SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:57 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737 View Post

fellows, i think my crash on the first take off...
...my plane looks as good as new, i just finished touching up the scuffs and the epoxy seam on the wingtip. got very luck this time! i think i am going to order some more of those gws props...at least from all of this i found a good replacement prop for this plane.

rob
Hey rob737, sorry to hear about the aborted take-off That's the nice thing about this foam, it glues back together really well. I'm already looking around for a comparable lipo for my DC-3 so I can get two flights out of her in a visit to the flying field. Since we have to improvise parts, we need to figure out a way to collect links to all the parts we locate in one post that's easy to find.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:31 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
very cool looking lights! can you provide some details as far as how you did it? i especially like the landing lights, and would like to possibly add them to my dc3.

mr. bladehead, i have a bunch of zippy 2200mah packs that fit perfectly in our plane(s). i got them from hobbyking, for only $11.99 each. of course you have to pay for the shipping but i bought five of them and they still averaged less than $15 dollars a piece. they even sell a pre-made jumper so you can use the stock ec3 connectors that you like.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6306
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Last edited by rob737; Mar 12, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:18 AM
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737 View Post
very cool looking lights! can you provide some details as far as how you did it? i especially like the landing lights, and would like to possibly add them to my dc3.

mr. bladehead, i have a bunch of zippy 2200mah packs that fit perfectly in our plane(s). i got them from hobbyking, for only $11.99 each. of course you have to pay for the shipping but i bought five of them and they still averaged less than $15 dollars a piece. they even sell a pre-made jumper so you can use the stock ec3 connectors that you like.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6306
They run off direct power from the receiver. My receiver has 5ch so I use the 5th ch to get it some power.

As for how I did it I bought the kit from HobbyKing.com: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10453

I had to extend the wires so I used 26g wires to extend it. Then I made little notches in the wings so the wires can hide as much as possible and covered it tape.
sh1bby69 is offline Find More Posts by sh1bby69
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:45 AM
Lance
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
New build of the DC-3 as EAL as I can

In a tribute to my father, and the dedication he gave carrying families safely across the Americas for over 20 years, I'm building this DC-3 as EAL style as I can. Unfortunately I've tried across the globe looking for the EAL decal set by tower hobbies but it's discontinued. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.
lwalton is offline Find More Posts by lwalton
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:52 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalton View Post
In a tribute to my father, and the dedication he gave carrying families safely across the Americas for over 20 years, I'm building this DC-3 as EAL style as I can. Unfortunately I've tried across the globe looking for the EAL decal set by tower hobbies but it's discontinued. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.
http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...roductid=33368
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:31 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
thanks for the light info, much appreciated!

there is some amazing work being done to this plane! glad so many are sharing their work on this thread. it's a pleasure to page through here and enjoy the pics and posts.

i built that monogram kit years ago! ^^^

if anybody needs decals, etc, try here:

http://callie-graphics.com/

many here on the forum, including myself, have ordered decals from them. they can make anything and are a pleasure to work with.
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:13 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
WOW! Over 200 posts to this discussion since Feb 6! Nice job everyone...Keep the info flowing and have fun.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:23 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalton View Post
Welcome to the discussion, "iwalton!" Nice job so far on ur "3." Hopefully we can locate more of the Great Silver Fleet decals for you. There are several of us "airline brats" here in this little bunch of Gooney-Bird enthusiasts.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
220 Posts
@lwalton That is looking really nice. How much gloss is on that plane? I bet it'll shine when flying!
sh1bby69 is offline Find More Posts by sh1bby69
Old Mar 13, 2010, 04:53 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,225 Posts
I am finally checking 3 blade props on my meter. I going to do a few more tests, and I will post results.
sj3cub is online now Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Mar 13, 2010, 06:55 PM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Discontinued but thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 06:55 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,225 Posts
Three Blade results, The GWS DD 3 blade 7x3.5 put out a total of 139.9 watts at 12.45 amps. The GWS DD 3 blade 8x4 put out a total of 224.4 watts at 20.78 amps. These measurments were done with a higher grade 25C 2200 3 cell vs the stock battery. I figured if we did the measurments with a high quality pack, then there would be no issues with the 15c stock pack. The 40 amp controllers and motors will handle either with no issues. You might want to watch the stock pack with the 8x4's. The 7x3.5 will fly the C-47 with plenty of power to spare. The 8x4 will hover the airframe. Way Way too much power. I also reversed the right hand motor and put a reversed prop just for the cool factor. It really is sweet to have counter rotating props. I will be flying the 7x3.5's.
sj3cub is online now Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Mar 13, 2010, 06:56 PM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
I painted with Krylon aluminum and will finish with a coat of polycrylic. Pix coming.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2010
5 Posts
Well i got mine up and flying until i crashed "sucks" but the only damage was a busted prop and a broken shaft does anyone know were i can get a new shaft.
djman is offline Find More Posts by djman
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:07 AM
Lance
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Finished building the EAL DC-3

So I got it as close as I could get to the Eastern markups. The decals would help. I finished with a coat of polycrylic gloss which on top of the krylon aluminum paint it looks as shiny aluminum skinned as i can make out of foam.

The landing gear was more out of a model - lots of detailed plastic that came out rather scale after painting. They're epoxied in tight. Any feedback on how they hold up on normal to semi-bouncy landings?

Spent an hour bitching at myself for epoxying the tail and elevator on before hooking up the rudder servo to the tail wheel...then another 30 minutes at 1am looking through the spotty manual searching for the step I missed. I guess just goosing it with rudder gets you around enough. The youtube's I've seen shows this plane getting up in 20' or less.

Any recommendations on expo for the elevator...any other pre-maiden tips?

OK Dad - weather permitting this guys gonna fly today. I've already got a check for $180 made out to you if things go south