt7O4ESU
Keith,
This is THE definitive Skybus video! Touch and goes? TOUCH AND GOES...ON TURF?! You rascal, you! Great piloting man...This really shows off the nice flying characteristics of the plane. How the heck did you get that nice short grass, do you have sheep maintaining your landing strip? Loved the production values of the vid, too. Onboard cam segments were a nice touch. I'd like to know what cam you're using for that. Nice intro, edit, everything. Great, great, great. Hats off, to you.
Burt
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments! I've just about killed the grass out there cutting it so much so I can fly... lol

The onboard clips are from a keychain camera. I bought what was supposed to be a #3 camera, and got a #8. So now I've got another #3 on the way from a different seller. The #8 does good, but the video has big gaps in it, so I was only able to use little bits and pieces out of it, or the clips would have been longer. I don't recommend a #8 if you can help it!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
By the way, I think this guy has me beat on flying skills... I just found this one last night:

9-11-10 Dynam DC3 '3D'.mpg (2 min 34 sec)
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
I flew the Skybus again today... I learned something, something about dual ESCs. The possibility never even crossed my mind, until I was about 6 foot high on final approach... When the LVC kicks in, one ESC kicks in before the other! haha

There I am, battery getting low, trying to clear the fence at the end of the runway, when the right motor shuts off. Luckily I had just enough power left on one motor, and managed to coax it over the fence and down to a rough landing, but in once piece! I knocked the landing gear loose on the right side, but that's an easy fix. Just the glue let go, even though I'd used epoxy.

Lesson learned, back off about two minutes on my timer and don't fly until the LVC kicks in!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:40 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
738 Posts
Keith, about how long are your flights. Are you using the stock 2200 3s lipo battery? I'm still waiting to maiden mine, but all it's been doing here for the last week is raining. I'll be using the stock battery, and probably using about 50% power during my flights.
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874