HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:38 AM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Keith View Post
Very nice reviews and videos ! I also like your Blog Page !
Wingman Jeff
Wingman Jeff, welcome to the discussion! Feel free to jump in with any pics, vids or ideas you have about the Skybus.

Burt
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:09 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Thanks !
That's about as far as I'm going with it. If it wasn't made out of beer cooler foam I might consider making some retracts.
OH! beer cooler foam. I didn't know that. I was about to order one but now I am very hesitant. Is the beer cooler foam really a problem?
Thanks
Ron
A Rdnek is online now Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:18 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,860 Posts
A Rdnek

they are wrong ,this is not beer cooler foam its epo ,
so I would not hesate to buy 1 .

I havw 2 and they great ( do a search of piedmont dc-3)
on this tread search and you can see how nice these can be
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Apr 08, 2011, 10:59 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,087 Posts
No it's not EPO and it's not really beer cooler foam either but something in-between. It's not as bad as BCF but super glue and some sealants will melt it. If it was made out of Parkzone's EPO foam it would be much better. The plane is a great buy and I'm not sorry I bought it.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Apr 09, 2011, 01:13 AM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Heck Ya, I have many enjoyable flights too. Glad I bought it.
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:38 PM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
No it's not EPO and it's not really beer cooler foam either but something in-between. It's not as bad as BCF but super glue and some sealants will melt it.
Assuming BCF refers to beer cooler foam, that material is expanded polystyrene, or EPS. Numerous adhesives, solvents, and paints attack EPS, such as CA and many rattle can paints, unless water-based. EPS also tends to shatter into numerous pieces and small beads when it breaks. It doesn't withstand impact well.

Towards the opposite end of the spectrum is EPP, expanded polypropylene. It is more rubbery and flexible than EPS, and is more likely to tear instad of shatter. It is highly impact resistant, but usually has a rough surface finish due to being cut with a hot wire instead of molded.

It is my understanding that some manufacturers have created proprietary blends of the two materials in an attempt to create a product that is more impact resistant than EPS but more rigid than EPP. How well these resist solvents depends on the specific formulation of the foam.

EPO is expanded polyolefin. Like EPS and EPP, it is a unique material, and one which is highly solvent resistant. It is more flexible than EPS, and has a better surface finish than EPP.

I haven't tried every solvent in the book, but it has withstood all of those that I have on my bench, including alcohol, naptha, acetone, and CA, including non-foam safe.

The one thing it won't stand is excessive heat. If you used thin CA, and especially with kicker, there's a good chance that you melted it with heat.

In my book, this is EPO.

MT
Midnite Tweeke is offline Find More Posts by Midnite Tweeke
Last edited by Midnite Tweeke; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:23 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,007 Posts
It is definately not beer cooler foam. Some companies claim their product to be EPO when it really is not. (or so I have heard). If it is claimed to be made of EPO, and I use CA on it and rattle can (even the cheapest stuff) and it does not harm the foam, then to me, its EPO. Assuming it's not EPS, which is unmistakable, and not nearly as nice as EPO.

Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:06 PM
Huge member!
Pawtucket R.I.
Joined May 2008
479 Posts
Quick question,Im sure the answer is in the thread at least twice but here goes.What flight time can I expect using 2200 mah 20 C lipos? Ill be flying scale and like to get 10 min flight times.I have a bunch of 2200 20C and a few 2600 mah 25 C lipos already,Ill pick up what ever size that will get me 10 min. Any help would be appreciated,mine will be here Mon. the 18th. Thanks. Brutus
BRUTUS2238 is offline Find More Posts by BRUTUS2238
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:29 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTUS2238 View Post
Quick question,Im sure the answer is in the thread at least twice but here goes.What flight time can I expect using 2200 mah 20 C lipos? Ill be flying scale and like to get 10 min flight times.I have a bunch of 2200 20C and a few 2600 mah 25 C lipos already,Ill pick up what ever size that will get me 10 min. Any help would be appreciated,mine will be here Mon. the 18th. Thanks. Brutus
Your 2200's will get you 10 minutes if you fly gently and you don't mind taking them down to around 3.6V per cell. I limit myself to 8 minutes with my 2200's and come down with 3.7-3.8V. Your 2600's will definitely be enough.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:00 PM
Huge member!
Pawtucket R.I.
Joined May 2008
479 Posts
Thanks,just what I wanted to hear. Brutus
BRUTUS2238 is offline Find More Posts by BRUTUS2238
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:55 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Thought I'd add my .02 about the foam, it's good and solid, fixes most easily with hot glue. I babied mine till I forgot to turn up the dual rates and took off into a telephone junction box, BAM! It hit on the left motor square and tore off that wing and both motors. The fuse took a good slice from the still rotating right motor, filled it in with said hot stuff. So now that it's been totalled (twice now) it's just a fun beater! I've got another that I want to paint all nice sometime. The second total was caused by the left speed control quitting in mid roll, fell right to the ground and tore the motors off again. By the way, Nitroplanes sells new dual speed control setups but they are different and you'll need to do some fuse modifying for them to fit.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:07 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
which replacement props?

I just ordered the Dynam C-47 version from Nitro. Considering my inexperience and what I've read here, I'm sure I'll go through a lot of props. So, what turned out to be the verdict on replacement props? Using the stock motor, are there 2-bladed props that give good thrust, or do I have to use 3-bladed. And what are the best sizes for both 2 and 3 bladed?

Thanks, I spent 45 minutes searching the thread and saw lots of discussion but no conclusions.

Example: 8x4 props, 3 standard and 3 counter-rotating, are $3 from HK.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Last edited by Reegor; Apr 16, 2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:56 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,087 Posts
Out oI the box it will fly fine with the 2-blade props. I wanted a more scale look so I went with a 8x4 3-blade cut down to 7. If you don't mind the appearance then stick with the 2 blade.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Apr 16, 2011, 09:32 AM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
The only prpblem I've had with the two blades are that they tend to mow the grass when the tail comes up, you can hear it. On pavement they are fine.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:11 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,007 Posts
I use MAS 8x6 3 blade props, and some 480 class motors from headsupRC.com. Very fast with this setup. Not scale speed at WOT. But one time on takeoff i had my CG set too far aft. the plane jumped into the air almost straight up, and hung on the props very nicely while I figured out how to recover. Had enough power to pull over the top in an immleman type of maneuver.

Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!