HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2010, 11:31 PM
Brillion,WI 54110
Joined Jul 2009
593 Posts
Help!
Pinnion won't reach Spur! Update, found one..but gearing problem now?

So I decided to go brushless on my old Bandit....and well I can't get the pinnion to reach the spur! Its a good 1/8 inch away. I have a 15T pinnion that I was going to use. It is an old Bandit. It is a white nylon? spur. The Sidewinder motor hits the transmission case before it reaches the spur. So...if I wanted to update the transmission to the new type clutch...is it a drop in? Or at least the transmissions the same minus internals? Old trans out new XL5/VXL in? Or would there be some mods.
planebldr is offline Find More Posts by planebldr
Last edited by planebldr; Feb 06, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2010, 02:02 AM
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined May 2009
99 Posts
I believe they are essentially the same. Sounds like you need a larger spur gear.
The Castle motors have screws holding the endbells on, these will sometimes hit the trans before it moves over far enough. Sometimes you can rotate the motor a bit to clear.
Which motor is it? I can help you get the proper gearing.
burnineyes is offline Find More Posts by burnineyes
Old Feb 06, 2010, 08:18 AM
Brillion,WI 54110
Joined Jul 2009
593 Posts
I tried rotating it a few times...but it just won't go. I didn't want to go too high on the gearing since it would be for short tracks, or in the back yard/grass. I didn't want to overheat the thing. If I were to update to the larger spur...it would reach. That old white one just doesn't reach. Either way the trans probably wouldn't handle brushless being that old.

Update...I found the original pinnion...and it reaches. Now....with the original spur at 72ish teeth, and the pinion at 24....should I be concerned about overheating on above said driving conditions? I will only be using Nimh 7.2 or 8.4 packs. No 3 cell lipos for me. I did purchase a fan for the esc....still have to mount it though.
planebldr is offline Find More Posts by planebldr
Last edited by planebldr; Feb 06, 2010 at 08:41 AM.