HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
I just plug them in to an unused channel on the reciever, but the light set has an additional plug so you can use a seperate battery. I fly 5 - 6 minutes on a 2200 3s and usually put about 1300 back in the battery, so I don't think the lights are drawing enough to worry about.

Jim
Great! Thank you very much.
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,746 Posts
Since yesterday was the last official day of summer, I spent a couple of hours at the flying field just before sunset.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:29 PM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2008
145 Posts
Details

A few pics for anyone that may want some close ups for scale detail on the C-47.
toddsl is offline Find More Posts by toddsl
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:56 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,147 Posts
Such a pretty afternoon here in Central Alabama today I had to take the DC-3 up and look at the leaves changing.

Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
Such a pretty afternoon here in Central Alabama today I had to take the DC-3 up and look at the leaves changing.

Nice shot. What kind of camera are you using and how much does it affect flying the plane?

Jim
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:48 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
551 Posts
Quote:
Got a couple of flights in today just about sunset. My favorite time to fly. Little to no breeze, quiet, and lights on a plane start to look really cool.

Jim
Still amazes me how nice your plane looks. We just ordered a light kit for my sons plane. How did you install the light on top of the vertical stab? Did you use a hobby knife or a soldering gun to channel out the foam for the wires? Thank you and keep those pictures coming
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:52 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,023 Posts
Be very careful putting a camera out toward the wing tip !
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Still amazes me how nice your plane looks. We just ordered a light kit for my sons plane. How did you install the light on top of the vertical stab? Did you use a hobby knife or a soldering gun to channel out the foam for the wires? Thank you and keep those pictures coming
I use a small 8 inch long, maybe 1/8 inch diameter, piece of brass tube that I have filed the inside of the end and sanded the outside so it is sharp. I chuck it in a drill and slowly drill down the stab to make the path for the wire for the LED at the top of the stab. I had to cut the wire to the LED (leaving a fairly long lead to the LED) and reconnect it after I got it fed down through the stab.
This is the second Dynam C-47/DC-3 I have used this trick on.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Jim
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
551 Posts
Quote:
I use a small 8 inch long, maybe 1/8 inch diameter, piece of brass tube that I have filed the inside of the end and sanded the outside so it is sharp. I chuck it in a drill and slowly drill down the stab to make the path for the wire for the LED at the top of the stab. I had to cut the wire to the LED (leaving a fairly long lead to the LED) and reconnect it after I got it fed down through the stab.

Jim
Sounds a bit scary to me I would really like to do it though. Does the tube stay in there as a chase? You must have a steady hand to not pop out the side of that stab. Unless I get really confident, I'm contemplating putting it on the top of the fuselage near the tail instead.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Nice shot. What kind of camera are you using and how much does it affect flying the plane?

Jim
It's the Hobby King Wing cam.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html

The effect is very minor. Knowing it's there you correct and then trim up it's only 28 grams....
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,746 Posts
I took my C-47 and a few other planes to the Summit Motorsport Park in OH over the weekend. A good friend of mine owns and drives the Tulsa County Heat Wave jet funny car and I was there hanging out with him. We get to display our hot rod cop cars together now and then.

He is just getting in to RC flying, even though he has been inolved in avation in one form or another all of his adult life. His first RC flight was flying my HZ Super Cub. Now he is flying an FMS Cessna 182 and I think the C-47 is now on his "must have" list.

He took a couple of shots of me and my plane with his phone.
I took a couple of him in his car with my camera.

Jim
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:04 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
757 Posts
Jim,

AWESOME photos!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Neil
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
551 Posts
Quote:

Jim
Sir, I hate to be a pain in the neck, but would you be able to post up close pictures of your lights. The wingtip looks so thin, that I'm not sure how the light will fit. Did you use the black collars that the light snaps into? Did you use a hobby knife or a soldering iron to make the wire channel in the wing? Sorry for all of the questions, but it seems to me that you are the one that has the answers. Thank you....Doug
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Sir, I hate to be a pain in the neck, but would you be able to post up close pictures of your lights. The wingtip looks so thin, that I'm not sure how the light will fit. Did you use the black collars that the light snaps into? Did you use a hobby knife or a soldering iron to make the wire channel in the wing? Sorry for all of the questions, but it seems to me that you are the one that has the answers. Thank you....Doug
I use a new Xacto knife and metal straight edge to cut a very small, maybe 1 to 2 mm wide at the top and 1 to 2 mm deep V shaped groove in the bottom of the wing out to about an inch from the wing tip. I used my brass tube drill to drill the hole in the wing tip in far enough to meet the groove I cut in the wing. (You can use a small wood dowel sharpened like a pencile for this)

I inserted the LED in the hole at the end of the V groove and pushed it out to the wing tip with a small wood dowel. Then I pushed the wire down into the groove and covered it with tape prior to painting the wing. I didn't use the little black collars. I did paint the opening a dark gray before inserting the LED so the wing tip won't glow when the LED lights up.

In the attached photo you can see the tape that covers the groove I cut in the wing. I also used a hole punch to make a clean hole in a piece of tape and painted it the same color as the wing then laid it over the LED and folded it over to protect the wing tip some. As you can see, the wing is showing some signs of hanger rash, I need to do some touch up painting.

Jim
Last edited by WVrailfan; Oct 03, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:25 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
551 Posts
Quote:
I use a new Xacto knife and metal straight edge to cut a very small, maybe 1 to 2 mm wide at the top and 1 to 2 mm deep V shaped groove in the bottom of the wing out to about an inch from the wing tip. I used my brass tube drill to drill the hole in the wing tip in far enough to meet the groove I cut in the wing. (You can use a small wood dowel sharpened like a pencile for this)

I inserted the LED in the hole at the end of the V groove and pushed it out to the wing tip with a small wood dowel. Then I pushed the wire down into the groove and covered it with tape prior to painting the wing. I didn't use the little black collars. I did paint the opening a dark gray before inserting the LED so the wing tip won't glow when the LED lights up.

In the attached photo you can see the tape that covers the groove I cut in the wing. I also used a hole punch to make a clean hole in a piece of tape and painted it the same color as the wing then laid it over the LED and folded it over to protect the wing tip some. As you can see, the wing is showing some signs of hanger rash, I need to do some touch up painting.

Jim
Thank you for taking your time to help me.

Doug