HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:37 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Terrific! My other choice was epoxy and that takes a lot of messing around mixing and such. Hot glue gun is fairly quick and easy. Only problem is I tend to get a lot of souvenir burns on my hands in the process. It's still my preferred method, though.
Just have to work quickly with it though on the big areas. I haven't had any trouble with them holding either. Even in a nose in at about a 45 degree angle. (lost signal.) Had to replace both motor shafts and reinforce 1 landing gear with carbon fiber rod. No other damage.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:53 PM
Why Yes I Fly!
United States, IA
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
Bomb drop!

I have figured out a way to drop bombs without a servo from your DC-3 All you need is a rubber band, a popsicle stick, an easter egg, some toothpicks, a straw and some flour.
1. Glue the straw to the middle of the popsicle stick(Refer to picture below)
2. bond the rubber band to the popsicle stick(Refer to picture below)
3. cut a tooth pick in half and then tape or hot glue it to the front of the easter egg. (Refer to picture below)
4. Wrap the rubber band around the front of the fuselage and connect the band to the popsicle stick (Refer to picture below)
5. Fill the easter egg with Flour
6. When dropping the bomb climb to a desired alltitude kill your throttle and put the plane into a dive.(Refer to video below)

I hope you enjoy this idea it took me a while to think of it but it works very well and there is nothing better than a satisfying explosion. (The idea described above does not go against AMA rules)

Video of the flight
Bombing with the Dynam Skybus (0 min 47 sec)
schroeder4 is offline Find More Posts by schroeder4
Last edited by schroeder4; Jun 26, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:11 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Way cool..... my project to get ready for next weekend ,,, thanks for the idea
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:37 PM
Why Yes I Fly!
United States, IA
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
Thank you I spent a lot of time on the idea and it can also be used on different airplanes. Although I can not think of any way to drop a parachute from the plane. Any ideas guys?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:15 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroeder4 View Post
Thank you I spent a lot of time on the idea and it can also be used on different airplanes. Although I can not think of any way to drop a parachute from the plane. Any ideas guys?
Maybe set it up so that when you pull enough negative g's a drogue deploys, and it then pulls off a loosely attached chute.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:55 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
738 Posts
Quote:

I've seen some bomb drop and parachute drops via a spare servo and a rubber band. Seemed to work pretty well, but I haven't actually tried it myself.

Been thinking about doing this with my C-47 and dropping about 30 paratroopers at once...that would look cool as they all floated down, one after the other!

(P.S. Looks like "your" idea has actually been done before: http://www.ehow.com/how_5660897_make...rop-bombs.html )
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Last edited by pilot40874; Jun 29, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:54 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Me and my buddies have made servo activated drops on other more suitable platforms than the DC 3 and will share vids later. Nice set up you got there Schroedr4
IIIBonesAirForce is offline Find More Posts by IIIBonesAirForce
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:27 PM
Why Yes I Fly!
United States, IA
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
That's odd I did not know anyone had the same idea I had. I would have done a servo extension in the first place but I got the ready to fly verison and only have a 4 channel radio.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Sep 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
That's odd I did not know anyone had the same idea I had. I would have done a servo extension in the first place but I got the ready to fly verison and only have a 4 channel radio.

You could use one of the empty holes in one of your existing servo arms.
Darwood is offline Find More Posts by Darwood
Old Jul 02, 2011, 02:20 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwood View Post
You could use one of the empty holes in one of your existing servo arms.
Maybe the rudder,, you don't use that too much except on take off where you use a lot of right rudder. You could use it on the left rudder and be all good.

Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Maybe the rudder,, you don't use that too much except on take off where you use a lot of right rudder. You could use it on the left rudder and be all good.

Garry K.

Yeah, just set up the release at full throw. In the past I've used full up elevator for release.
Darwood is offline Find More Posts by Darwood
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:03 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Here is the drop from the Big Bird. The payload (stuffed bear wearing a parachute) is the orange box under the wing.

Home Made Parachute Drop carrying stuffed bear (1 min 40 sec)
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:05 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
here is a link to the drop box made out of pink foam and a servo working off of the gear channel on a DX6i. Hope it helps. This what Iused in the vid in my previous post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429016
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:07 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
I also made the parachute. my next one is going to be much bigger to be able to see it better once its dropped from the plane (and of course to be able to see on on video).
Last edited by IIIBonesAirForce; Jul 02, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:22 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Hey Schroeder4 the above post is to answer (I hope) your question. The box could be made shallower to fit under the stubby landing gear of the DC-3. Good luck.