HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
OK, so let me get this straight, the only prep you do is wipe it down with acetone & IPA. What does the acetone do that the IPA doesn't? Sanding before or between coats? If so, what grit? No base coat to seal the foam? It looks like you use rattle cans from an autoparts store? No problems with any paint being pulled up when removing the tape? How about a final clear coat? I appreciate you sharing your projects with us. Absolutely incredible! Keep'em coming
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:19 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
The acetone will get all the release agent off the foam... then that Alcohol will clean any residue from the acetone...... Yes, for this one Chevrolet engine orange enamel, Duip Color VW pearl white and aluminum bumper spray for the silver,. No clear coat. It will dull the silver to grey, The Yellow Frog tape will not lift the paint. No sanding is required.
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgeoff View Post
re this C of G thing.

I've settled for around the 70mm mark. It still feels nose heavy at this, but prefer it that way as I experiment further with the new batteries/extraweight (when weather allows).
By doing the tailwheel conversion, I'm going to add some tail weight, but will still set the battery to give 70 mm to start and work on from there.
Mine isn't a twitchy as yours, but just does 'feel' quite right.

All the best

EG
For my bird I think im going with 75mm. I am certain I have almost tamed this beast from its pitchy attitude. All and all great flyer cant wait to fly her again. Had a half charged batt issue today and had to do some interesting landing technique that scared my spectators....she wasnt going to glide so I had to do a carrier style landing with about 45 degree pitch down to get the bird enough airspeed to make runway and then slam on the brake....using a forward slip after making runway to keep from an overshoot. I am rather proud of that landing..it was one of those that just worked out like i had it planned. best part is its all on camera...now if youtube would load this decade I can show you guys my little Piedmont in the air.
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
GOT TO SEE IT! I love aggressive landings that turn out ok.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
Well that's it for tonight some touch up and install the electrical in the morning and maybe a flight if the weather is good.

Last edited by Spookeay; Nov 01, 2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:29 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 flyby View Post
For my bird I think im going with 75mm. I am certain I have almost tamed this beast from its pitchy attitude. All and all great flyer cant wait to fly her again. Had a half charged batt issue today and had to do some interesting landing technique that scared my spectators....she wasnt going to glide so I had to do a carrier style landing with about 45 degree pitch down to get the bird enough airspeed to make runway and then slam on the brake....using a forward slip after making runway to keep from an overshoot. I am rather proud of that landing..it was one of those that just worked out like i had it planned. best part is its all on camera...now if youtube would load this decade I can show you guys my little Piedmont in the air.
Can't wait to see that either.

With 70mm I get a bit of a glide, but not like a glider!

With good positioning, about 30 ft up on landing approach, just short of the field perimeter in moderate breeze, I can make it to the ground by dipping the nose just a little and allowing the inertia to bring it on in. Just a gentle pull back a couple of feet off the deck and she settles nicely without too much of a run out.

If I can get someone at the site to video, will post it on youtube, but usually fly alone.

All the best

EG
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:32 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
[QUOTE=Spookeay;23152219]Well that's it for tonight some touch up and install the electrical in the morning and maybe a flight if the weather is good.
[QUOTE]

My, you get yours painted up quick and beautifully in no time. This is looking real nice.

Great tutorial too.

EG
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
Well, the first flight almost ended in total disaster. The Dynam DC-3 kits come as just that, kits. In this case I put all the time into the paint job but forgot to glue the elevator horn into the elevator. In my pre flight right was right and left was left. Up was up............ Here is the problem. No down! YIKES! I was not sure what was wrong after take off but i knew it was bad. I could not keep it from climbing... SO a few loops later I realized I had to control it with the engines only. All would have been well if my friend who was recording the fist flight had got out of the way. DUAAA! so any way I was forsed off the smooth and need some new paint on my right wing tip. BUT! at-least it was not a total lost. Lesson today. Make sure every thing works both ways, up and down on pre flight.

Almost the end (1 min 29 sec)
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
Spookeay - NICE SAVE! You kept your head and didn't give up till the last piece stopped moving! You, young lady are a steely-eyed aviator. Now you just need to work on that preflight

Russ Farris
pookielips1954 is offline Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Last edited by pookielips1954; Nov 02, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,695 Posts
Great skills.
Nice job on the recovery
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:31 AM
The sky is the limit
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
Hey Spookeay, great skill using bank angle and engine power to vary pitch. Bringing it in on an open field would already have been a performance, bringing it in on the limited confines of where you operate from required uttermost dexterity.
Good show, Laurence
BAF23 is offline Find More Posts by BAF23
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:58 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
NNNooooOOOOOOOoooooooo!

omg POND!

omg TREES!

WHEW...

Nice save Spookeay, so nice that she didn't end up a white/orange cloud of confetti.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
571 Posts
I agree, awesome job! What motors, ESC's, props & batteries are you running? Thinking about building up another one. We are the second owners of the one we have and are running 1400KV motors, 30A ESC's, 2200mah 11.1v 20c batteries and unknown prop size due to them being cut down. I need to get some adapters and borrow my buddies watt meter to check what kind of juice we are pulling.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
Thanks Guys.... It had my bum puckered up for sure. maybe if the winds calms down this afternoon I can try it again.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
I am still working on getting mine up on youtube. That was a sweet landing spookeay!!! Seriously sweet hand work!!
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby