SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:50 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
That came out real nice Tony!!! You did a great job on the camo. You have to get a video of this thing doing a slow low pass. Just remember ..... don't point the guns at anyone even if they are not loaded.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:55 AM
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
xplaneguy I am jealous of your paint job!! looks really good!!!
sh1bby69 is offline Find More Posts by sh1bby69
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:59 AM
zup
United States, PA, Oakdale
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
iwalton
sent ya a pm. yours looks nice. ya know if ya really wanted to make it slick you could fill in the foam with lightweight spackle thinned with water a little then cover it with 3/4 oz fiberglass and 20 min finishing expoy.
zup
zup is offline Find More Posts by zup
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:45 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
Well...after a two week wait, the Dynam Skybus finally looks like an AC-47...
All the best,
Tony
Sweeeet.

Tony, Nitroplanes had better stock a boatload of these planes, once people have a look at the finish job you've done on yours. (And it would be nice if they got in some parts, too).
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:20 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,829 Posts
Thanks Guys!

Blade-I hope Nitroplanes stocks a bunch more because have a lot of DC-3 ideas I'd like to see in the air.

Yesterday, I noticed the wings are drooping just a little, so I'm thinking about adding a carbon fiber rod to the bottom of the outboard wing panels. The additional dihedral would help stability. Anyone else seeing this issue?

By the way, the modified GWS props give ample ground clearance.

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 15, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:34 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,829 Posts
R4d-5

For those of you that fly in the snow, how about a R4D-5 mod? I'd like to see one of these Dynam birds flying off of snow.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:40 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
all of the planes on this thread really look great! awesome work, guys. i just ordered the 7x35 three bladed props for mine. these should look great (not as nice as tony's, however) and solve any prop clearance issues. nice weather forcast for tomorrow (no wind) so i am looking forward to getting my dc3 up (only for the second time so far). i just ordered my next plane, the great planes pby. looking forward to that one, another ww2 favorite.
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:48 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Three Blade results, The GWS DD 3 blade 7x3.5 put out a total of 139.9 watts at 12.45 amps. The GWS DD 3 blade 8x4 put out a total of 224.4 watts at 20.78 amps. These measurments were done with a higher grade 25C 2200 3 cell vs the stock battery. I figured if we did the measurments with a high quality pack, then there would be no issues with the 15c stock pack. The 40 amp controllers and motors will handle either with no issues. You might want to watch the stock pack with the 8x4's. The 7x3.5 will fly the C-47 with plenty of power to spare. The 8x4 will hover the airframe. Way Way too much power. I also reversed the right hand motor and put a reversed prop just for the cool factor. It really is sweet to have counter rotating props. I will be flying the 7x3.5's.
Scott- Have you flown the GWS 7x3.5 3-bladed props yet? The main reason why I ended up cutting down the GWS 8x4 3-bladed props was that the 7x3.5 props were too flimzy/flexible and I was concerned about lossing thrust. I watched a video by Dave Powers concerning GWS prop performance at speed and really used his cutdown example for the basis of mine. In the end, the cutdown 8x4 props looked a little more scale and provided better rigidity. I'm not sure about performance of these modified props until I run the motors.

I look forward to your results!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
tony, you found those 8x4x3 to be flimsy? un oh....i have a bunch of them commnig for my next plane....mainly for looks, because that one is going to hang in my hobby room (assuming i can keep it in one piece). if they are i also have some stock 8x4's comming too.

my 7x35's should be here in a couple of days, if scott does not beat me to it i'll post a flight report as well.

rob

ps.....any pics of the completed plane?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:26 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737 View Post
tony, you found those 8x4x3 to be flimsy? un oh....i have a bunch of them commnig for my next plane....mainly for looks, because that one is going to hang in my hobby room (assuming i can keep it in one piece). if they are i also have some stock 8x4's comming too.

my 7x35's should be here in a couple of days, if scott does not beat me to it i'll post a flight report as well.

rob

ps.....any pics of the completed plane?
rob- No...it's the 7x3.5 that are too flimsy IMHO. The 8x4 props are better and would do fine stock. By cutting them down to 7x4 they seem to have less flex and of course better ground clearance.

I rarely build during the week, so...no progress on the AC-47. The life of a full-time single father on active duty. I wouldn't trade it!

Regards,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 16, 2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:09 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,829 Posts
As of 5 minutes ago, Nitroplanes is still saying 4 to 6 weeks before the Skybus is back in stock.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 17, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:45 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,069 Posts
Sometimes they get back in stock sooner. The last time they were sold out Nitroplanes said it will take about 4-6 weeks for it to get back in stock and it ended up only taking about 2 weeks. Who knows it may be sooner
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:53 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
Sometimes they get back in stock sooner. The last time they were sold out Nitroplanes said it will take about 4-6 weeks for it to get back in stock and it ended up only taking about 2 weeks. Who knows it may be sooner
I just got off the phone with a real nice sale rep who will be following up with more specific info when she gets it. I'll pass it on as soon as I hear back!

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:35 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
Scott- Have you flown the GWS 7x3.5 3-bladed props yet? The main reason why I ended up cutting down the GWS 8x4 3-bladed props was that the 7x3.5 props were too flimzy/flexible and I was concerned about lossing thrust. I watched a video by Dave Powers concerning GWS prop performance at speed and really used his cutdown example for the basis of mine. In the end, the cutdown 8x4 props looked a little more scale and provided better rigidity. I'm not sure about performance of these modified props until I run the motors.

I look forward to your results!

Best,
Tony
Tony, I flew the DC-3 Sunday and I really like it, however I was not impressed with the 7x3.5 3 blades. It flew it fine for all general purposes, but I was not satisifed with the thrust at all. I think you are correct in saying that the blades are flimsy and loose alot of thrust. I could hardly tell any difference from 1/2 power to full power. You could hear the motors rev up real nice, but there was hardly any difference in thrust. It felt like a car's clutch that was constantly slipping. So, I will be flying it this weekend with the 8x4's. I am sure they will make a big difference because when I checked them on my watt meter and held the plane vertical, it wanted to climb straight up right out of my hands. At full power the 8x4's are right at 24 amps. The controllers should be fine rated at 40 amps each. I wonder what the 1100kv motors are rated at?
Scott
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:36 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
i did not know you were in the service, tony.....THANK YOU! i would like to grab another one of these too! not sure what i'd do with it...but i have several ideas already. that says a lot about a plane when we want extras. wifey said "maybe" to going with me tomorrow, if she does i'll try to get some inflight pics.

thanks for the availability updates!