HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 09, 2012, 01:07 PM
Flick lives
BladeHead's Avatar
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
okie_1, she looks really good...Would love to see some video of her.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 05:19 PM
Honey, it's just one more !
okie_1's Avatar
Ardmore, OK
Joined Dec 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
okie_1, she looks really good...Would love to see some video of her.
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. I don't have a video camera, but maybe I can borrow one & get some video footage. I've been meaning to do that for several of my birds, but just haven't taken the time to make it happen. The C47 looks and sounds great on the flybys. Probably the only drawback to the camo paint is orientation in the sky, at a distance it's pretty hard to tell which side is which, at least for these 54 year old eyes.
okie_1 is offline Find More Posts by okie_1
Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2012, 07:25 PM
Flick lives
BladeHead's Avatar
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie_1 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. I don't have a video camera, but maybe I can borrow one & get some video footage. I've been meaning to do that for several of my birds, but just haven't taken the time to make it happen. The C47 looks and sounds great on the flybys. Probably the only drawback to the camo paint is orientation in the sky, at a distance it's pretty hard to tell which side is which, at least for these 54 year old eyes.
Oh, TELL me about it! My eyes have a few years on yours, and I feel your pain. I'm a contact lens user and had my Dr. prescribe lenses for distance viewing on the flying field, since my normal ones are a compromise between distance and close-in. They work great, but are so biased toward distance, I have a tough time driving to the field because I can barely make out the speedometer. Oh well, just hit the gas and go...
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
Registered User
bettsmums's Avatar
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Buffalo Airlines

I just recieved my Skybus and can't wait to fly it. Unfortunately Beryl has been here for the last three days. It did give me enough time to finish painting it though. Being a fan of Ice Pilots NWT I couldn't resist mking it tail number C-GPNR. I just need a 45 knot cross wind to fly it in and make it look realistic! Maybe Beryl will stick around aother day. I changed the props to GWS 8-4 so that I have one left and one right hand prop. I also added flaps. The paint job is generic spray paint from Lowes and the markings are homemade decals and by hand. I was happy to see that the included window decals were already cut separate from the side stripes but the pilot's windscreen was unusable because it had two right sides.
bettsmums is offline Find More Posts by bettsmums
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 04:38 PM
The figure "9" Specialist
aeronca's Avatar
A Barrier Island in New Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2003
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsmums View Post
I just recieved my Skybus and can't wait to fly it. Unfortunately Beryl has been here for the last three days. It did give me enough time to finish painting it though. Being a fan of Ice Pilots NWT I couldn't resist mking it tail number C-GPNR. I just need a 45 knot cross wind to fly it in and make it look realistic! Maybe Beryl will stick around aother day. I changed the props to GWS 8-4 so that I have one left and one right hand prop. I also added flaps. The paint job is generic spray paint from Lowes and the markings are homemade decals and by hand. I was happy to see that the included window decals were already cut separate from the side stripes but the pilot's windscreen was unusable because it had two right sides.
Looki' great!

Aeronca
aeronca is offline Find More Posts by aeronca
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
Registered User
WVrailfan's Avatar
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsmums View Post
I just recieved my Skybus and can't wait to fly it. Unfortunately Beryl has been here for the last three days. It did give me enough time to finish painting it though. Being a fan of Ice Pilots NWT I couldn't resist mking it tail number C-GPNR. I just need a 45 knot cross wind to fly it in and make it look realistic! Maybe Beryl will stick around aother day. I changed the props to GWS 8-4 so that I have one left and one right hand prop. I also added flaps. The paint job is generic spray paint from Lowes and the markings are homemade decals and by hand. I was happy to see that the included window decals were already cut separate from the side stripes but the pilot's windscreen was unusable because it had two right sides.
That looks great! Good job.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
Flick lives
BladeHead's Avatar
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
bettsmums, looking at your beautiful recreation of Buffalo C-GPNR reminds me once again how much I love this airplane. It's just a great, inexpensive platform for so many different models and liveries, (just like Donald Douglas' real one). When you maiden her, keep some airspeed right down to landing. The crutch I use, is to land it a distance from where I'm standing and I don't tend to slow it down to stall speed that way. Have fun!
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 09:55 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
pulsery2k1's Avatar
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,859 Posts
the guy's at buffalo will be envious - there should look so good
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 11:22 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
I just ordered a dynam c47 the other day and ive read every post on here. Im really new at flying still, the only other plane i have is a hobbyzone mini cub. I want to make sure I do everything right before I fly this plane so what I gather is check the y connectors. I ordered it in the RTF so will the stock radio be good enough for now and if I want to upgrade my radio what do I have to do. What is a decent radio price wise and brand? One thing that scares me is I fly in serveral places and I noticed in some spots that my mini cub seems to cutout then come back on? Will the c47 do the same thing in those areas? I know eventually I will probably upgrade the motors and esc's, whats a good reliable motor and esc go for and how do u pick them? Is there anything else I have to do to it to do these things? Sorry for all the questions but Im new to it and im hooked. I picked the C47 because my grandfather flew one in WW2 and thought it would be pretty cool. Thanks
outofgas is offline Find More Posts by outofgas
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:15 AM
Registered User
DTFB Aerowerks's Avatar
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Nov 2011
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofgas View Post
I just ordered a dynam c47 the other day and ive read every post on here. Im really new at flying still, the only other plane i have is a hobbyzone mini cub. I want to make sure I do everything right before I fly this plane so what I gather is check the y connectors. I ordered it in the RTF so will the stock radio be good enough for now and if I want to upgrade my radio what do I have to do. What is a decent radio price wise and brand? One thing that scares me is I fly in serveral places and I noticed in some spots that my mini cub seems to cutout then come back on? Will the c47 do the same thing in those areas? I know eventually I will probably upgrade the motors and esc's, whats a good reliable motor and esc go for and how do u pick them? Is there anything else I have to do to it to do these things? Sorry for all the questions but Im new to it and im hooked. I picked the C47 because my grandfather flew one in WW2 and thought it would be pretty cool. Thanks
Gas -- Welcome to the discussion!
You'll have a great time with the C-47. While you wait for delivery, watch all the YouTube videos you can find. The Skybus "build" videos are very useful.
Along with checking ALL the connectors (I've had no problems with mine), you MUST do a range test before you fly; I have had problems with my Dynam TX / RX that have led to crashes.
The plane really flies nicely when the CG is set properly - a bit nose-heavy is better than tail-heavy.
Have fun with her and remember, she CAN be repaired.
DTFB Aerowerks is offline Find More Posts by DTFB Aerowerks
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:26 AM
Flick lives
BladeHead's Avatar
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofgas View Post
I just ordered a dynam c47 the other day and ive read every post on here. Im really new at flying still, the only other plane i have is a hobbyzone mini cub. I want to make sure I do everything right before I fly this plane so what I gather is check the y connectors. I ordered it in the RTF so will the stock radio be good enough for now and if I want to upgrade my radio what do I have to do. What is a decent radio price wise and brand? One thing that scares me is I fly in serveral places and I noticed in some spots that my mini cub seems to cutout then come back on? Will the c47 do the same thing in those areas? I know eventually I will probably upgrade the motors and esc's, whats a good reliable motor and esc go for and how do u pick them? Is there anything else I have to do to it to do these things? Sorry for all the questions but Im new to it and im hooked. I picked the C47 because my grandfather flew one in WW2 and thought it would be pretty cool. Thanks
outofgas, WELCOME to the discussion. Skybus is a pretty ambitious second plane, (it was my 4th sport-size model), but pilots in here have shown it can be done. One thing I've noticed is that lots of guys in this group have some sort of emotional attachment to the plane...What is it about the DC-3/C47? I'm an airline brat and my 1st-ever flight (as a toddler) was on a UAL '3 from OMA-DEN. My dad could recite the max gross take off weight until the day he died, (he started out as a rampie).

Does your HZ Mini-Cub have ailerons? If not, you may want to do some simulator time on a model that has them before flying your Skybus. We can learn from the mistakes of others, yes? If you've read all the posts in here, you know that I've had my share of them with this plane, from props mounted backwards to running out of airspeed on landings, and I've posted videos of it. (Those are always good for a laugh or two). I'm a seat of the pants flyer and not so good on the tech end, so I'll leave the motor/ESC spec suggestions up to the experts in here. The plane is cheap, goes together in an hour or two and you can buy an airframe for under $50 and use it for parts when you turn some part into a white cloud of confetti. So it's a great choice in that regard. My first Skybus was RTF and I used the stock radio without any issues. When you get to the point of buying a radio, I can tell you that I love my Spektrum DX6i. I've never had a glitch on any plane or heli that I fly with it. Have fun!
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Last edited by BladeHead; Jun 01, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:29 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Thanks for the replies!! How do you go about doing a range test and what does it accomplish or tell you?
outofgas is offline Find More Posts by outofgas
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
478 Posts
Looks great you beat me to it !
I will have my skybus at the swapmeet / flyin this weekend in Jax.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:19 PM
Registered User
DTFB Aerowerks's Avatar
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Nov 2011
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofgas View Post
Thanks for the replies!! How do you go about doing a range test and what does it accomplish or tell you?
The range test will indicate if the TX and RX are operating and communicating properly. Your Dynam TX doesn't have a bind / range test button (Mine doesn't, anyway) so you can follow this simple procedure; set the plane on the ground (not a table or bench); turn on the TX; connect the battery: walk 80 - 90 feet away from the plane, checking for control response. Do NOT point the antenna at the plane. If you have a helper to hold the plane, run up the motors.
If the plane does not respond to controls at this distance on the ground, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLY! A crash will result. Here's a link to a Nitroplanes video showing how to bind the radio and calibrate the ESCs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tbEBsI_x_Q8

Perform the range test after following the steps on the video.
DTFB Aerowerks is offline Find More Posts by DTFB Aerowerks
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:24 PM
Registered User
WVrailfan's Avatar
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
I finally maidened my DC-3 today. What a sweet flying plane!

I was more than pleased with the way the chrome and white covering looked in the air.

Thanks everyone here for help and pointers with this plane.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DC-3 Plans blackwidow18 Australia 2 Jan 17, 2010 09:27 PM
Sold Celectra 4-Port 1S 3.7V 0.3A DC Li-Po Charger by E-flite dizzane Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Jan 15, 2010 10:02 AM
For Sale Great Planes DC-3 project sunderll Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Jan 12, 2010 08:34 PM
Sold Celectra 4-Port, 1-Cell, 3.7, 0.3A DC Li-Po Charger, Plus 3 240MAH Single Cell Packs. jafo216 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 9 Jan 01, 2010 12:55 PM
Sold Dynam 5-Channel Receiver/Dynam 3 in 1 Gyro CGReload Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 3 Aug 18, 2008 05:40 PM