Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1 View Post
I had seen this , but thought not worth a second look , but after seeing
the video's and this tread , I ordered one , look's like with some work
will make a nice model , unlike some treads this seem's to work great.
I always loved the dc-3 , I worked for Piedmont (now us Airways)
these were long gone when I started , but they restored one
and it still fly's to day LINK: http://www.carolinasaviation.org/

I managed a couple of rides in it , diffrent to say the least
I had flown alot in convairs , dc-6 and 7's and have many
hours in EC-121's (constallations) ,

I'm going to do mine in the original Piedmont colors
I may also do some mods to make it more scale , althought
from what I see it don't look bad
pulsery2k1, enjoyed ur pics of the old PI ship. I'm with UA in PHL and PI used to be right across the concourse from us. They brought the plane in and parked it at the gate one day in the early 90's, I guess. I crawled all over it but unfortunately, missed the opportunity for a ride. Looking forward to seeing some pics of ur Dynam model in PI livery!
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:29 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
BladeHead

I fly most out of LGA , Piedmont was Great we all had pride
in our airline, and service second to non.but things as you know
have changed , I have only 5 more months to retirement.
I'm looking foward to building this , I will post mod's and
paint job, nitro has it on track for thursday- from your video
looks like fun
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:44 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
This replacement motor selection was pure guesswork on my part. I was looking for motors that mount right on the plane and fit with zero modification, and that's what I got with these. The trade off was, they're a bit incendiary for this size plane, so I have to fly with the covers off the ESC's to cool them. You sure don't need more than 50% throttle, even for takeoff. I still may end up replacing the ESC's. I only have 3 flights on these motors, but so far, the lipo battery isn't heating up because of them.

Check out the posts by guapoman2000 about replacement motors. Looks like he's on the right track, although I don't know if his selection would be as easy to mount on your Dynam DC-3 as my hot little spark-spitters from Grayson.
Hey BladeHead,

Grayson has the motor I recommended to you and it seems like it has the same mounting hardware!!

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-400.html
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:14 AM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
BladeHead

I had built the great planes dc-3 in piedmont colors , it flew
so so , I end up giving it to a friend who aso worked at PI

I don't know where the finished photos are but here's one
of the stencl's mock up , If there is instrest I will show
how I will do this one.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
@pulsery Nice job!
sh1bby69 is offline Find More Posts by sh1bby69
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:09 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,667 Posts
Got this plane a couple of days ago and now see it's available w/o tx, rx and batt for $30 less. Based on the quality of these components, I'd say the three items would hardly be worth that. Tx has heavy stick feel except for throttle which is way too light. This can probably be adjusted some by going inside the tx. Battery actual measured capacity is 1760 mah which would be confirmed by it's weight of only 154g. This is quite a bit short of the rated 2200mah. The discharge cables are only 16 ga - also a little undersized. The ESC's are clearly not able to dissapate 40A. They are the size and weight of most 18-20A ESC's - still should be adequate for the intended use.
I'm going to paint it silver and should have it assembled in the next day or so. Eager to see how it flys!
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Apr 27, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:14 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,667 Posts
Assembly went well, only problem being that the ESC wiring harness was too short and required some minor mods to get enough length between the ESC's. I used the supplied stickers minus the Dynam and Skybus lettering. I cut it off the tops of the fuse stickers and covered it with some red decorative monokote trim behind the windows and in the front round logo. Doesn't look too bad.

Weight minus battery is 33 oz. Power draw with the supplied battery is 26A and 302 watts. With a better 2200 battery it was 27.6A and 330 watts. Calculated thrust is 46 oz. Pitch speed 40 mph and efficiency 60%. Should have plenty of power but the efficiency is a little low suggesting that the motors are not the best or prop selection is not optimum.

My only remaining issue is with CG. I've checked it carefully and it comes in at 76 mm behind the leading edge of the wing. By using the heavier battery (188g vs the stock 154) it moves to 72 mm behind the wing edge - still a good bit behind what's recommended. I HATE to add dead weight to a plane and may try to maiden it this way. When using the standard one third of wind chord for CG the 72mm would be about right and it should (?) fly fine here.
I saw a brief discussion of a CG problem several pages back but no one else has mentioned it. Any thoughts on this? Anyone else flown the plane with the CG a little back?
Last edited by dbc; Apr 29, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:51 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,667 Posts
Just now did the maiden. Conditions were not that good - variable winds with light gusts. I just decided to go for it - glad I did. Flew very nicely with no issues. Near perfect trim and no issues with the rearward CG. I was a little suprised at the lack of rudder authority both on ground and in the air. Full deflection in the air would hardly swing the tail making it hard to get nice stall turns. The aileron throws would need to be increased to get a reasonable roll rate. Stock settings result in very, very slow rolls.

