HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:27 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
great, djman! good luck on the maiden and please post a flight report!

just unboxed mine.....best word to describe it: wow! it's a beauty, and this really shows once you actually get your hands on it. i know there are some who don't want it because of the questionable electronics but it's worth it just to get this plane. should be able to start building/painting tomorrow. tony, hope you get that nice weather that you need!

rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:50 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2009
215 Posts
UPS man dropped mine off today! Looking forward to the build. Any words of wisdom from those that have already assembled one?? I plan on putting a spektrum receiver in it and flying it with my DX6i. She sure looks huge sitting on the couch in pieces!
fotowiz is offline Find More Posts by fotowiz
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:57 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
it does get big when you start taking it out of the box! it's larger than i thought it would be, for sure. i am going to use the my own tx and rx as well. interestingly, the pack (have not looked at the esc's) have the horizon type connectors on it (is it called ec3?), and not deans. not a problem, i'll switch them out or use jumpers that i already have.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:21 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotowiz View Post
UPS man dropped mine off today! Looking forward to the build. Any words of wisdom from those that have already assembled one?? I plan on putting a spektrum receiver in it and flying it with my DX6i. She sure looks huge sitting on the couch in pieces!
Fotowiz, I followed the advice that the Nitroplanes reviewer gave in his YT video, about not gluing the rear main landing gear struts down until you fit the lower wing cross-piece over the wiring groove. When I did glue them, I just used a drop of glue plus a square of white plastic tape over the spot where the strut fits in the wing. Of course, assemble the electronics and try them out before you touch glue to anything. I also dry-fitted the plane together before gluing, but there were no surprises--It goes together really nice, especially the tail surfaces which fit together like a well-designed puzzle. Post some pics when u get ur plane together!
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:30 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
a big thanks to mr. bladehead for getting us started with this plane!!
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:10 PM
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jul 2003
228 Posts
Dynam DC-3

[QUOTE=fotowiz;14550389]UPS man dropped mine off today! Looking forward to the build. Any words of wisdom from those that have already assembled one?? I plan on putting a spektrum receiver in it and flying it with my DX6i. She sure looks huge sitting on the couch in pieces![/QUOTE It goes together with no problems, it took a little more than an hour to build, most of the fun was putting the Eastern DC-3 decals on, but i got defective ESC, so it is sittin' on the bench waiting to maiden!! It might be a while
ZAGI CRAZEE is offline Find More Posts by ZAGI CRAZEE
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:27 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2009
215 Posts
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses guys. I probably won't start on it until the weekend, but you never know. I appreciate the help and adivse!
fotowiz is offline Find More Posts by fotowiz
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:29 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,895 Posts
I'm glad to see other pilots getting their DC-3s. Anybody else doing mods and painting?

If these 35 mph, gusting to 55 mph winds don't stop, I may have to cover everything in the garage and finish painting mine inside. I can't wait to see the Camo scheme applied to the AC-47.

Scott - Any word of the GWS 3 Blade prop tests?

Good luck and have fun,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:41 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Hey Tony, I'm going to run them tomorrow. I have been painting today. I also got the gear taken apart and sprayed the right color. I removed the racing slick wheels and used a more scale looking wheel. Took the cowls off and trimmed up the back edges so that they were even and shot them with OD. I am also going to use a couple small screws to hold the cowls on. I am painting the wing as we speak and its going real well. The Testors OD spray enamel does very well on the foam. I am using just one coat and it is covering very well. Got to keep her light so she floats like the stock ones. I can't wait to fly this little puppy. I still can't get over how scale the airframe is and that they actually took the time to get the landing gear right. I am going to use my JR 2.4 9303 TX and a Spektrum DX5 receiver in mine. I need to find some needy kid thats in to aviation to give the stock trans. and receiver to.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:02 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Hey Tony, I'm going to run them tomorrow. I have been painting today. I also got the gear taken apart and sprayed the right color. I removed the racing slick wheels and used a more scale looking wheel. Took the cowls off and trimmed up the back edges so that they were even and shot them with OD. I am also going to use a couple small screws to hold the cowls on. I am painting the wing as we speak and its going real well. The Testors OD spray enamel does very well on the foam. I am using just one coat and it is covering very well. Got to keep her light so she floats like the stock ones. I can't wait to fly this little puppy. I still can't get over how scale the airframe is and that they actually took the time to get the landing gear right. I am going to use my JR 2.4 9303 TX and a Spektrum DX5 receiver in mine. I need to find some needy kid thats in to aviation to give the stock trans. and receiver to.
Cool! Looking forward seeing to the prop results and some pics of your bird. Which OD scheme are you doing?

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:24 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
did anybody else get ec3 connectors on the esc's and pack? kind of strange, i have never seen these on anything else but the pz birds.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:47 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
[QUOTE=rob737;14552630]did anybody else get ec3 connectors on the esc's and pack?

I did. Changed them to Deans Ultra. Can anyone tell us what kind of balance connector is on the stock 3 cell lipo. I hope we can find out so we can use a real charger at the field.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:51 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,895 Posts
[QUOTE=Scott Morgan;14552831]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737 View Post
did anybody else get ec3 connectors on the esc's and pack?

I did. Changed them to Deans Ultra. Can anyone tell us what kind of balance connector is on the stock 3 cell lipo. I hope we can find out so we can use a real charger at the field.
I also changed both the ESC and the stock battery connector to Deans Ultra. Balance connector is the standard lipo connector.

Here's a few photos of the A380 that I've been working on till the weather improves to finish the AC-47.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 09, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:55 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Tony, I'm wanting to know which balance connector the stock connector is compatible with. Hyperion,TP,JST,E-Tec,FMA ect ect............
Thanks
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:09 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott morgan View Post
tony, i'm wanting to know which balance connector the stock connector is compatible with. Hyperion,tp,jst,e-tec,fma ect ect............
Thanks
jst
RCG Plus Member