Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:24 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch View Post
Just a thought..... but see if black electrical tape would work for your invasion stripes. I used that tape for my deicing boots and it worked great and really sticks to the foam well.

Thanks markarch. Yeah, I was thinking about using black electrical tape, too. I think it would look really good as the deicing boots on the leading edge....the real ones are kind of rubbery, too.

As Burt mentioned, I'd need to be careful with stretching it too much, and it does tend to be kind of on the thick and heavy side. Probably won't use it for the invasions strips.
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:35 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
pilot40874, I bought the Scotch plastic tape at my LHS, (local hardware store), which happens to be a True Value store if you have those out on the left coast. Some electrician's tape is really stretchy and you want to avoid putting the tape down to the foam stretched, or it will pull and distort. That's the reason I use the Scotch plastic tape, (not so much stretch).

THANKS again, Burt! What would I do without the support of RCgroup members. Sure enough, I found a True Value, called them up, and they have it in stock. On my way over there now.

Take care.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:20 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Ur welcome, pilot40874. That's going to be a nice looking airplane, especially if you can pull off that cool nose art.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Hey guys, did u notice how many posts on the thread in ten short months? I wonder who will post #1,000
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
#1,000.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:14 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
#1,000.
LOL! Awe! YOu beat us to the chase!
Heavy Chevy is online now Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:02 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
Ur welcome, pilot40874. That's going to be a nice looking airplane, especially if you can pull off that cool nose art.

Based on what I've read about EPO form, it's practically the next best thing to Teflon....nothing sticks to it. I tried sanding, priming, alcohol rubs, Krylon Fusion, Regular Krylon, Enamels, Lacquers, Water Based, etc, etc. It all rubs off eventually. Short of sheathing it in some sort of fabric/polymer mix as others have done, it's pretty difficult to get any kind of paint to permanently adhere to this stuff.

In the end, I took a short cut. Instead of priming and painting the whole plane first, and then trying to mask off the white stripes, I simply masked off the white stripes directly on the unpainted plane using 1" blue painters tape. 1" happens to be the perfect scale width of each invasion stripe, so all I had to do was layout one piece of tape on each end, directly onto the unpainted wing and one in the center to form the 5 stripes. I ended up with a 5" wide area which runs from the beginning of the wing taper, to the inboard ailerons...just like the real plane.

I sprayed black over the masking tape to produce all 5 invastion stripes at once. Then, I masked off that area and painted the rest of the wing. For me, that ended up being the easiest solution since I didn't have to worry about masking directly onto any painted surface or having to mask over the entire airplane to paint the invasion stripes last.

But man, that fuselage invasion stripes were another story! The combination of the tapering and radii near the tail was a lot more complicated than I had imagined.

I must have spent several hours working on trying to layout the invasion stripes on the fuselage! Being a perfectionist, I just couldn't get them to lay down right. They either looked optically correct from all angles, but not straight, or straight, but not optically correct from all angles. If you were to slice through the tail vertically, the intersection is a 3D spline curve which doesn't unwrap straight. So I had to use multiple pieces of tape to approximate the compound curvature needed to give me what I was looking for.

I don't know how you got your invasion stripes to look so good, Burt...especially using only a couple of pieces of tape, and knowing that you had to pretty much lay it down right the first time or risk pulling up the white paint underneath. But congratulations...I couldn't have done it that well.

I finally finished painting this afternoon. I haven't even unmasked the invastion stripes yet. I'm going to let everything really dry and hopefully give it time to fully set. I'll be out of town for a week, so I'll save the unmasking for when I return.

I'm really looking forward to seeing those invasion strips pop out from behind the masking tape, and then finishing up the decals.

Stay tuned!
Last edited by pilot40874; Nov 15, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:41 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4 Posts
Dynam DC3 Unequal engine power

Hey, first post... I noticed some people talking about the motors on the DC3 pushing unequally... For people having that trouble, have you tried re-linking your motors to your throttle stick? that fixed it for me, so they were syncronized, and now even with the wobbly un-steerable tail wheel, my DC3 goes straight on takeoff. I've been making a runway at my local gravel field by using a snow shovel, and i can go straight along it tip to tip!

around the 6 minute ish point in this video, he shows how to sync them up!

http://www.youtube.com/user/nitropla...26/hGaDtCDn2ec

let me know if that helps anyone ! ? !
pholosis is offline Find More Posts by pholosis
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hemet,CA
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
"pholosis" your pretty late on the issue lol, i already resolved it with Bladehead and all the others, the way tony showed in the video is not correct, all that does is turn Off/On the brake feature.

back on page 55 you can see my post on the ESC programming.
Tamilflyer150 is offline Find More Posts by Tamilflyer150
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:01 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
pholosis welcome to the discussion! Ya we've really hashed over that ESC issue, but thanks for jumping in on it anyway! We need more Skybus video in here so if you do shoot vids of your plane, by all means post it.

Burt
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:19 PM
Austria
Joined Sep 2010
6 Posts
Just to add to the ESC discussion. Here is a link to the Dynam ESC manual on our homepage: http://modelis.at/node/300
MoDelis is offline Find More Posts by MoDelis
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:21 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDelis View Post
Just to add to the ESC discussion. Here is a link to the Dynam ESC manual on our homepage: http://modelis.at/node/300

Here's a video that I found for programming the Dynam 40amp ESC. The link to the other video that was posted earlier in this thread on page 54 doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Dynam ESC programming for E-Razor 450 (9 min 12 sec)

In the video, he has a heli, but it's the same programming process for the ESC's that come with the 4 channel 2.4Ghz Dynam "Skybus" transmitter/receiver.
Last edited by pilot40874; Nov 15, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:33 AM
Austria
Joined Sep 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot40874 View Post
Even that instruction sheet has some errors in it.
at least it worked for my Skybus :-)
MoDelis is offline Find More Posts by MoDelis
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:08 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
Saratoga, CA USA
Joined Dec 2000
583 Posts
ESCs

Tamilflyer,

I've been following this thread since it began; and I don't have a page 55. Probably because I have my default set to 100 posts per page. Could you give us the actual post number of yours that you are refering to?

Thanks,
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilflyer150 View Post
"pholosis" your pretty late on the issue lol, i already resolved it with Bladehead and all the others, the way tony showed in the video is not correct, all that does is turn Off/On the brake feature.

back on page 55 you can see my post on the ESC programming.
bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:50 PM
Joined Jul 2007
229 Posts
Turnigy ESC programming card doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDelis View Post
Because the Turnigy programming card has been found to work on some non-Turnigy brand ESCs, I tried it on the supplied ESCs but alas, it doesn't work.
rperego is offline Find More Posts by rperego