HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
Ive broken both prop shafts... do I need new motors or can they be replaced?
MadridFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MadridFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:59 AM
Flying, crashing, (re)building
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadridFlyer View Post
Ive broken both prop shafts... do I need new motors or can they be replaced?
You can buy new shafts from various internet sellers but you may have trouble getting them shipped to your location. It may be quicker to buy two new motors and ESC.
Elwood74 is offline Find More Posts by Elwood74
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:17 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
All gone... See Thread, I lost every thing.
Cries.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:39 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
New Buffalo Airways

My second DC-3 with home-made retracts made its maiden flight today. Everything worked and looked great. I did my own version of the tail wheel fix by CAing an old final servo gear to the top of the tail wheel assembly and added a servo horn to the splined top. The split flap was cut into the wing with a router so that it sits flush while retracted. There is a slip joint at each dihedral break. The speed controls were mounted in a cut out in the bottom leading edge next to each engine nacelle. Thank you to Callie for the nice graphics.
bettsmums is offline Find More Posts by bettsmums
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Hey bettsmums, she looks outstanding in the air with the mains retracted and on final with the flaps out... Great work!
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:56 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Bettsmums, just wow man I may do my best to copy your landing gear idea if thats cool with you. also if you have any advise or maybe some more pics you could email me @ Asoulsdream@live.com I would really love to do this mod, also the flaps would be cool. You said you routed out the wing so the retracted flaps would be flush. did you do this with a dremal?
AsSoulsDream is offline Find More Posts by AsSoulsDream
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:37 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
hey bettsmums, can you post a pic of how and where you connected the control rod from the servo to the landing gear. Looks like a great design but if you already know where is the best place to connect it that would help greatly....
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:59 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,480 Posts
just placed an order for the green C47 dynam skybus. I plan on using this aircraft specifically for FPV flying.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-8931-c47-green-arf.html

blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:33 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
More Retract Info

Here is a rough drawing with some measurements on it if any one wants to try making their own. It is cut from 1 inch square aluminum tubing with 1/16 wall thickness. It was really easy to find on the Internet. You also need some flat aluminum 1/6 x 1/4 rod to make the trailing links. I had to saw mine out of a flat sheet. I comprimised mine a little to save aluminum where the trailing link connects by the wheel because I was getting both legs out of one length of tubing. The drawing shows this connection at a 45 degree angle which will line up more like the real one. I also didn't work with drawings . I just kind of cut away what didn't look like landing gear. Mark the aluminum tubing first. Drill all the holes before you cut any thing. I just used a 1/16 drill bit and then enlarged them during assembly to fit the 2-56 bolts tightly. Some of the saw cuts can't be made because of no access. I drilled a series of 1/16 holes and then flexed and filed until it broke. I just cleaned everything up with some files when I finished. The curved trailing link was bent in a vise by clamping a deep dish socket of slightly smaller diameter and then making the 90 degree bend around it. Then I just held it with pliers to make the 90 degree bend. The pine block between the plywood landing gear mount is positioned so that the landing gear lower leg hits it when extended. This acts as a partial lock for the lower leg. The small piece of aluminum bolted to the upper leg locks the upper joint. The servo moves about 180 degrees which locks each end of the travel so that no force should be applied to the servo gears during landing. The wheel axle is a longer 2-56 bolt with a piece of brass tubing that the wheel actually rolls on. The tubing is cut to 7/8 inch long so that it fits tight between the landing gear legs. To mount the landing gear I cut down in the foam 1/4 inch where the three fingers of the fixed gear used to be. Make the deeper cut out just the size of the plywood mounts. I epoxied the mounts and pine block to the foam. The retracts are centered on the same line as the center of the fixed gear. You need to try the height that the trailing link is above the foam. A little difference can make a big difference in how far the wheel retracts. Hold the rear mount and cycle the gear by hand until you are satisfied with both extended and retracted positions. I thought the locknuts were a little large and will probably use normal 2-56 nuts and locktite on the next set as a refit my older DC-3 with my version 1 retracts that doesn't look as good as this one
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:40 AM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
on the bottom leg of the mount I can't read how high the control rod attach point is. Looks like about 23 or 25mm but not sure???????
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:53 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
retract hard to read number

25mm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:25 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsmums View Post
25mm
Thank you very much sir!!! hope to have these done next weekend
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined May 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
just placed an order for the green C47 dynam skybus. I plan on using this aircraft specifically for FPV flying.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-8931-c47-green-arf.html

really interested to hear how it does as an FPV rig.
4bangen is offline Find More Posts by 4bangen
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:33 PM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
216 Posts
My DC-3 arrives tomorrow . . . still reading the DC-3 thread (up to page 45!) and will try to incorporate many of your ideas. Great thread!

I've been in R/C since 1988, out for several years but got re-infected with the bug last fall. Really enjoying the new technology (totally electric now-- no mess, no noise!) and have several aircraft already!

I'm planning to do a Piedmont livery, too, as I'm in North Carolina.
iwlf is offline Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,109 Posts
may want to check my blog...sadly that plane was almost lost completely but its identical twin is being built as we speak! I also since the last pictures on there completed the windows which are painted black with clear plastic covering them to give them that real look.

Dynam Skybus Piedmont DC-3 N44V third flight. (4 min 36 sec)
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Last edited by P-51 flyby; Feb 25, 2013 at 08:53 PM.