SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:02 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
Spookeay's Avatar
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,139 Posts
Such a pretty day today. At lunch I decided to blow the dust off the C-47 and DC-3. I thought I would get a photo of the flight line.
Spookeay is online now Find More Posts by Spookeay
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
Registered User
lebl468's Avatar
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Good looking planes Spookeay!
lebl468 is offline Find More Posts by lebl468
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:16 AM
Registered User
Australia, TAS, Wynyard
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Nice looking fleet
christhomas is offline Find More Posts by christhomas
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:40 AM
Registered User
electricgeoff's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
They're as pretty as the picture.

Nice work.

EG
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:44 AM
Registered User
electricgeoff's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by park aviator View Post
hi guys i converted my dc3 over to two 8x6 mas 3 blade props by cutting the motor shafts to leave say 10mm long and using two hobbyking 3mm collet prop adaptors and now flies with much less throttle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsmums View Post
I cut the shaft to 10mm long. The pusher propeller gors on the right motor.
Looks like both you guys have come up with a good solution to this problem.

I'm suspecting that this makes the shafts less liable to bending too.

Think this will be the way to go before too long.

Still no replies yet on the original colour of the paints used in original for.

Any one know???
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
Registered User
WVrailfan's Avatar
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgeoff View Post
Looks like both you guys have come up with a good solution to this problem.

I'm suspecting that this makes the shafts less liable to bending too.

Think this will be the way to go before too long.

Still no replies yet on the original colour of the paints used in original for.

Any one know???
EG, if you are looking to match the green that Dynam used, you are likely on your own. The WW II C-47s were Olive Drab green and you can use about any good model paint to get the look. The Dynam plane is also a glossy green, so at the very least should have a good coat of clear flat added to make it look better.

If you just need to do some touch up, I'd just pick up a bottle of OD green model paint and take care of it and then hit the entire plane with a coat of flat.

Repairs and touch up on the real planes never matched the original paint, so you will just make it look "scale."

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Last edited by WVrailfan; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
Registered User
electricgeoff's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
EG, if you are looking to match the green that Dynam used, you are likely on your own. The WW II C-47s were Olive Drab green and you can use about any good model paint to get the look. The Dynam plane is also a glossy green, so at the very least should have a good coat of clear flat added to make it look better.

If you just need to do some touch up, I'd just pick up a bottle of OD green model paint and take care of it and then hit the entire plane with a coat of flat.

Repairs and touch up on the real planes never matched the original paint, so you will just make it look "scale."

Jim
Thanks Jim,

the UK version is matt painted top and bottom (except the engine nacelles, which are matt painted inside!! giving a glossy look from the outside!!! and the decals which are all shiny).

I've already tried a number of 'off the shelf' greens and a grey (for the underside), but none matches.

I'll keep looking as Humbrol do a US Drab Olive on their charts in a matt (flat) finish, just need to find a shop stocking it.

The decals have had a coat of matt (clear flat) finish lacquor and look much better (see post #2479).

I don't want to go down the route of painting the whole model (although with all the power available, I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem), but will probably settle for the aged, repaired look and add some further 'weathering' to aid the much used look.

Regards

EG
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
Registered User
WVrailfan's Avatar
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,705 Posts
An extra coat of paint isn't going to hurt the flying capabilities of the plane. I painted my white and red Army version over a coat of gray primer, over the original green paint and it flies just fine. I also have one I covered with vinyl and polyester film. I can't tell any difference between them in the air.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
Registered User
electricgeoff's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
An extra coat of paint isn't going to hurt the flying capabilities of the plane. I painted my white and red Army version over a coat of gray primer, over the original green paint and it flies just fine. I also have one I covered with vinyl and polyester film. I can't tell any difference between them in the air.

Jim
Great Jim,

Will see what comes along then.

I've enjoyed the initial setting up flights, but think it will benefit from some 'ballast' or added weight of some kind.

Think I will be retro fitting the steerable tailwheel and would love a go at the paratroop dropping option one subscriber mentioned.

Time will tell. Been really short of flying days this year, so here's to a quiet and fairly warm winter.

Regards

EG
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:34 PM
Registered User
rgwilson's Avatar
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Dynam C-47 flight

I finally got to fly my C-47 for the second time. I'm going to have to improve my tail dragger ground handling skills. She is stock except for the steerable tail wheel mod and HS-81's for the rudder and elevator. I used a 2200 mAh 30C battery and she had plenty of power and handled very well in the air, really good for a $100 plane.

Nitroplanes C-47 (9 min 21 sec)
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:10 PM
Doushiyou12's Avatar
Joined Feb 2010
1,689 Posts
Awesome field. Nice flying
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:47 PM
Registered User
P-51 flyby's Avatar
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,109 Posts
She can handle extra paint quite well. I have stripped the green paint...sanded the white foam...added a lot of coats of paint as well as well as a ton of wood filler to fix my dc-3...just check out my blog and you will see. She handles very well just keep the steam up in the turns.
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
Registered User
electricgeoff's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwilson View Post
I finally got to fly my C-47 for the second time. I'm going to have to improve my tail dragger ground handling skills. She is stock except for the steerable tail wheel mod and HS-81's for the rudder and elevator. I used a 2200 mAh 30C battery and she had plenty of power and handled very well in the air, really good for a $100 plane.
Great place to fly this lovely plane. Well done. Really looks the part.

Mine doesn't have the steerable tailwheel yet and I'm contemplating not bothering, as my GH is no worse than yours

Must try to get some aeriel footage of mine over the flat Lincolnshire fields.

EG
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
Registered User
rcflyinff's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by park aviator View Post
hi guys i converted my dc3 over to two 8x6 mas 3 blade props by cutting the motor shafts to leave say 10mm long and using two hobbyking 3mm collet prop adaptors and now flies with much less throttle.
Could you please explain the reason to cut down the shafts to use these props. Thanks....Doug
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
Registered User
rgwilson's Avatar
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Dynam C-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgeoff View Post
Great place to fly this lovely plane. Well done. Really looks the part.

Mine doesn't have the steerable tailwheel yet and I'm contemplating not bothering, as my GH is no worse than yours

Must try to get some aeriel footage of mine over the flat Lincolnshire fields.

EG
Yes, I would love to see it! I just recently picked up a Swan Freestyle HD action cam (it's like the GoPro) that I put in a Parkzone T-28, I just need to figure out how to attach it to this plane. I believe it would be a great platform for some aerial photography. I'm thinking I could slide my battery back and mount it on top of the fuse where the battery hatch goes and not mess up the CG too bad.

I'm going to have to remember to keep the tail down longer for a better roll on take offs and hold it down on landings. I did replace the hard plastic tail wheel with a rubber wheel hoping I would have better control. I have several other tail draggers, but this one seems to be one of the hardest to keep straight, but it's still a great plane for the money.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DC-3 Plans blackwidow18 Australia 2 Jan 17, 2010 08:27 PM
Sold Celectra 4-Port 1S 3.7V 0.3A DC Li-Po Charger by E-flite dizzane Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Jan 15, 2010 09:02 AM
For Sale Great Planes DC-3 project sunderll Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Jan 12, 2010 07:34 PM
Sold Celectra 4-Port, 1-Cell, 3.7, 0.3A DC Li-Po Charger, Plus 3 240MAH Single Cell Packs. jafo216 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 9 Jan 01, 2010 11:55 AM
Sold Dynam 5-Channel Receiver/Dynam 3 in 1 Gyro CGReload Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 3 Aug 18, 2008 04:40 PM