Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:24 AM
GRUMMAN
Ft. Lauderdale Florida
Joined Jun 2005
148 Posts
curtains

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
Still not finished, but it is looking more and more like a DC-3.

Jim
Nice work Jim, looks fantastic...How did you do the curtains, they really look super...
Thank You,
Mojo
Grumman is offline Find More Posts by Grumman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
Nice work Jim, looks fantastic...How did you do the curtains, they really look super...
Thank You,
Mojo
Thanks for the kind words.
I created the windows in Photoshop, printed them on photo paper and glued them into the window recesses. I made four or five different curtian widths and placed them randomly.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:07 AM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
BladeHead Waxing Nostalgic

So, this post is a bit off-topic but humor me. My enjoyment of the Skybus comes from my love for Douglas piston-engine airliners, on which I crisscrossed the country on United Air Lines for a number of years when I was an airline brat. I was told my first flight was on a United DC-3 but of course I'm too "young" to remember that one. I do remember, however, my last flight on a DC-6. It was from Chicago to Omaha on July 7, 1967, my 14th birthday. I suppose I was one of the few people sad to see them all retired as UAL phased in the pure jets. I also go against the grain in that I've always viewed the DC-4/6/7's as better looking 4-engine airliners than the Lockheed Constellation. Maybe it is their symmetry, or just that I spent so many hundreds of hours flying in them as a boy. I've been around commercial airliners all my life, (my late father and I have 73 years continuous service with UAL). The old Douglas iron is still my favorite.

That said, I invite you to view this YouTube video. It is strange as it is wonderful. A DC-6 is making its last flight before retiring as a museum piece in a private collection. There are two spectacular treetop level passes over the field, prior to an amazing tree-limb waving, power-line jiggling greaser of a landing on a sloped dirt strip. Turn on the sound for this one...

DC-6 (7 min 0 sec)
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:52 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
855 Posts
Very cool!!! Just wondering if the pilot broke any FAA rules for those low passes hehe
DeathWarmedUp is online now Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:56 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
855 Posts
Oh and Hi Everyone!

Just got a C-47 and doing the Tail Wheel and Flap mods but that will probably be about it. Although, I do have a pile of red/green/white leds setup for 6volt in my box... hmmm..

Anyway, thanks to all the guys for the Mod tips. Hope to put some pics up soon not that it will be a patch on you guys paint jobs - basically staying stock paint/decal at this stage.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:36 AM
USA, NY, Big Flats
Joined Oct 2004
167 Posts
I very have very much enjoyed this great post. I was taken back to Viet Nam by the Medal of Honor Citation that was cited for A1C John Levitow a wonderful person who is no doubt one of the best in Heaven above. I have never flown a twin r.c. plane this may be the one. I sure as HE.. remember "receiving profound assistance" from Spooky/Puff teams as a young Navy Corpsman with the Marines the R.V.N. Sherwood
Sherwood is offline Find More Posts by Sherwood
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:41 PM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
855 Posts
Hi all,

Thought I would put up pics of my progress. Nothing really new except (I think) my approach to the wing Spar and Wiring Cover. I wanted the Spar to be really locked in, so I cut off the ends of the Cover and have glued them in with UHU Por. The rest of the cover will be taped down for maintenance access.

Tail wheel Mod done with the Servo Gear Head. I carefully cut out the Tail Wheel and separated it. Sanded the shaft and mounts so the swivel was smooth. Then used a Dremel to flatten the top and also cut a small slot for the Lug on the bottom of the Servo Gear Head I used. Then I drilled a small hole through both and fitted a small screw. Both pieces have also been glued together. Don't think that will ever come adrift in general use.

Last thing to do is the Flap Mod which will be tonight hopefully. I want to maiden it on Sunday at the club.
Last edited by DeathWarmedUp; Aug 08, 2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,749 Posts
I'm starting on my second Dynam DC-3/C-47. I plan to do this one as an ex-Navy R4D turned U. S. ARMY C-47. I'm not going to do flaps on this one, I don't think the plane needs them, but I will be doing the tail wheel mod and adding some lights.

Jim
Last edited by WVrailfan; Aug 09, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:53 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,585 Posts
Nice scheme. This plane has moved to number one on my wish list. No more fighters. If I can help it no more liaison/ambulance of which I have five That being said if somebody releases a Storch or Owl I might detour.
I am partial to the R4Ds myself. Having been stationed in Glenview I'll be doing something similar.
Feed us some build pictures once you get going.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,749 Posts
I had planned to to a Navy R4D. I was collecting photos of the Navy's Que Sera Sera, the first plane to land at the South Pole in 1956 when I found the photo of the Army plane used as part of the U. S. - Ethiopia Mapping Mission in the 1960s.

I really like the Navy scheme on the Que Sera Sera and I think the skis would be cool. http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10010586-6.html

But, I'm an old Army guy and this plane will be easier and quicker to model. Judging from photos I've found, it looks like the Army just repainted the plane in the same scheme the Navy had painted it and changed the lettering to Army.

Jim
Last edited by WVrailfan; Aug 09, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:48 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,027 Posts
I wonder how much slower that plane flew and how many more gallon/hour it used with those skis on ? Plus it had to handle like a lump !
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,749 Posts
I think they could retract the gear with the skis and they were pretty tight against the bottom of the wing. I have seen a photo of another C-47 with skis and the gear retracted.

At any rate, for our purposes, I think it would be cool. Plus, since the wheels extend through the skis, you could still land on dry land as long as you have a smooth landing strip.

Jim
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:33 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
DC-3 Skis

In Season 2,episode 8 Buffalo Airways added skis to their DC-3 and landed supplies on a frozen lake. The landing gear does retract the skis so that they lay on the bottom of the nacelles. The plane's top speed was a little slower and the CG moved forward making it easy to nose over on landing. There is also a very narrow speed range to extend or retract the ski's. The small wings on the back of the skis keep them level.
bettsmums is offline Find More Posts by bettsmums
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:18 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,027 Posts
Forget landing on a grass runway with the scale skis on the model then !
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:44 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
I'm starting on my second Dynam DC-3/C-47. I plan to do this one as an ex-Navy R4D turned U. S. ARMY C-47. I'm not going to do flaps on this one, I don't think the plane needs them, but I will be doing the tail wheel mod and adding some lights.

Jim
I am interested in lighting too, I look forward to seeing your process.
skymaxy is offline Find More Posts by skymaxy