HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hemet,CA
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
Well heres just a little update on my Skybus, i basically just painted my GWS 8x4 orange props a more realistic color, it came out pretty good.

Name: P1030189.jpg
Views: 171
Size: 64.5 KB
Description:
Tamilflyer150 is offline Find More Posts by Tamilflyer150
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Dec 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilflyer150 View Post
Well heres just a little update on my Skybus, i basically just painted my GWS 8x4 orange props a more realistic color, it came out pretty good.

Attachment 3879162
Looks good! Your last couple of Skybus videos were great to watch.
jeffkix is offline Find More Posts by jeffkix
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Dec 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
Been working on my Skybus. Replaced the motors with some 480's and Esc's from Jeff at Heads Up. Replaced the wheels with some 3 inchers I had lying around. I fly from a rough grass field and the stock set-up wasn't cutting it. It would not accellerate to flying speed. I am going to use a 4s1p 4000 lipo and 8 x 6 3 bladed counter-rotating props. I'm also adding flaps. The stock wheels got stuck on every clump of grass.
Hey Big Johnny - What Escs go with those 480s?
Heads Up has awesome shipping to go with their great selection and prices.
BTW - their 3mm x 47mm replacement prop shaft fits the Dynam Motors - just add a collet prop adapter and you're back in business. But buy some spare shafts, they're pretty soft...
jeffkix is offline Find More Posts by jeffkix
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:50 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,795 Posts
In flight pics with retracts,

Didn't get any pictures with the gear down, but rest assured my Eflite retract units work flawlessly. I do not have any problems with nose-over either as some have indicated. And as this was my first weekend out testing the MAS 8x6 three blade props, I can say..wow, smooth running, plenty of power, and scale cruising at about 60% throttle. With the GWS 9x5's I had before, I was not getting nearly as good of performance and I had to run at higher throttle most of the time. It also helps that I started running 2650 40c 3s instead of the 3000 20c 3s. The 40C batts pack more punch for sure. Now I need to do the surgery to make the tail wheel steerable. I had originally glued it in place as a belly slider, and now it is free castering, but binds badly.

Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:59 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
Didn't get any pictures with the gear down, but rest assured my Eflite retract units work flawlessly. I do not have any problems with nose-over either as some have indicated. And as this was my first weekend out testing the MAS 8x6 three blade props, I can say..wow, smooth running, plenty of power, and scale cruising at about 60% throttle. With the GWS 9x5's I had before, I was not getting nearly as good of performance and I had to run at higher throttle most of the time. It also helps that I started running 2650 40c 3s instead of the 3000 20c 3s. The 40C batts pack more punch for sure. Now I need to do the surgery to make the tail wheel steerable. I had originally glued it in place as a belly slider, and now it is free castering, but binds badly.

Cub
Nice over all. Love the ageing paint job....
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,795 Posts
Yeah that effect was achieved by allowing over spray from the underside, to get on the top side a little. It kinda looks like overspray to me, but also looks kinda cool, so I just left it. Gonna touch up the underside where I did the retract install. Then it will be time to readdress the tail wheel.

Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:48 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,863 Posts
DC-3 Skybus to AC047 Spooky

Here's some quick pics and a little video of my work so-far. Paint work and clear is done, detailing is done, lighting is done, and decals are almost finished. Still need to find some scale prop adapters for the GWS props. Otherwise it's stock running gear.

Brian

Skybus DC-3 to AC-47 Spooky (3 min 32 sec)
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:48 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Here's some quick pics and a little video of my work so-far. Paint work and clear is done, detailing is done, lighting is done, and decals are almost finished. Still need to find some scale prop adapters for the GWS props. Otherwise it's stock running gear.

Brian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9KEySKL8ag
Wow Nicely Done
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:44 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
Wow Nicely Done
++1

Yes, VERY nicely done.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:57 PM
Hemet,CA
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
well heres just another quick update on my GWS 8x4 props on my skybus, i had to take the old paint off because it was very heavy and made the props very unbalanced and the paint acrylic paint i used was kinda old so i re-painted them again with some newer paint but instead of blue and white tips i choose to paint the tips yellow instead because it shows up better.
Name: IMAG0004.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 37.0 KB
Description: Name: IMAG0001.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 68.7 KB
Description:
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2008
25 Posts
Thr DC-3 is great - I also have Dynams Cessna 310R (Grand Cruiser) that flys even better (I think). The steerable nose wheel makes ground handling much better but I have added steerable tail wheel to my DC-3. I'm going to try to add pic.s of the mod. but don't see any "add attachment" button here.
At any rate I cut a small square section out of the bottom of fusalage including the tail wheel, attached a control arm to the tail wheel button inside, ran a push/pull shaft from that arm to the rudder servo and glued it back in place. Not as good ground control as the tricycle gear on the Cessna (the DC-3 tail is pretty light) but it's pretty good as long as you don't have too much cross wind.
If I'm able to post a picture you'll notice I painted the plane silver like the original DC-3s - looks cool on the groung and in the air.
DoctorBill is offline Find More Posts by DoctorBill
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:48 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post

Brian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9KEySKL8ag

Great job on the camo paint scheme. That's not an easy task. Very nice job!
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:09 AM
Hemet,CA
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
Heres my latest flight video of my skybus.
My Dynam Skybus Flight Video with a Surprise! (3 min 31 sec)
Old Mar 29, 2011, 04:36 PM
Why Yes I Fly!
United States, IA
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
My Dc-3

I just went for the normal decal schme but you have to admit this picture is awesome
schroeder4 is offline Find More Posts by schroeder4
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:24 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilflyer150 View Post
Heres my latest flight video of my skybus.
Very nice recovery from that tip stall. I thought it was a goner for sure.
Great job!
dhunter19 is offline Find More Posts by dhunter19