Plane is not very fast nor very aerobatic but looks quite nice when flown in a scale manner. I intensely dislike castoring tailwheels so I CA'd it straight ahead with good results. The last few feet of the landing rollout are not controllable but at least it doesn't look and act like it's on ice as it does with the recommended setup.

Corrections to the above calculations: 54 oz thrust, 36 mph pitch speed and 78% efficiency. These are better numbers and seem to correlate well with how the plane flys. Assumption here is that the stock props have approximately the same performance as would 2 blade APC SF 8x3.8. I've found that the numbers don't always correlate well with actual performance so they should not be relied on too heavily.

8 min flight with 2 takoffs and landings and generally heavy throttle use resulted in 1185mah used. It looks like 12 min flights should be easy with normal use - provided the battery used is a true 2200.

I'm completely pleased with the plane and it should be lots of fun considering the modest investment.
Last edited by dbc; Apr 29, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:04 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,667 Posts
Did second flight at dusk in dead calm conditions and really enjoyed the plane. Rudder control seemed better and there's nothing ususual or nasty about it's flight characteristics. You must keep some speed in turns and landings - this is not a trainer - but flys very nicely.

My only real dislike is the tail wheel. It should be steerable to give realistic taxiing and ground handling. I wish I had taken the time to devise steering for it. It would not have been too difficult before the tail was glued on but would be more involved now.

Seems like I'm alone here on this thread. Anyone else still flying this plane???
Old Apr 30, 2010, 02:09 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Did second flight at dusk in dead calm conditions and really enjoyed the plane. Rudder control seemed better and there's nothing ususual or nasty about it's flight characteristics. You must keep some speed in turns and landings - this is not a trainer - but flys very nicely.

My only real dislike is the tail wheel. It should be steerable to give realistic taxiing and ground handling. I wish I had taken the time to devise steering for it. It would not have been too difficult before the tail was glued on but would be more involved now.

Seems like I'm alone here on this thread. Anyone else still flying this plane???
Ya, I'm with you. Enjoying the detail of your posts...Put up some pics of your DC-3...That usually gets the comments going. Haven't flown much because of the weather here...This week it's been 30mph winds.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hertfordshire, London UK
Joined Apr 2010
25 Posts
Hi All,

I've suddenly really got into RC planes -learned on the Dynam Hawk Sky and also have Art Tech Corsair and a Black Hawk Mosquito which is staying firmly as an unflown ornament until I get more proficient and confident to fly her.

I've been searching for this wonderful DC3 Sky bus here in UK but as yet unable to locate a retailer. Anyone know if this bird can be found in UK, and what are parts avai. like?

Thanks!
Lvgstn Seagull is offline Find More Posts by Lvgstn Seagull
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:16 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Your not alone ,Mine arrived today - a day later than they said and I'm
away and won't be home till monday , but I will get started ,right away
they have been sold out a couple of times so someone has these.
and now that they are offering it without the junk radio maybe
they will sell more

the real dc 3 tail wheel was the same , they use the diferintal braking
to steer the aircraft, one thing you can try is to lock it ,that usally
will make make steering with the rudder easier.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 07:25 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,667 Posts
I'd post pics as suggested above, but unfortunately it would look much like any other stock plane. I got lazy and did not paint it first as I had intended. Oftentimes I have difficulty taking an inexpensive foamy seriously; they just seem like a low quality toy and not worth spending a great deal of time on. I now feel a little different about this one especially after flying it.
Differential braking would be nice but without that option a second pushrod from the rudder servo could be extended thru the fuse and out near the tailwheel to provide steering.
I have locked the tailwheel as indicated in a previous post and it is OK like this but can't be maneuvered very realistically during taxiing.

I'm not sure I'd characterize the radio as "junk" but it is not far from that. I wish they would have shown it available without tx,rx and batt when I ordered. I did soften the stick springs inside the tx and adjusted the throttle tension making it feel more like most other better quality transmitters. Both flights so far have shown no glitching and plenty of range. Resolution on the trim pots (or maybe servos) is very low - you can move the trim sticks several clicks in either direction with no change it contol surface positon!
Yeah - maybe you are right - radio is junk!
Last edited by dbc; Apr 30, 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 07:49 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
FOAM you can do great thing's with foam , it quick easy and the
result's the two models were A gws A-10 and a chinese Hawk i
won at fun fly - they are polyglassed -( Tissue and waterbased
polycylic) very quick and easy to do , add a lot of streight and
very little weight. no smell like with fiberglass .and great result's

and let face it I'm not going to fly this with there radio
no d/r no expo ect, ect
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:10 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,667 Posts
I wish manufacturers would supply foamies already glassed - your planes look very nice and would provide some pride of ownership that is just missing with the "flying beer coolers".