HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hemet,CA
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
And also that Nitroplanes Dynam Skybus unboxing video, Tony mentions that "...you have to sync the motors to the esc", which then he shows you should put the throttle to full stick and after the first four beeps lower the throttle to lowest position which is not correct, all that does it turn on/off the Brake Feature. The Sync happens when you plug it in when not in the programming mode(Throttle in highest position) but with the throttle stick to its lowest position you will hear first 2 beeps which just indicate that the plane has power then those 5 pause beeps you hear are just an indication that the motors are arming and sync in so you don't have to toggle anything to get the the esc's to sync it happens automatically.
Tamilflyer150 is offline Find More Posts by Tamilflyer150
Last edited by Tamilflyer150; Oct 17, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 04:15 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,535 Posts
Crashed the DC3 AGAIN lol But it's fixable.

I am curious to find out what receivers people are using, and the placement of them.

I have had some severe problems with complete lock outs, usually turning to make a pass flying left to right......

Ive tried a combination of 3 different receivers. It curently has a spektrum 500.

It may be an anomaly at the field too. Not sure yet.

Thanks, Bill
12345 is offline Find More Posts by 12345
Last edited by 12345; Oct 17, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 04:25 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,859 Posts
^^Now that's just not fair, sorry to hear that
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:25 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilflyer150 View Post
Dang you guys sure do jump to conclusion quickly, didn't you guys ever think that perhaps the esc programming is off or in a wrong mode?
Well i just made this video, the issue that Bladehead and all the others are having are most likely that their ESC's may have been accidently put into High Timing which isn't good you want to have Low timing. And after i made that video i once more programmed the esc's into high timing to see what they would do at full throttle and yes it seems like the left motor starts up and spools up quicker than than the right which is probably what makes your planes yaw to the right on takeoff.
Did I think it was in High Timing? What's that? Son, when I was your age, we used dial telephones and candy bars were a nickel. And lipo batteries?? Nope...we had something called "dry cell" batteries that had spring contacts on top, were slightly smaller than a brick and weighed as much. That said, Tamilflyer150, I'm glad there are guys like you in this discussion who are up on the electronics and can demonstrate this mysterious stuff to the old farts like me.

Ya, I was using a combination of the mis-info from Tony in the Dynam vid, combined with what I was able to glean from previous discussion in this thread about the elusive ESC beeps and boops. Your YouTube video was a big help in clearing all that up for me. So, I checked my plane and it turns out the ESC's were in BRAKE and HIGH TIMING mode. I didn't detect the difference in prop startup shown in your vid, but I saw the braking of the props. I've correctly set it up for LOW TIMING and NO BRAKE and we'll see if she stops chasing her tail on take-off.

One thing I did notice is that, like my first Skybus, my LEFT motor on this plane twitches and beeps during setup. Your plane's RIGHT motor twitches and beeps. I wouldn't think that makes a difference but you never know. Could it be, that the guys who have had problems with their planes' ESC's are all LEFT BEEPERS? Wouldn't it be crazy if it was something as simple and stupid as that, a 50-50 shot of which side you stuck in those ESC's?

I'd be interested in hearing from you guys on the thread, a survey of sorts:
  1. LEFT or RIGHT beeper?
  2. Any power issues?
Anyway, thanks Tamilflyer150 for taking the time to patiently video an explanation of ESC programming to those of us who, for whatever reason, (we won't go into that), don't have all the neurons firing that we once did.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:31 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
O.K., here's the deal: I'm on the West coast, and retired. If you want to take the time, I'll solder it for you free. All I need are the specifications.
Thanks a lot for the offer angelfood, but if I go the route of changing all the electronics out, I should be able to muddle through the soldering job. I usually end up with burned fingers and it's never pretty when I'm done, but the heat shrink sure covers up a lot of evils.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:36 PM
Hemet,CA
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
Im glad it helped BladeHead, im 99% sure that the issue was that ESC Timing but now it should be all good.
Tamilflyer150 is offline Find More Posts by Tamilflyer150
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:31 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
  1. LEFT or RIGHT beeper?
  2. Any power issues?
Whether the prop twitches has to do with where the rotor is in relation to the magnets in the motor during ESC arming. If you rotate the prop a bit and plug in the battery again it will change.

ESC Timing and brake setting would really screw things up if they aren't set the same. Does anyone have a link to programming instructions for these ESC's? For that matter, does anyone know the brand, model numbers and specs of the stock motors and ESC's?

I've never have a problem so I've never bothered to try to find out.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:53 PM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilflyer150 View Post
Im glad it helped BladeHead, im 99% sure that the issue was that ESC Timing but now it should be all good.
I just got back to this thread and I must tell you that I am extremely appreciative to you Tamilflyer for taking the time to help us sort this stuff out. I am at work now and will be doing some testing tomorrow when I have a bit of time to run some tests and reprogram these escs.

Thanks,
Mark

Burt,
I'll also check to see what side I beep on.......
markarch is offline Find More Posts by markarch
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:35 PM
Joined Sep 2010
38 Posts
Got my harness rebuilt (did it myself) and temporarily installed. I do have very similar RPM's now.

My beeps are nothing like Tamilflyer150 shows in his video. And my beeps were the same with the original ESC's/harness. I wonder if there would be a difference with another transmitter and receiver.

Back to the field today or tomorrow.
Darwood is offline Find More Posts by Darwood
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:47 PM
Joined Jul 2007
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
I am curious to find out what receivers people are using, and the placement of them.

I have had some severe problems with complete lock outs, usually turning to make a pass flying left to right......

Ive tried a combination of 3 different receivers. It curently has a spektrum 500.

It may be an anomaly at the field too. Not sure yet.

Thanks, Bill
I'm using an AR6200 with the primary RX forward of the tail feather servos and the satellite between the servos. If you're asking about the RX location because you're thinking about signal block, I would doubt it. I recently wanted to test signal re-aquisition time and found it very difficult to block the signal.

Most Spektrum problems are from "brown outs" - low voltage to the RX.
I don't see that the AR500 has the brown out indicator, but if you're trying any Spektrum RXes with the feature it is worth checking after you land. Real pain with the RX buried in the plane because you'll need to take the wing off to see the RX before disconnecting the battery unless yours is visible from the front end with the canopy off. For my planes with the RX buried I've been thinking of using a small fiber optic tube to be able to see the RX LEDs.

If you have an RX such as the AR6110, you might try it because this RX has both a brown out indication and a signal loss indication.

Are you by chance using a switching UBEC located close to the RX?

Have you tried working the servos on the ground to see if you can induce a brown out? Suggested method is to apply some pressure to the control surfaces and keep at it for a while as BEC voltage drops as they heat up.

Are any of your servos making noise when holding at a given position? I had one of the stock ones that didn't like being driven at 120% - I could hear it and my Servo Sense showed a higher amp draw.
rperego is offline Find More Posts by rperego
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:11 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,535 Posts
rpergo, Thanks for the suggestions.

We at the club have come to the conclusion (after several crash post inspections) it most likely is not a brown out.

LED is ALWAYS solid and everything seems to be in good working order as far as servos, motors and ESC's.

However, could you expand a bit on this?

"Are you by chance using a switching UBEC located close to the RX?"

YES, I have a castle external BEC wired in semi-close proximity to RX.......

All 6 crashes have been within a 50 yard radius.......

Thanks Much, Bill
12345 is offline Find More Posts by 12345
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:40 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,880 Posts
I feel very fortunate as I read of all the problems so many of you are having with this plane. I bought the older RTF version with the 72mh radio from NitroPlanes 6 months ago.

Assembled it quickly with no issues and it's now logged 38 completely trouble free flights. It's all stock except for 8X6 GWS DD two blade props which provide a little more speed than the supplied props. There's not a scratch on it and it performs flawlessly.

I've never programmed the ESC's nor had any problems with thrust differential.

Just wanted everyone to know that at least some of them work well.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:59 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,898 Posts
I'm with ya. I have 60+ flights on mine and my white DC-3 keeps on singing.

Regards,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2010
38 Posts
Too many problems with the Dynam Skybus and sketchy customer service from Nitroplanes/Hobbypartz. I'll never buy from them again.
Darwood is offline Find More Posts by Darwood
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:28 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,898 Posts
I have three and they all run fine. Grayson Hobby has always treated me right!

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member