United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwilson View Post
Typically you would want them like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsmums View Post
Do yourself a favor and order a tractor and a pusher MAS three bladed 8x6 prop. The GWS props loose a lot of thrust because they are so flexible.

The diagram shows the correct way for counter rotating props to turn as they match the direction the tip vortex goes from the bottom of the wing to the top. The P-38 like the diagram shows actually rotated the props the opposite way the diagram shows. This was to give them better control if one engine failed.
Thanks guys, I've set it up like you show (and not like the real P38).

MAS is not popular here in the UK (especially as they are considered noisy on IC motors) and the only searches on the net for them led me to US suppliers. Same old problem as the motor shafts.

As the model seems to have an excess of power, I don't think the loss of some of that power to inefficient props will matter a great deal. I only had max throttle set at 65% before, so have plenty to play with.

Will let you know when I get to fly her again.

Good night

E G
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
I was searching around for props and one of the guys at the field said to buy an over sized GWS prop($1.83 ea.) and cut it down to the right size. He said by cutting it down, it would get rid of the flimsy tips and get down to the stronger root that will now be the tip.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:39 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
Took my C-47 up to 1050 feet today. This plane never fails to impress me in the air. I love a plane that does just what you want it to, one you can predict it's response to control inputs.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:51 AM
The sky is the limit
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
My FMS B25's were delivered from the factory with the props counterrotating as the P38 picture/drawing further above shows. Never had problems but never ended up single engine either.
BAF23 is online now Find More Posts by BAF23
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAF23 View Post
My FMS B25's were delivered from the factory with the props counterrotating as the P38 picture/drawing further above shows. Never had problems but never ended up single engine either.
GWS props arrived today and installed as per drawing above. Just need the weather now to test fly.
Following Bettsmums comment, I've increased top end throttle to 75% from 65%incase they do loose a lot of thrust.
I've got some other make (unknown) 8X6x3b on back order with another UK company if this doesn't work out.
AND
a friend of mine with a lathe has offered to open up the holes in the original props and drill and tap the domed nuts for me, so various options coming together.
Loved the view from WVrailfan at 1000+ft the beautiful colours of autumn (fall).

Regards

E G
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
110 Posts
Will likely be picking up this plane very soon, I need to know where to buy and how to install the steerable tail gear? Also I would like some extra clearance between the props and ground, could I add bigger tires? I read someone in here added shocks which in return raised the plane up a bit??
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
Will likely be picking up this plane very soon, I need to know where to buy and how to install the steerable tail gear? Also I would like some extra clearance between the props and ground, could I add bigger tires? I read someone in here added shocks which in return raised the plane up a bit??
Hi Donnyd21,

there is no kit available to do this steerable tail-wheel. I suggest you look at the very good construction videos available here: -

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-8931-c47-green-arf.html

I've just retro fitted mine and is a lot more difficult than shown there during construction.

I didn't think it necessary until I started flying her. You do!

I haven't had a problem with ground clearance on the stock props flying off a well mown, flat field site here in Lincolnshire, UK. See my pictures at Post #2479.

I know that some folks have taken out the stock wheels in favour of larger ones, but not so sure I read about the shocks option.

Handled with care and flown as scale as possible, it is a beautiful plane.

Most of the problems encountered have been covered in this forum, often more than once.

I don't think you will regret buying one.

All the best

E G
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:39 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
The counter rotating props will make a big change in low speed handling but that is about the only advantage. it's still a screw ball on the ground on roll out.
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:35 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving! To windy to fly, so lets eat and check out the Black Friday plane deals
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
Agreed!!! Too windy....but you have a plan my friend!!!!
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
Dead still here in Central Alabama... But I am in the kitchen cooking. But I have been getting out some this morning and making a few 5 min hops.
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
The counter rotating props will make a big change in low speed handling but that is about the only advantage. it's still a screw ball on the ground on roll out.
Strange you should say that. I found, even before I did the steering tail-wheel option, that, by coming in fairly steeply, with the throttles almost closed and flaring a few feet above the ground and letting it gentle settle with the remaining forward speed. It was then possible to 'fly' the tail to the ground and keep it tracking straight until the tail could be 'forced' down hard with full up for the final roll out.

At which point, without the steering tail-wheel, it was fairly difficult to return to the pits! That has changed with the steering, but still needs lots of up elevator and some throttle to make it really work well.

I am (as is the whole club) really spoiled with the flying field. (see these co-ordinates: Latitude 5244'29.45"N Longitude 017'27.69"W on Google Earth for our 4.5 acre flat field site) It is possible to land and take off in any direction, determined by the wind direction. There are virtually no obsticles in any direction except the club hut and twelve foot hedgerow at the eastern corner and a sole sapling in the northern corner.Prevailing wind is westerly with just the standing crops in the surrounding fields to negotiate at certain times.

Rarely do we need to do any cross wind approaches or landings, except in the case of dead-sticks for the IC guys or emergency landings.

When I see some of the fields you guys are using, I cringe. There is no way I could cope with some of them, especially those surrounded by trees or those with power lines, light standards and other tall obstructions close by. All credit to you all.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving and keep up the flying whenever you can get out there.

E G
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
I have a couple of the little 808 keyfob cameras. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap, and there is an extensive thread here at RC Groups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566331

They weigh about 20 grams and are actually rather sleek for what we use them for. If you look at the second photo of my C-47 you can see the small black camera mounted on top of the tail. I have also mounted it on the horizontal stab and removed the cockpit/canopy and mounted it on the battery looking to the side. I use a small piece of velcro and sometimes some tape for insurance. They record video, then I just capture any stills I like.

I have used them on my HZ Super Cub, FMS Cessna and this plane. For the price, they add cheap fun to my RC flying.

https://vimeo.com/31584973

https://vimeo.com/51107459

There are a ton of folks using them and doing it a lot better than I am. I'm still learning and just having some fun.

Jim
Took our PZ Corsair out today with our new 808 keycam on board. I mounted it on the canopy right in front of the pilot and skewed to the left to eliminate the prop view. My son took the plane up when he relates he was having trouble with the elevator. He said the plane would dive and that he had no up elevator, almost like a brown out. It happened at least twice. He landed safely and while taxiing back, he relates the motor cut off then back on I removed the canopy and checked to see if the receiver was blinking. Nope, all seemed OK. I took the camera off, flew again, and didn't seem to have any more issue The only thing I can think of is that the camera is mounted almost directly above the receiver and somehow it effected the signal, even though the receiver does not show signs of a brown out. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, can you flip/rotate a video like a picture or is the video only one orientation. Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:41 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
766 Posts
Hmmm- wonder if there is a float kit big enough???

Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
684 Posts
I have attached a pic of my two DC3's from Dynam. They fly well although I find the grand handling problematic.

The one on the left has a castoring tailwheel, an external rudder servo at the rear, half flaps set permanently and a parachute drop hatch in the belly. The the one on the right has a steerable tailwheel. Both have MAS counter rotating props.

The steerable tailwheel was made by adding a second rudder servo using a y connector and a rod running back to a servo arm glued to the top of the tailwheel leg with JB weld. It works well for taxi but its almost useless on landing where I still find it difficult to maintain directional control as the rudder loses effectiveness.

The one with the free castoring tailwheel is downright hilarious. After losing rudder control on the landing roll it simply goes wherever it wants to. I may consider using JB weld to glue the tailwheel fixed straight. Has anybody had any luck with this?
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum