SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:11 PM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
890 Posts
Hey Guys,

Someone posted this in the Phoenix Sim thread. C-47 last flight from Berlin Tempelhof airport. At the end, they have some great walkaround shots.

Flying Legend - Good Bye, Airport Tempelhof (7 min 27 sec)
!

Google Translated description:
One of the last round flights (start / Landug THF) of the DC-3 on Berlin-Brandenburg, before endgülitgen closure of Tempelhof Airport. This DC-3 Dakota (built 1948) had actually participated in the Berlin Airlift. Farewell to the first air traffic Berlin Tempelhof airport in the world.
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:27 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
I took the DC3 up for the 3rd time this evening. It's ashamed but the maiden flight the stock radio went crazy. and it went down in the woods. I put in a receiver for my regular radio and looks like all is well. here are some photos pre-flight. and one bad one in flight. Kinda hard to snap photos while on the radio.

Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:13 PM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
it went down in the woods. I put in a receiver for my regular radio and looks like all is well.
Spookeay,

Any damage mate? I only trust FrSky gear these days. Never had a glitch/loss since changing over.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:45 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
Yep, it took off the right wing. It was clean, epoxy fixed it up.I was lucky that was all. I don't know what the problem was. About 5 Min into the flight the remote became intermittent. I was no where near out of range. Blind test was good Battery were good. I just tagged out the remote. I say this because I lost a PBY with the same radio about 2 months ago. I thought it was me but now 2 times. I think it's the transmitter.
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:55 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
890 Posts
Hi Guys,

I did the Flaps Mod but did it slightly differently so thought I would share. First, I looked at recessing into the wing to keep the wing bottom smooth but there is not much 'meat' at the trailing edge. So, I thought recessing was out and would just have to fit it on the wing. I want a strong but very thin Flap so I went looking and found a Plastic Wall Joiner strip which has proved ideal. It has a T on the bottom which I just cut off the top piece leaving me with a spine along the 'Flap' for strength. I cut a small groove for this spine to fit in when the flap is down. The Flap has been tape hinged to the wing and Servo recessed into the wing.

Anyway, pictures probably tell the story better.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:32 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
The final deal, over all happy, but the paint is a little see through on the V-stab...Oh well, looking forward to flying her, maybe tomorrow, if the wind is down.
lebl468 is offline Find More Posts by lebl468
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebl468 View Post
The final deal, over all happy, but the paint is a little see through on the V-stab...Oh well, looking forward to flying her, maybe tomorrow, if the wind is down.
Nice job, looking forward to shots of it in the air.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:04 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
890 Posts
Yes, very nice work.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:28 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,763 Posts
So many cool schemes. Keep em cumin
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:33 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
Thanks guys, actually, I forgot the roundels on the sides behind the troop door, with "Armed Forces, and Forces Armees (French), they came on the decal sheet with a white back ground, got them remade on a clear back ground to go on the silver.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:58 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWarmedUp View Post
Hi Guys,

I did the Flaps Mod but did it slightly differently so thought I would share..

Anyway, pictures probably tell the story better.
Nice job!
skymaxy is offline Find More Posts by skymaxy
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:57 AM
The sky is the limit
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
Have been reading the thread when building my dynam skybus about a year ago. I made the tailwheel steerable, changed the wheels, added 4 part split flaps and painted it the way N49AG looked for the 50 year celebrations of the Belgian Air Force (ie the Royal DC3 still on display in the Brussels Air Museum). I flew it a couple of times and last week I added a MrRCSound module and have testflown it. This is my first post here, I will try to post the report about the sound modification and a few pictures when I find out how it all works on this forum.
BAF23 is offline Find More Posts by BAF23
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:35 AM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
128 Posts
BAF23, great looking plane, love the chocks!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,763 Posts
Fantastic.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:54 AM
The sky is the limit
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
DC3 Flap system en gear changes

With the kit being so light and overpowered it was obvious flaps were a necessity if it had to be landed with some power. I had seen various people here finding solutions but choose for my own approach at the end. Using the sharp knife extended quite a bit I was able to carve out 4 wing flap recesses as used on the real DC3. I then cut out 4 balsa flaps from 1,5mm scrap and glued 1,5 mm copper tubing at the front and back. The front parts were all joined by a 1mm rod glued in the tube, sufficiently flexible where exposed for the necessary movements between the flap sections due to the dihedral and angle change, but torque resistant enough to allow one soldered glued bellcranck to activate all flaps together. Because of the expected airstream forces I reinforced the flap sections on the sides and in the middle by glued carbon rods, and contrary to the real aircraft, used pieces of 1mm rod glued in the tube at the back inboard flaps, to slide freely in the tube of the outer portion.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5086601
Hinges were glued on the top of the flap sections and inserted into horizontal slits I made in the wing. A single servo was glued into a carved out recess just aft of the wing wire access panel and the rod connected in a way that with flaps up aerodynamic forces keep them flush in the wing, and flaps fully down (about 40°) the servo arm is flush in the wing, almost in the prolongation of its pivot point, thus almost creating an over center lock minimizing forces on the servo mechanism. That is also one of the reasons I hardly use half flap (except for showoff during taxy out, but I retract them for take- off because the airplane lifts off rapidly anyway, even with half throttle).
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5086602
For the tailwheel steering I dismantled the whole assembly from the fuselage and tore it apart. The free castoring system wasn’t really free and the plastic inside the pivot had to be rubbed down to allow frictionless operation. I then glued a servo arm on top of the pivot and ran a guided piano wire to the rudder servo. This allows me independent adjustments to be easily made at the rudder servo arm because the tailwheel mechanism gets buried in the definitively closed room below the elevator.
The dragster type wheels and tyres were replaced by more scale looking 70mm Kavan wheels, and the ridiculous plastic tailwheel by a 30mm rubber one. To do that I had to drill out the axels which I replaced with 4mm carbon ones.
Flaps, tailwheel steering and paint had shifted the cg so I had to initially add 50gr of lead at the extreme nose. It flew ell that way but when opening up the throttle on the ground the propwash tends to take the weight off the tail and the wind to weathervane the aircraft around. It thus is important to keep the elevator fully up during taxi and the initial stage of the takeoff.
In a following post I will deal with the installation of a MrRCSound.com budget soundmodule.
BAF23 is offline Find More Posts by BAF23
Last edited by BAF23; Jan 17, 2013 at 05:30 AM.