HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:22 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,064 Posts
Those are some massive floats ! Now those had to make the plane handle like a real lump !
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:39 AM
The sky is the limit
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Aug 2012
197 Posts
Some time back somebody posted a rather simple modification to make the gear retractable. Have I missed follow-on posts about how it actually performs during takeoff and landing, has anybody else tried that modification?

Regarding the float version I wonder how much speed it took from the normal cruise speed. The drag of those floats and struts makes you wonder why they ever bothered installing retracts on the land version. With probably non steering wheels (the tail wheel was only lockable in a centered position) the ground handling with crosswind must definitely be challenging, although much of the inherent weathervaning might have been cancelled out by the massive float surface sticking out at the front of the aircraft. Can you imagine this thing being beached or along a quai and asking for a push into clear water?
BAF23 is offline Find More Posts by BAF23
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:24 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Retract Update

The landing gear has been performing great. I just ordered another wing to install version two. This one is going to be narrower with aftermarket wheels and will use HK 180 degree proportional servos to actuate it. The narrower gear will allow less foam to be cut away and look like the wheels retract further into the nacelle. It is still going to be based on the existing landing gear.
bettsmums is offline Find More Posts by bettsmums
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:27 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,695 Posts
Betts,
Just which HK 180 degree servo do you intend to use? I found their digital versions power hogs. Be very careful and use a separate UBEC.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:37 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Servo Selection

I plan to use Turnigy TGY-R5180MG 180 Degree Metal Gear Analog Servo. It will allow the servo to point directly at the gear to lock it down and a servo slow can reduce the movement to what ever speed looks good. I can also use the EPA to set full down and up to where ever it needs to be.
bettsmums is offline Find More Posts by bettsmums
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,695 Posts
I bought the 180 degree digital versions and noticed they really taxed the BEC. You are better off with the analog like you decided.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:45 AM
The sky is the limit
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Aug 2012
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsmums View Post
The landing gear has been performing great. I just ordered another wing to install version two. This one is going to be narrower with aftermarket wheels and will use HK 180 degree proportional servos to actuate it. The narrower gear will allow less foam to be cut away and look like the wheels retract further into the nacelle. It is still going to be based on the existing landing gear.
Thanks, please keep us informed with preferably an illustrated build report of V2 developments.
BAF23 is offline Find More Posts by BAF23
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
Just ordered my C47- Can someone point me in the right direction of a battery for it? Thanks

Does it use a XT60 plug?
MadridFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MadridFlyer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadridFlyer View Post
Just ordered my C47- Can someone point me in the right direction of a battery for it? Thanks

Does it use a XT60 plug?
I fly mine on any of several 2200 3c batteires I have from 25c to 40c, getting 7 minute flights with enough bettery left to go around a time or two if I need to.

I forget what kind of plug came on mine as I have converted all of my planes and batteries to Anderson Powerpoles. It makes life so much easier.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
I used turnigy battery 2650mah until the crash.
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadridFlyer View Post

Does it use a XT60 plug?
I started using Overlander 2200 35c batteries which gave 8 minutes and some spare, but I only flew real slowly around, no loops, rolls or anything non scale.

Now have a couple of Gens Ace 2200 35c ones that are larger, longer and heavier, but only giving the same performance. Made acheiving a decent CoG better, and still room for two to really extend the flight times.

Can't remember the plug, think it was Deans, but I change all mine to bullets anyway, as that is how all my planes and chargers are set up.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we all do.

E G
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Last edited by electricgeoff; Dec 04, 2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Forgot about the XT60 question.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum View Post
I have attached a pic of my two DC3's from Dynam. They fly well although I find the grand handling problematic.

The one on the left has a castoring tailwheel, an external rudder servo at the rear, half flaps set permanently and a parachute drop hatch in the belly. The the one on the right has a steerable tailwheel. Both have MAS counter rotating props.

The steerable tailwheel was made by adding a second rudder servo using a y connector and a rod running back to a servo arm glued to the top of the tailwheel leg with JB weld. It works well for taxi but its almost useless on landing where I still find it difficult to maintain directional control as the rudder loses effectiveness.

The one with the free castoring tailwheel is downright hilarious. After losing rudder control on the landing roll it simply goes wherever it wants to. I may consider using JB weld to glue the tailwheel fixed straight. Has anybody had any luck with this?
Two very nice models drumbum, shame about the ground handling though.
See my post of Nov 22nd just back a page re this. Definitely much improved with the steering tail wheel, but does need throttle and plenty of 'up' elevator to stick that tail down!

EG
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Ground handling sucks. I lost my piedmont dc-3 the other day due to lack of ground handling...veering to the right....added left rudder...didnt help much. Plane starts to rise...left prop tip smacks concrete snapping prop off.....the plane is now in the air with 5 props...I floor it and try to gain alt to complete tear drop return for emergency landing as forward options were not available. As I begin to ascend to complete the maneuver I enter that motherfu**** tip stall this plane is know for....so I kick hard right rudder to help with that while still trying to complete the turn to the left to get back to runway....as i get to about 15 feet the plane has no airspeed left to complete turn...and no alt. to trade for airspeed....goes nose down and become a lawn dart....in total fuse is shot to hell...wings split at the seems ....left motor shaft snapped at the hub...right motor lost one prop... all of that because of crappy ground clerance and lack of directional control on the ground. Had when I kicked the rudder on the ground the plane turned then she wouldnt have come up on the left due to the right getting hung up in tall grass.
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:36 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,064 Posts
Too bad you are having trouble. I made my tail wheel steerable with max rudder throws and added flaps. Nice slow scale takeoffs are not much of an issue now but you have to always be ready on the rudder. Anybody can try and horse it off the ground but it takes practice to do nice scale takeoffs. It would be better to practice on larger tail draggers first before trying to master this.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 flyby View Post
Ground handling sucks. I lost my piedmont dc-3 the other day due to lack of ground handling...veering to the right....added left rudder...didnt help much. Plane starts to rise...left prop tip smacks concrete snapping prop off.....the plane is now in the air with 5 props...I floor it and try to gain alt to complete tear drop return for emergency landing as forward options were not available. As I begin to ascend to complete the maneuver I enter that motherfu**** tip stall this plane is know for....so I kick hard right rudder to help with that while still trying to complete the turn to the left to get back to runway....as i get to about 15 feet the plane has no airspeed left to complete turn...and no alt. to trade for airspeed....goes nose down and become a lawn dart....in total fuse is shot to hell...wings split at the seems ....left motor shaft snapped at the hub...right motor lost one prop... all of that because of crappy ground clerance and lack of directional control on the ground. Had when I kicked the rudder on the ground the plane turned then she wouldnt have come up on the left due to the right getting hung up in tall grass.
Man, sorry to hear that, she was a great looking ship.

Even with the steerable tail wheel these plane handle like a squirrel on crack on the ground. The trick is the tail wheel has authority only at very, very slow speed on smooth surfaces. On our grass runway it really has little use.

I have found that if I can get the plane moving fast enough to get the tail wheel off the ground I can steer it with the rudder, most of the time. So if I want a nice scale like take off I have to get it up to speed quick, with not so scale like acceleration, before it has a chance to weather vane or start veering off course, get the rear off the ground and steer with the rudder. Then, usually, I can ease it into the air.

But, best laid planes… Today I was taking off and she veered left and before I could get it straightened up ran off the runway and into tall clumpy grass. Pulled the right motor mount loose from the engine nacelle. I guess I’m lucky that was the only damage and the epoxy is setting as I type this.

I like this plane though, so I think I’ll get a kit version while they are only 49.00 or so and keep it handy for that day when I’m not so lucky.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan