HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:04 AM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
256 Posts
Great nose art on the B-25!
Just curious... what's the English translation of "Plesiran 'Neer"?

Regards,
-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:18 AM
The sky is the limit
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Aug 2012
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins View Post
Great nose art on the B-25!
Just curious... what's the English translation of "Plesiran 'Neer"?
Regards,
-- Rod
That B25 has been painted in a color scheme worn by a 18sqn Dutch Air Force when it operated in the far east during WW2. The "Plesiran Neer" is a phonetic rendering of what the local girls speaking a kind of local Dutch colony language used to invite the western miltary crew for some pleasures. "Neer" is an abreviated version of "mijnheer", Dutch for sir. It just means: "do you want me to please you sir"? On the other side is no graphic art, but just "the 2C's". That should be self explanatory after the previous explaination and nose art.
Quote:
BAF, do you ever wish you had taken more pictures of the planes you flew.
I have pictures of almost all the aircraft I flew, but most are slides or printed on paper, or on 8mm film and not digitized yet. From other ones I don't have pictures because I flew them during Tactical evaluations where taking pictures was out of bounce for secrecy. That's why I still miss pictures of me in an F18, F111, Tornado, F4, Harrier, F100, Jaguar, Lightning, Buccaneer, Hunter and many others, but I have the tail numbers in my logbooks and the memory full of thrilling aviation hours. I have superb (even air to air) pictures from my US Air Force UPT training at Vance AFB distinguished graduate Class 73-04) and from 10 years on Starfighters and my years with the Fouga Magister Team or F16 pilot. I wasn't much of a photographer back then and am glad to now find images of "my airplanes" on the internet, especially when the tail numbers match and they are somewhere still being preserved from the ax-men.
With a US air force command pilot license, Belgian military wings, a US ATP multi-engine rating and US and Belgian commercial pilot rating plus instructor qualification it was easy for me to get in most airplanes I wanted to taste, and that's what I did till I quit. No regrets and great balls of fire
BAF23 is online now Find More Posts by BAF23
Last edited by BAF23; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,780 Posts
Took my C-47 up today around sunset. I love flying in the evenings, calm winds, great colors in the sky, and this time of year, great colors on the ground also.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:36 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
Took my C-47 up today around sunset. I love flying in the evenings, calm winds, great colors in the sky, and this time of year, great colors on the ground also.

Jim
I love it... I'm not the only one who has to fly in valleys of Appalachia.
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
BAF23, that story and picture of the Nomad was just unbelievable. Your decision reminded me of Ernest K. Gann in "Fate is the Hunter" - he quit while he was ahead. But flying the F-104 must have been fantastic! For me, the DC-3 was the most interesting part of my career - spraying mosquitoes, fighting engines fires and such. I've spent the last 30 plus years driving big jets and that doesn't compare to the flying you did. And I own a 1957 Cessna 172. I'm not exactly Captain Excitement!

Back to the DC-3 - I'm considering doing your flap mod to mine. I think it lands a little fast and would benefit from the drag. I'm flying the Flyzone Beaver with the flaps and love it. Do you think the flap mod is worth doing?

Thanks, Russ Farris
pookielips1954 is offline Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:45 AM
The sky is the limit
Joined Aug 2012
202 Posts
The flap mod helps for controlling the glide path more precisely. Without flaps you sometimes have to throttle back too much and without the propwash over the elevator and rudder it is very difficult to control the flare and after touchdown. Cracking the flaps down in base allows you to make a powered approach and just like with the real DC3, just check the sink rate before touchdown slightly tail low but certainly not trying to reach 3-point. Contrary to the real one, leave a pit of power till it is almost stopped, to be able to keep giving some down force on the tail with full up elevator. The full flaps and high induced drag of the 3-point attitude during rollout decelerate the model in a very realistic way. AND the biggest pluspoint of flaps: they look very smart without causing pitch changes. Just as with the real one, I don't use them for takeoff, but always include a few curved low approaches with full flaps in my routine, people find that the most realistic bit or the flight (being stuck with that fixed gear on our model).
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
Well my Piedmont DC-3 is just lacking a few small touch ups and few more things to do scale wise but her she is with her new decals!
P-51 flyby is online now Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 flyby View Post
Well my Piedmont DC-3 is just lacking a few small touch ups and few more things to do scale wise but her she is with her new decals!
Looks great, nice job.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
Thanks jim more pics tommorow! On my next build I am going to use some of that stuff you used on your birds.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
P-51 flyby, your Piedmont DC-3 looks beautiful. Did you do the graphics?

BAF23, thanks for the feedback. I have noticed on final with my DC-3 any power change, particularly a reduction has a pitch change that is difficult to smoothly correct; just as you describe. I'm thinking of using three 5 gram servos on my version of the flaps, still doing the mental engineering on working it out. Russ Farris
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:26 AM
The sky is the limit
Joined Aug 2012
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookielips1954 View Post
I have noticed on final with my DC-3 any power change, particularly a reduction has a pitch change that is difficult to smoothly correct; just as you describe.
I don't experience pitch changes with power adjustments in final on mine, keeping the 14° downtrust on the engines probably takes care of that, mixing elevator with power might not come in along the same curves, and working with offsets might takes tens of flights finding an acceptable balance.
Quote:
I'm thinking of using three 5 gram servos on my version of the flaps, still doing the mental engineering on working it out. Russ Farris
Initially I also thought about using more flap servo's (thus eliminating the piano wire slide link at their trailing edge) but I finally opted for only one because I was afraid light servos might get strained and I would hate an asymmetric flap situation with this model. 5 gram servo's might work on the outboard sections, but using only one for the wide mid section seems stretching it a bit. I use a single 9gr digital metal gear servo because apparently those remain in the desired position without consuming power once they reach the desired point. I found such servo's perfect for gear, flaps and nose (tail) wheel steering purposes. Mine are from a cheap unnamed brand but who cares if they only command non-vital accessories.
Good luck, Laurence
Last edited by BAF23; Oct 23, 2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookielips1954 View Post
P-51 flyby, your Piedmont DC-3 looks beautiful. Did you do the graphics?

BAF23, thanks for the feedback. I have noticed on final with my DC-3 any power change, particularly a reduction has a pitch change that is difficult to smoothly correct; just as you describe. I'm thinking of using three 5 gram servos on my version of the flaps, still doing the mental engineering on working it out. Russ Farris
Thanks. To an extent I did the graphics. Callie did a few of them. If you go to my blog you will see all the photos and progress of this plane.

I just flew her for the first time as the DC-3! I adjusted the cg to the 65mm area...not sure if I like it there. Had a great flight never the less batt didnt last long..but she flew well only a few more details to add and she will be done for sure. Still need to add some windows to her.
Last edited by P-51 flyby; Oct 23, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:08 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,861 Posts
P-51 flyby

looks great - nice work

NEWS A friend works for a paint company that makes a rubberize
spay they use to cover plexiglass when they store aircraft .
well they make a product that is flexable and as I'm told will stick
to EPO foam - so it can be masked for color painting .
A sample is on its way - should be here next week

I will try it and let everyone know how it works
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
Well, I figured out why during approaches the DC-3 pitches down when power is reduced.
The foam cover over the wires on the bottom of the wing had dropped down nearly an inch (so much for a good pre-flight.) When power was brought back the drag of the foam section caused the pitch over. Fixed now, much easier to land. I also added 2.0 ounces to the nose which helps with the tracking on takeoff and overall flyability. Russ Farris
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:21 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1 View Post
P-51 flyby

looks great - nice work

NEWS A friend works for a paint company that makes a rubberize
spay they use to cover plexiglass when they store aircraft .
well they make a product that is flexable and as I'm told will stick
to EPO foam - so it can be masked for color painting .
A sample is on its way - should be here next week

I will try it and let everyone know how it works
If it is anything like Bob Dively liquid mask I wouldn't get too excited. I use it and there is a learning curve which is steep I may add. If it turns out to not be like liquid mask, then I am excited.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen