SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:09 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2009
210 Posts
Finally finished building this big bird. I went through my sticker box and came up with what you see. Still need to watt it and weigh it, but it is ready to fly on my DX6i.........it sure makes my kitchen island look small!
fotowiz is offline Find More Posts by fotowiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:30 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,741 Posts
Wow! Nice to see all the individual paint schemes and personal touches to these DC-3s. I'll be devoting the entire day to finishing my AC-47 minus the markings. Keep the cool schemes coming!

All the best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:04 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Looks like this plane is going to be nitroplanes best seller. I like your made up airline fotowiz. I wonder if its safer then snakes on a plane.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:26 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalton View Post
So I got it as close as I could get to the Eastern markups. The decals would help. I finished with a coat of polycrylic gloss which on top of the krylon aluminum paint it looks as shiny aluminum skinned as i can make out of foam.

The landing gear was more out of a model - lots of detailed plastic that came out rather scale after painting. They're epoxied in tight. Any feedback on how they hold up on normal to semi-bouncy landings?

Spent an hour bitching at myself for epoxying the tail and elevator on before hooking up the rudder servo to the tail wheel...then another 30 minutes at 1am looking through the spotty manual searching for the step I missed. I guess just goosing it with rudder gets you around enough. The youtube's I've seen shows this plane getting up in 20' or less.

Any recommendations on expo for the elevator...any other pre-maiden tips?

OK Dad - weather permitting this guys gonna fly today. I've already got a check for $180 made out to you if things go south
Wow, lwalton! She looks great with the silver skin...Just like Donald Douglas intended. For your maiden flight, just give it smooth throttle, plus neutral to SLIGHT up-elevator on takeoff...The tail comes up almost immediately and before you have the motors at 100%, she's climbing out. No surprises in level flight or turns...You'll find that she cruises nicely at about 50% throttle. Try a stall when it has some good altitude...Kill the motors as you pull all the way back on the elevator and hold it, and she just mushes down without wing-drop. No wheel-landings, or u may get a prop strike...Try for a 3-point landing and cut the motors as she settles to the runway. Or... Do what ever you want!
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:31 PM
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jul 2003
225 Posts
Dynam DC-3

Sorry for the delay in the pic, didn't have the digital camera,so here it is,nitroplanes has sent out a new ESC, should be here this week! looking forward to maiden flight............ Zagi
ZAGI CRAZEE is offline Find More Posts by ZAGI CRAZEE
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:33 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotowiz View Post
Finally finished building this big bird. I went through my sticker box and came up with what you see. Still need to watt it and weigh it, but it is ready to fly on my DX6i.........it sure makes my kitchen island look small!
Thanks for the great pics of your version of the finished plane, fotowiz...Looks cool! Clue us in on how she does with the DX6i, will you? I'm waiting to see what my latest heating bill comes in at, and maybe I'll have the scratch to buy an AR6110 rx and do the conversion so I can run it with my DX6i.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:37 PM
Lance
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Where'd you find the EAL decals?
lwalton is offline Find More Posts by lwalton
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:39 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGI CRAZEE View Post
Sorry for the delay in the pic, didn't have the digital camera,so here it is,nitroplanes has sent out a new ESC, should be here this week! looking forward to maiden flight............ Zagi
Looks good, ZAGI CRAZEE! Those stripe decals were a bh to get just right around the engine cowlings, weren't they? Keep watching for that brown truck!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:44 PM
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jul 2003
225 Posts
Dynam DC-3

lwalton i was lucky enough to get them from tower hobbies before they discontinued them! Zagi
ZAGI CRAZEE is offline Find More Posts by ZAGI CRAZEE
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:04 PM
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
Agreed on what BladeHead said about flying. A 3 point landing is a must because there is very little clearance for the props. Ease on the elevator when you take off. Don't rush it cause that will cause a stall. Also the plane fly nice at 50% throttle. I'll try to get a vid of my plane before I painted it in the air and flying.

@DJMAN there is a thing where you can remove the shaft of the motor and is tall a part where the prop sits on to remove the bend in it. I'm not sure what it's called but I the guy at my hobby shop did that for me. Take a look at my plane and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also it's a good way to save the prop from breaking just in case you take a hard landing.
sh1bby69 is offline Find More Posts by sh1bby69
Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:32 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,741 Posts
AC-47 Finally Painted

Well...after a two week wait, the Dynam Skybus finally looks like an AC-47, after a 4 hour painting session. I also cut down my 8x4 props to 7X4 and painted them. I still have plenty to do before the first flight. The leading edges need touch up, the windows have to be painted, the door gun has to be scratch built and painted, window guns need paint, antennas need to be installed, dome scratch built and apply markings. I'm having too much fun with this tribute to Sgt. John Levitow.

All the best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 14, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:44 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,420 Posts
wow tony!!!! what a plane you have created! did you do the cammo scheme free hand, or did you base the patterns from a photo? love the detail you are adding, including the deice pads on the props. wow.

and kudos to all of the other fellows who have posted pics.....great to see how much fun we are all having with this plane and how each is decorating it.
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:08 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,741 Posts
Thanks Rob! I used photos and the Monogram 1/48 AC-47 instruction sheet as a guide. I wanted this model to look as accurate as possible. This is my first SEA scheme. Thanks again for the kind words!

Regards,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:29 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Tony,

Very nice paint, model, and flag.

This is certainly a BIG model as having that young girl (daughter?) hold the model really places size in perspective.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:51 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Tony,

Very nice paint, model, and flag.

This is certainly a BIG model as having that young girl (daughter?) hold the model really places size in perspective.
Thanks Guapo! My daughter was monitoring my progress all day and couldn't wait to hold it. In the end, I'm glad I waited for the weather to improve during the past two weeks. It gave me time to gather all the photos and reference material to make this a model I would be proud to have represent Sgt. Levitow.

All the best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member