HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:32 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,705 Posts
Here is a neat film about converting C-47s to float planes in 1942.

I think the floats from the new Flyzone DHC-2 would be a pretty good match for the Dynam plane. Could make a really interesting project.

1942 - EDO AIRCRAFT CORP of College Point, NY (9 min 9 sec)

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:20 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
514 Posts
VERY COOL! Thank you for sharing.
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:08 AM
Flying, crashing, (re)building
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
165 Posts
Hello all,

I got some replacement props from an ebay seller, and did two more very good flights today (no wind but ~35 deg c at 80% humidity, ugh). I really love this plane. It flies so gently and looks the goods in the air. My first landing was a perfect touch down but my second was a bit noob and I bounced once but otherwise smooth . I am very impressed with how slow you can take her down without anything nasty happening - makes scale flying a piece of cake and I love how realistic it looks on landing. I just wish my wife had brought her DSLR along today!

Re the floats, I don't know this plane would handle them but from what I have read the real DC-3/C-47 with floats was a real pig of a thing and the drag from the floats resulted in a rather nasty hit to performance. Speaking of performance, if anyone is looking to re-engine their DC-3/C-47, I can recommend the Park 450 1200 kv and a couple of Turnigy 30A Plush ESC - I am using this setup with the stock 8x6 3-blade props and it seems to fly just beautifully.
Elwood74 is online now Find More Posts by Elwood74
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:32 AM
Joined May 2012
375 Posts
I managed to snap a motor shaft Saturday. What prop adapter are you guys using when this happens? I'd hate to replace a motor because it just flies so well.
4bangen is offline Find More Posts by 4bangen
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:53 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangen View Post
I managed to snap a motor shaft Saturday. What prop adapter are you guys using when this happens? I'd hate to replace a motor because it just flies so well.
When I bent a shaft, it bent just where the threads end, so I cut the shaft off of both motors where the threads end and use a E-flite collet 3 mm prop adaptors. I also switched to MAS 8X6X3 props. In fact, and this isn't necessary, I picked up a couple of MAS 8X6X3 pusher props, switched two ESC wires on the right motor and now have counter rotating props.
I really don't notice any significant difference in either ground handling or flight with the counter rotating props.

Or, I think Grayson Hobbies sells replacement shafts for the Dynam motors.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:11 AM
Joined Nov 2012
137 Posts
New to the group. My C-47 skytrain is on order and should be here next monday. I am going to model it after this plane.

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/...iew/?service=1

I used to work right across the street on the second floor and looked at this plane everyday.

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/temp-charleston-mckinney.htm
dutchumb is offline Find More Posts by dutchumb
Last edited by dutchumb; Jan 25, 2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchumb View Post
New to the group. My C-47 skytrain is on order and should be here next monday. I am going to model it after this plane.

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/...iew/?service=1

I used to work right across the street on the second floor and looked at this plane everyday.

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/temp-charleston-mckinney.htm
Welcome dutchumb! Can't beat that scenery. My 10y/o son bought his C-47 second hand and has had a blast flying it. His is the Navy version. He is still on the buddy box, but I'm afraid to cut the cord, although he is ready It flies great! The tail wheel mod was already done and I suggest you do it to yours. Makes ground handling so much easier. There is a lot of great information graciously shared by others on this site. Good luck and keep us posted
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:39 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
Another DC-3

Just got mine today. I will be replacing the ESC's, doing steerable tail wheel, Flap mod and painting to war colours. A british one.

Laid out all the parts to check. Elevator control horn has to be glued on and tail tire is now a foam rubber
Trevorp is offline Find More Posts by Trevorp
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:14 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Trevorp, it's weird, but I think my heart rate increased when I saw your pics of all those Skybus parts spread out, ready for assembly.

I need professional help.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:54 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
My thoughts go out to all our Australian buddies, especially those in the south-east corner of the country who are now suffering terrible flooding, following the massive bush fires and high temperatures of a few days ago.

God be with you guys and I hope you and yours are all safe, dry and well.

E G
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:17 PM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
736 Posts
electricgeoff,

On behalf of us battered Aussies, Thank you!

My Home and Family are safe but my little business was flooded for the second time in two years. 610mm in 2011 and now 1.3m in 2013. Unlike lots of others, we have a fair bit of warning (although this came up very quick) so I packed up my shop before the water came in. Water is now down so the massive clean up is in progress (it stinks).

The Mary River divides our city in two with the highest bridge at 15.5m. The Mary normally flows at 2m to 3m but went to 20.3m on the 28th. Thats a lot of water. I was stuck for three days on the north side from my family on the south. Our house is on a hill but gets totally surrounded by water so my Wife and two boys were waterlocked for two days. But all safe.

However, my heart goes out my fellow Queenslanders in Bundaberg and the Lockyer Valley. They have lost their homes - flooded to the ceiling and over. Bundaberg is particularly bad and the water is not predicted to go down until the weekend.

Thankfully, at this stage - and amazingly, only 6 lives have been lost due to the floods.
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Last edited by DeathWarmedUp; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Updated to 6 deaths unfortunatley
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:19 AM
Flying, crashing, (re)building
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
165 Posts
Yes, all fine here, aside from the 6 people who died in the floods.

But I am such a keen flier that when the skies cleared I tried to go have a fly the day after the rain stopped (I even had the day off work because the office *might* flood - it didn't)... Unfortunately after my first flight I landed and realised just how muddy the field was... plus it smelled really unpleasant. Not even floods will stop me flying . I cleaned my poor spitfire off and drove home with mud all over my legs because I lazily only wore thongs (flip-flops for Americans) to the field.

Anyway, I am keen to get my skybus out on the weekend and hope the field where I fly it isn't boggy! I received my HK wing camera last week and am hoping to put it on the skybus and get some good footage.

I did some test footage to see what kind of vibration the camera would experience and while its not bad all I could think of while watching the footage was.... where is my prop sync switch?!
Elwood74 is online now Find More Posts by Elwood74
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWarmedUp View Post
electricgeoff,

On behalf of us battered Aussies, Thank you!

My Home and Family are safe but my little business was flooded for the second time in two years. 610mm in 2011 and now 1.3m in 2013. Unlike lots of others, we have a fair bit of warning (although this came up very quick) so I packed up my shop before the water came in. Water is now down so the massive clean up is in progress (it stinks).

The Mary River divides our city in two with the highest bridge at 15.5m. The Mary normally flows at 2m to 3m but went to 20.3m on the 28th. Thats a lot of water. I was stuck for three days on the north side from my family on the south. Our house is on a hill but gets totally surrounded by water so my Wife and two boys were waterlocked for two days. But all safe.

However, my heart goes out my fellow Queenslanders in Bundaberg and the Lockyer Valley. They have lost their homes - flooded to the ceiling and over. Bundaberg is particularly bad and the water is not predicted to go down until the weekend.

Thankfully, at this stage - and amazingly, only 6 lives have been lost due to the floods.
Glad to hear the important things in your life are safe, family and home. Like many places in the UK this year, the businesses that have been hit numerous times are sad indeed, I hope your insurers will be sympathetic.

Thankfully the death toll hasn't been too high.

All the best

E G
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Feb 2013
24 Posts
I have the C-47 version of this.
Still have to build it, and will probably make a video. The detail for a foamy is amazing!
I have so many projects on the go though.
TheWhistler is offline Find More Posts by TheWhistler
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:32 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
I have so many projects on the go though.
You and I have the same problem. I have four planes still in their box.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen