HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2011, 11:52 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
DC3 (0 min 40 sec)

finally here is what I could edit out of the maiden video my DC-3 Perfect take off and landing. You could not tell from my editing though. Sorry
IIIBonesAirForce is offline Find More Posts by IIIBonesAirForce
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 01:32 AM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIBonesAirForce View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmuRk..._order&list=UL

finally here is what I could edit out of the maiden video my DC-3 Perfect take off and landing. You could not tell from my editing though. Sorry
WooT !! congrats on your sucessful maiden
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old May 06, 2011, 10:00 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Thanks Dave..I just came back shortly before dark after 2 beautiful landings with the navigation and landing lights clearly visible at dusk. It sure needs those props going on landing approach..It looked so awesome just before touch down with the lights and it sounded even better. It is truly a nice plane by Dynam.

In mid air on the first flight I had the CG set up (by accident) with heavy tail..I almost lost it about 2 mistakes up..Lucky for me I corrected after establishing my bearings..then on for a beautiful landing. Corrected the CG by moving the battery forward and the second flight was much better. There are few sexier things than seeing an airplane approach for and land (safely)
Old May 06, 2011, 10:08 PM
United States, WI, Wausau
Joined Sep 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dave..I just came back shortly before dark after 2 beautiful landings with the navigation and landing lights clearly visible at dusk. It sure needs those props going on landing approach..It looked so awesome just before touch down with the lights and it sounded even better. It is truly a nice plane by Dynam.

In mid air on the first flight I had the CG set up (by accident) with heavy tail..I almost lost it about 2 mistakes up..Lucky for me I corrected after establishing my bearings..then on for a beautiful landing. Corrected the CG by moving the battery forward and the second flight was much better. There are few sexier things than seeing an airplane approach for and land (safely)
yes this plane does look great when it comes in for a landing and when everything goes the way you want it to
btflycrazy is offline Find More Posts by btflycrazy
Old May 07, 2011, 08:56 AM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
475 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmuRk..._order&list=UL

Congrats on the maiden, IIIBonesAirForce! This is a small token from Donald Douglas to commemorate the occasion.

.................................................. ........Name: Douglas Logo.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 6.0 KB
Description:
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old May 07, 2011, 09:02 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
IIIbones, so I take it that the wheels were ok for that grass? Did you use the stock wheels?

thx
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 17, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old May 07, 2011, 10:05 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Grass handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
IIIbones, so I take it that the wheels were ok for that grass? Did you use the stock wheels?

thx
Yes Melnic...it has the stock wheels with steerable tail wheel mod. I do not hang out on the grass too long normally I take off from pavement if available...I find landings on grass easier. It skids on me every time I land on pavement..as you can see in the video below. In fact wind was close to 15 mph..but wanted to fly no matter what after we picked the secret Mother's Day gift.

Dynam DC-3 RC Plane 4th flight (1 min 14 sec)

Sorry for the shakes..my 9 years old was taping
Old May 07, 2011, 10:07 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Thanks much Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
Congrats on the maiden, IIIBonesAirForce! This is a small token from Donald Douglas to commemorate the occasion.

.................................................. ........Attachment 3995199
Thanks for such a lively, informative thread. The DC 3 is in my Scion XA all the time now just waiting for the few spare minutes that I may steel from a busy day here and there to jump into the air...
Old May 07, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Sep 2010
132 Posts
i flew my dc-3 the other day in 15 mph winds and now i have to get new landing gear and motor shaft, once the wind gets the wing tip its all over but the crying, luck i have one more on back up
Old May 07, 2011, 10:16 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Here is another one from the same flight session. It does not take off well some times at all from grass.
Stock Dynam DC-3 Another take off and Landing (0 min 35 sec)
Old May 07, 2011, 10:26 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Tree

116_0100.MOV (0 min 52 sec)

This one shows it coming with a good approach..only to meet the edging around the tree. Where did the tree come from? I have no idea. Of course my 9 years old spend half the video scanning the sky. Did get it though in two critical moments....take off and landing...
Last edited by IIIBonesAirForce; May 07, 2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Looking for the DC-3
Old May 07, 2011, 10:43 PM
Grounded Pilot
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
I know btflyCrazy it is tough to handle...in higher than 10 mph wind....I guess I lucked out
Old May 08, 2011, 10:37 AM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Just to throw this out to all on this thread, several of us have run into a VERY big problem with the Dynam DC3 and you won't know you have it untill you've badly crashed your plane. Go to your plane and pull BOTH of the "Y"'s that connect the aileron servos and the motor controls and throw them in the trash! They are very defective and you can loose either of the motors or one aileron! Yeah, very bad and it's happened to a lot of us resulting in a very obliterated DC3. Most of us are getting replacement "Y"'s on Ebay or at a local Hobby shop, once replaced we've never had problems since. I know replies will follow like "I've never had a problem", in responce I'll tell you again that you won't know you have a defective "Y" untill it's crashed.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old May 08, 2011, 10:55 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeenut View Post
Just to throw this out to all on this thread, several of us have run into a VERY big problem with the Dynam DC3 and you won't know you have it untill you've badly crashed your plane. Go to your plane and pull BOTH of the "Y"'s that connect the aileron servos and the motor controls and throw them in the trash! They are very defective and you can loose either of the motors or one aileron! Yeah, very bad and it's happened to a lot of us resulting in a very obliterated DC3. Most of us are getting replacement "Y"'s on Ebay or at a local Hobby shop, once replaced we've never had problems since. I know replies will follow like "I've never had a problem", in responce I'll tell you again that you won't know you have a defective "Y" untill it's crashed.
you are correct about the "y" connectors.. they are junk... I fly large scale and found this problem on a friends DC3.. thankfully before flight...
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old May 08, 2011, 11:49 AM
Joined Sep 2010
132 Posts
the smoke jumper dc-3 has all new wiring, servos and i was thinking about changing motors out for some eflites