HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
As this kit is so like (is exactly the same as) the Dynam kit available Stateside and elsewhere, I have transferred from the small thread I started running at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post22713458

My Top Gun Douglas C47 Dakota model arrived today (after a wait of a couple of weeks) with a couple of problems (see pictures). This must have happened when the parts were packed in China as the boxes and mailing cover was completely untouched.

However, having discussed the bends and stress fractures in the foam with the supplier, it was agreed that it is possible to fix without them sending two new parts (fuselage and tailplane).

Decent glueing, the application of a couple of cocktail sticks and some careful support in the appropriate places will almost certainly bring all the parts together and have them straight and flyable eventually.

There are a few other small issues, like the fact that the cut edges of the rudder, ailerons and elevators are still glaringly white. Also the cockpit edge is damaged and the battery hatch cockpit cover edge is similarly visible. Luckily, I have plenty of various camouflage colours from well known static kits of warbirds, these will soon be covered in.

Everything else seems fine. There are two sets of props and spinners, plenty of small screws (just incase we fumble fingered westerners drop them I assume) and I will enjoy putting everything together over the coming days.

I intend going for the steerable tailwheel option described somewhere on this huge thread and also the cooling vents for the ESC's, also found on this site.

I hope other UK flyers will soon be recieving theirs and that we shall hear more about this kit and flying it from more folk.
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgeoff View Post
My Top Gun Douglas C47 Dakota model arrived today (after a wait of a couple of weeks) with a couple of problems (see pictures). This must have happened when the parts were packed in China as the boxes and mailing cover was completely untouched........
Here are the pictures of the damage.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
572 Posts
Sorry to hear about your plane electricgeoff. Makes me wonder if we should purchase this plane or not. Do you think the repairs will be in depth? Please keep us posted with your progress.
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:38 AM
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Sorry to hear about your plane electricgeoff. Makes me wonder if we should purchase this plane or not. Do you think the repairs will be in depth? Please keep us posted with your progress.
Don't be put off by my small troubles. She has gone together pretty well and I only had to use one cocktail stick to keep things tight while the glue set.

Consider this, in the States I have seen these advertised for $119. I have had to pay £138 = $220 (special intro offer; RRP £148) and the problem almost certainly came out of the factory, probably as a one in very many, although there has been no UK feedback yet on the previous link I was using.

Having read selected posts on this huge forum, there are lots of other things to be considered besides my problems.

I think it is good value, but the finish is somewhat worse than, say, my Wot 4 foam-e, Acro Wot foam-e both from Ripmax and my Extra 300 foam-e from Parkzone. Panel joints are not as close as they could be, elevator control binds where it sits in the opening at the rear, necessitating some cutting away, One engine nacelle bottom is way off when fitted, but hey, we're supposed to be modellers and can overcome these small setbacks, annoying as they sometimes are.

However, I wanted to have both a twin and a warbird and have always liked the shape and sounds of this old girl (the BBMF has one) and when I researched it's squadron markings and found that they related to the only ever Victoria Cross winning pilot of a Transport Command aircraft, it was too good a chance to miss out on.

I have yet to pin down exactly the markings of the aircraft as some websites have YS - L and others YS - DM, but I will.

So in the long run, you pays your money and you takes the chance.

I'm hoping for a good one eventually.

Will post more pictures etc as I go along.

EG
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doushiyou12 View Post
Creeping my way closer to the maiden. Its been about a month and half since I received this plane. Just haven't had time. defiantly did the steerable tail wheel. Few more things need to be done.

Huge dent that I was really upset with. filled in with light Spackle.
Hi, have been following your posts on here, although only just goy one of these over here in UK.

Notice your ESC hatch not fitting well either.

Anyway, I wanted to ask, what is spackle? How light is it and could I fill all the panel joints with it?

Haven't got far with mine yet, although retired, there is always something else that gets in the way!!!!

Looks good though so far.

EG
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,781 Posts
Got a couple of flights in today just about sunset. My favorite time to fly. Little to no breeze, quiet, and lights on a plane start to look really cool.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
572 Posts
Very nice!! Those lights really look cool. Great detail. Happy Flying!
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Hi, have been following your posts on here, although only just goy one of these over here in UK.

Notice your ESC hatch not fitting well either.

Anyway, I wanted to ask, what is spackle? How light is it and could I fill all the panel joints with it?

Haven't got far with mine yet, although retired, there is always something else that gets in the way!!!!

EG
EG
I use Lightweight Spackling Compound to repair nicks and damage to my foam planes. It is sold in home repair stores for patching walls. It is very light when it dries and easy to sand smooth. A 1 quart (946mL) container will last you a long time.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
Got a couple of flights in today just about sunset. My favorite time to fly. Little to no breeze, quiet, and lights on a plane start to look really cool.

Jim
Agreed with the lights for sure! Nice looking model!
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
EG
I use Lightweight Spackling Compound to repair nicks and damage to my foam planes. It is sold in home repair stores for patching walls. It is very light when it dries and easy to sand smooth. A 1 quart (946mL) container will last you a long time.
Jim
Thanks Jim,

I have found the equivilant over this side of the pond, not all your 'stuff' travels with the same name, but this has.

Will get some and use accordingly.

E G
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:

EG
Spoken too soon.

Back to the build today, or to setting up the wiring and the radio more precisely.

Bound to Tx OK, but intermittent motor start one side and flap operation other side. Took off the y-lead supplied for both ESC's and ailerons and found by wiggling, both ailerons worked. Tried the suggestion on here re ESC sinchro (never had a twin before) and seemed to solve motor problems, but aileron still bothered me.

I pulled back the heat shrink on one of the connections and found that only one pin was soldered to the wire, the other was just resting on the blob of solder. I checked the other two pins and the same result.

Have replaced both (can't risk other lead) with y-leads from another model for now, pending investigation by both model shop and importers.

Importers had written today to say they still think the bent fus and centre tailplane was transport damage, not done at source as I strongly suspect.

Hey ho, it has gone together OK, so not an issue except if others experience the same thing. This will probably go the same way, but it is all useful info for those importing, selling on and us end user. If it saves a model or two from some inexplicable crash or worse, I'll be happy.

EG
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:05 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,782 Posts
Dynam are notorious for bad Y connectors. Suggest if you like you model that you replace them.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Dynam are notorious for bad Y connectors. Suggest if you like you model that you replace them.
That's been done, don't you worry.

I know I've read it somewhere on this and other sites, but the CofG given in the instructions can't possibly be right. (60 -65 cm back from leading edge where it meets the fuselage)

I haven't put any lead in the tail and mine is balancing no where near on the set-up used in the Nitroplanes tutorial, where he shows the battery a good few inches back from the nose and then gets a balance point 'somewhere near the rear of the nacelles'?????

So what is it meant to be?????????????????

E G
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
Flying, crashing, (re)building
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
165 Posts
Hello all,

I have had one of these planes for a month but have not yet flown it, rather have spent the time painting and decorating it. Maybe when my paint job is done I may even post some pictures.

I've found this thread rather useful and hopefully I can avoid some the fate of others by adjusting or replacing the at-risk components.

Also, I am new to electric twins (as in never flown one before) and have contemplated the whole engine failure issue. Is there any way of limiting the wind-milling effect of the dead prop (e.g. some-how enable the ESC brake or go real fancy with an auto-feathering prop, which is probably way over-kill) so that engine failures aren't so deadly on model twins? The possibility of it occurring does worry me a bit, especially given how patchy the Dynam electrics may or may not be (I have another Dynam plane, the EP-400 which has flown many times on stock electrics without any problems at all).

Or I guess I could just do what I keep hearing is the best recovery method and pull the throttle almost all the way back and bring it in on one engine...
Elwood74 is offline Find More Posts by Elwood74
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:02 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
I wondered about this too, but in the end I think, and anyone chime in if I am wrong, that 10% of the yaw will be from dead prop drag and 90% is going to be from having power applied to one side only. In the end I decided not to obsess over it and just fly it. I have replaced the wiring, but not the ESC"s or motors, so we will see what happens. If it does have an engine failure, I think it will be a relatively cheap learning lesson on how to get a twin back to Earth in one piece.
lebl468 is offline Find More Posts by lebl468
Last edited by lebl468; Sep 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM.