HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:02 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
midnite- okay thanks. so you don't feel it is a good aileron trainer?

xviper- this was your first aileron plane? so you would recommend this?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:26 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,220 Posts
I would recommend it but I don't know what your skill level is at this time. I flew a Radian for a full season and then a "V" tail plane for a bit before I flew the DC3. I also came from an RC helicopter background, so working all the sticks was not new to me.
I now have, as aileron planes, a U2 ducted fan jet, a Fox Glider powered sailplane, B-25 twin engine bomber and the DC3. The DC3 is by far, the easiest of them all to fly. If you want easier, go with a Cub but this DC-3 is the cheapest. You'll probably crash either one. I'd rather crash the cheap one.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
okay thanks. yeah im probably going to go for a cub instead. thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:34 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,187 Posts
Actually a cub has bad slow speed characteristics. I mean fatal ones. Generally speaking of course. Depends on the builder or manufacturer. Like the Park Zone one is easy to fly.
Garry K.
garryk is online now Find More Posts by garryk
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:11 AM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
oh okay thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:07 PM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
I have quite a few Dynam planes (7 or so) and overall I've been quite satisfied with them. I think the value is quite good, but you need to accept the fact that there will be certain things you need to inspect to insure they're in flyable condition before take-off. In particular, factory-glued fittings are somewhat notorious for either being loose or coming loose. So check 'em & re-glue 'em if necessary. I don't mind addressing minor details---in fact, I enjoy it---and considering the price, if it flies well when I'm done, I'm happy.

One plane I don't have is this one: http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...2-new-arf.html but based on the reviews it might be a good aileron trainer for you. $90 is hard to beat. I've never had a problem with Dynam electronics and at least half of my fleet have been RTF's.

Whether it would be a good choice for you depends on if you can address the issues the reviewers raised.

MT
Midnite Tweeke is offline Find More Posts by Midnite Tweeke
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:34 AM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Dynam C-47 Skybus

Just received my Skybus last Thursday. It came with 30 amp esc's instead of the stated 40 amp. The motors were a little tight so I removed them and had to adjust the endplay by removing some material from the brass spacer at the back of the motor shaft. They both seem to turn freely and in unison now.
I also added the steerable tailwheel mod to it but the stock servo did not seem up to the task of the additional load. I replaced both the elevator and rudder servos with Hitec HS-81's which were a perfect fit in the fuse servo cutouts. During taxi tests I also noticed the left motor esc cutting off and re-initializing so I replaced both of the factory Y-harnesses and the issue seems to have gone away, certainly don't want to see that happen during flight.
I hope to get in the maiden flight soon, weather permitting.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwilson View Post
Just received my Skybus last Thursday. It came with 30 amp esc's instead of the stated 40 amp. The motors were a little tight so I removed them and had to adjust the endplay by removing some material from the brass spacer at the back of the motor shaft. They both seem to turn freely and in unison now.
I also added the steerable tailwheel mod to it but the stock servo did not seem up to the task of the additional load. I replaced both the elevator and rudder servos with Hitec HS-81's which were a perfect fit in the fuse servo cutouts. During taxi tests I also noticed the left motor esc cutting off and re-initializing so I replaced both of the factory Y-harnesses and the issue seems to have gone away, certainly don't want to see that happen during flight.
I hope to get in the maiden flight soon, weather permitting.
seems like you addressed the "dangerous" issues. 30A ESC won't be a problem as the motors are 18A
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:07 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Stock Power?

Anybody ever check the power of the stock motor setup?
I checked mine and it comes in at:
330 watts @ 10.8v on a 3s 3200 mAh 20C turning the stock Dynam 8x6 3 blade props.
Just wondering if this sounds about right. About 30.8 amps total or 15.4 amps per motor, if my calculations are correct.
All up weight is 2 lbs. 6 oz. so about 139 watts per lb.
Last edited by rgwilson; Nov 21, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:45 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
seems like you addressed the "dangerous" issues. 30A ESC won't be a problem as the motors are 18A
What are the issues with the "Y" connectors?
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:50 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,616 Posts
repaint ideas?

I picked up a Dynam Skybus which I would like to repaint as the first corporate plane of the C&O Railway. the plane will be white above the window line and bare metal below, including the wings, with a dark blue band along the window line.

Since I know several of you have repainted your DC3, I was wondering how you would suggest the bare metal look. I guess I could just paint it silver, but I am also thinking of covering the lower half of the fuse and the wings with silver Monokote.

Any thoughts?

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:26 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
"Y" connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by race58 View Post
What are the issues with the "Y" connectors?
After reading several posts in this thread, there have been several crashes caused by these factory "Y" harness failures. Do yourself a favor and simply replace them and not risk an engine out or aileron failure in the air. A couple of $4 Y-connectors are cheaper than repairing/replacing the airframe IMO.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:00 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,933 Posts
I have read what your saying and that folks are replacing them but I'm trying to find out what has been wrong with them specifically.
In other words how do you distinguish quality "Y"'s from the bad ones when you see them.
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:34 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
I picked up a Dynam Skybus which I would like to repaint as the first corporate plane of the C&O Railway. the plane will be white above the window line and bare metal below, including the wings, with a dark blue band along the window line.

Since I know several of you have repainted your DC3, I was wondering how you would suggest the bare metal look. I guess I could just paint it silver, but I am also thinking of covering the lower half of the fuse and the wings with silver Monokote.

Any thoughts?

Jim
Oracal 651. Many of the 737 guys have used it on their planes.

It is more of a stretchy vinyl than film you need a hot iron to use with a la monokote. It also adheres better to foam than monokote. They also have chrome, to various shades of gray/silver or metallic whatever to suit your needs. It is also what Callie uses when she makes the graphics for many of the planes.

Cheers~ Neil
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:51 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,616 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into this. You wouldn't happen to know of a vendor for it?

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Joes View Post
Oracal 651. Many of the 737 guys have used it on their planes.

It is more of a stretchy vinyl than film you need a hot iron to use with a la monokote. It also adheres better to foam than monokote. They also have chrome, to various shades of gray/silver or metallic whatever to suit your needs. It is also what Callie uses when she makes the graphics for many of the planes.

Cheers~ Neil
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan