HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:33 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilflyer150 View Post
Heres my latest flight video of my skybus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pea0YWPkaQ8
You MUST keep your speed up. ESPECIALLY in turns. She'll slip into a tip stall and spiral of death. Nothing wrong with your plane just keep up your speed.

GL
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:27 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilflyer150 View Post
Heres my latest flight video of my skybus.
Nice recovery, did you have flaps down by any chance? If you did, I'd guess tip stall. Otherwise, I'd suspect a receiver brown out. I don't recall mine ever doing that with flaps up. With flaps down it's possible to slow it down enough for a nasty tip stall.

Ok, so I went out and tried to duplicate the maneuver I saw on your video. Slow speed turns, stalls in every direction relative to the wind and couldn't get it to violently tip stall. With flaps and without. The only thing that worked was to suddenly cut power, stall, and slam on full throttle. Similar to what might happen in a brown out or a bad glitch. I was able to get a really ugly looking stall but I had to do it so I got some wind under the right wing to help it flip. I'm pretty sure you lost your radio link. It dove as far as it did because it took a while to reestablish the link. Since I never lost link, I was able to recover easily without losing altitude.

I am impressed with how well the Skybus handles. Even when you deliberately stall, it's easy to recover.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Last edited by pmullen503; Mar 30, 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: flight testing
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:57 PM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
Tamilflyer, Are you using the radio that came with the plane? Batteries OK? Pretty scary to watch & could hear it in your voice. No wonder you were shaking.

MT
Midnite Tweeke is offline Find More Posts by Midnite Tweeke
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hemet,CA
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
pmullen503 Nah i had the flaps up and yea ill look into that.
Tamilflyer150 is offline Find More Posts by Tamilflyer150
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:20 PM
Hemet,CA
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
Midnite Tweeke
Im using my Airtronics SD-5G, i originally got this plane from Graysonhobby.com as a Plug N Play(which included everything except TX, RX and Battery)

And the transmitter batteries in my SD-5G are good at 8.5v and the Low Voltage Alarm does sound until 6.7v
Tamilflyer150 is offline Find More Posts by Tamilflyer150
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:41 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
I am thinking of getting one of these. Can someone tell me please, how difficult is to plane to break down to transport it to the field. I think it might be just a little too big for me to transport assembled.
Thanks
for any help.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:08 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,904 Posts
One bolt and the wing comes off. Should fit in the back seat of a Ford Siesta!
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:26 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
One bolt and the wing comes off. Should fit in the back seat of a Ford Siesta!
Does that mean the ESCs and RX are mounted in the wing, and the only servos to disconnect are for the elevator and rudder?
Thanks
Ron
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:33 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,904 Posts
ESC/battery power plug, ESC throttle to receiver & Aileron to receiver connector cables are attached to the wing. One bolt and (3) connectors/cables to remove.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:44 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
ESC/battery power plug, ESC throttle to receiver & Aileron to receiver connector cables are attached to the wing. One bolt and (3) connectors/cables to remove.
OK good, that's not bad at all.
Thanks again
Ron
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
Quote:
Unless you decide to go fullhouse with flaps, retractable gear, and lights. Then you might want to consider relocating the receiver to the wing so all of those plus ailerons and ESC can remain plugged in. Then only two connections, rudder and elevator, need to be made when the wing is assembled. The battery connector needs to be handled the same either way.

MT
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined Dec 2008
19 Posts
Help! Since I repaired my Skybus after its maiden flight / crash, it won't lift off the ground. The tail rotates up, and it scoots along the ground like crazy. The controls are NOT reversed, and the elevator trim looks good. The only non - stock items on this RTF plane are the motor shafts, collets and GWS 8040 x 3 props vs the 8060 x 3 supplied with the plane. Any ideas?
jeffkix is offline Find More Posts by jeffkix
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:31 AM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
Jeff:

Are the props facing correctly? A backwards prop will still kind of look OK, but what should be the trailing edge of a prop blade in a proper installation will now instead be the leading edge. It will look like you have a proper pitch angle, but the blade won't develop nearly the same amount of thrust. In a sense, the prop blade is now like the airfoil on a reversed inverted wing.

Just a thought.

MT
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:44 AM
Joined Dec 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Tweeke View Post
Jeff:

Are the props facing correctly? A backwards prop will still kind of look OK, but what should be the trailing edge of a prop blade in a proper installation will now instead be the leading edge. It will look like you have a proper pitch angle, but the blade won't develop nearly the same amount of thrust. In a sense, the prop blade is now like the airfoil on a reversed inverted wing.

Just a thought.

MT
A good thought, at that MT. It would likely make the plane act so, but I carefully check that each time I work on the motors.
jeffkix is offline Find More Posts by jeffkix
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,904 Posts
That would be the first thing to check. I saw someone with a nitro plane that took off but flew with no power. Landed it and found out he had the prop on backwards !
Can't think of anything else that would prevent it from lifting. You can't put the wing on upside down. Even with little to no elevator input it will eventually lift .