HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
455 Posts
I set the timer for 3 mins and it would go to 4 if needed. Had lots of flights on the stock motor on 4s, lots of fun and no problems at all.
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:24 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
Here is mine on a 4s 2200mah batt. Stock motor and fan (static balanced at home), 60 amp ESC (overkill). Anyway, much faster than stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arrQB9Y5QQQ
Beautiful...landing
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:39 PM
Joined Mar 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
Beautiful...landing
Thanks. Every once in a while I get lucky.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:17 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot83 View Post
Im shocked that the motor can handle 4s stock. I could def drop in a 50 amp esc and see how that goes. Im assuming 4 min flights?

Coot
This is what you will see when you put a 4800KV on 4s in the F-18

Airfield F-15 64mm 4s Exceed RC 4800kv (3 min 26 sec)
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Mar 2010
455 Posts
Funny that you posted that vid. That is a flying buddy of mine at our local flying spot. I actually just put a 4800kv/4s/64mm set up in a Phase 3 F-16. It's a rocket for sure.

Justin
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:41 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
Funny that you posted that vid. That is a flying buddy of mine at our local flying spot. I actually just put a 4800kv/4s/64mm set up in a Phase 3 F-16. It's a rocket for sure.

Justin
What a co-incidence...this video inspired me to cowboy up...definately makes people crack up on a low high speed pass

I bet you get better speed on the F-16.....more aerodynamic airframe....I envy you guys...that is a sweet parking lot runway....I got this dirt gravel road I gotta be careful to take off and land with
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:36 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
703 Posts
4S is definitely the way to go if you are looking for more performance. In my case I'm using the stock fan but a 60A ESC, 2650mah 4S battery and the 4000 kv "plus" Wicked motor from DonsRC. It's fast, I posted this video earlier in this thread, before I installed the retracts:

Airfield F-18 64mm Wicked EDF (4 min 15 sec)

This is with full ordinance too.

This airframe flies great on 3S too though if kept light. I posted this before as well, we fly 5 of these blue angels in "formation", bone stock with GensAce 1550mah 3S and they move along with plenty for loops and stuff . They are awesome fun, check it out if you haven't:

Airfield F-18 Blue Angels X 5, sunny day (3 min 29 sec)
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:20 AM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
What cg do you use for your F-18 Blue Angels?
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:02 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
4S is definitely the way to go if you are looking for more performance. In my case I'm using the stock fan but a 60A ESC, 2650mah 4S battery and the 4000 kv "plus" Wicked motor from DonsRC. It's fast, I posted this video earlier in this thread, before I installed the retracts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp121Cv0ngA

This is with full ordinance too.

This airframe flies great on 3S too though if kept light. I posted this before as well, we fly 5 of these blue angels in "formation", bone stock with GensAce 1550mah 3S and they move along with plenty for loops and stuff . They are awesome fun, check it out if you haven't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_trv-5bZN4

That things got some heat to it!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:50 PM
Joined May 2010
1,846 Posts
[QUOTE=Castel101;22897368]I thought I would share my retracts mod to the F-18. It's a little heavier but with the 4000+ wicked EDF, 60A ESC it flies great and sounds awesome. I really like its performance.

This is the only picture outside that I have of it with retracts after the mod, ignore the plane on the left .

There's no way I could fit the rear retracts under the jet's belly as in the real one, it's just too thin to support the servoless retracts and would've required a lot more work. I decided to mount them like this, retracting backwards. This was so that the CG wouldn't change much with gears up or down. There are two wheels going up backwards and only one at the nose retracting forward but since the front one is further from the CG it evens out pretty good. The rears end up "hidden" behind the bombs so pretty much invisible in flight.

Hi castle, do you think these retracts will work for f-18 also... did u use the stock struts?...thx
hate2crash is online now Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
What cg do you use for your F-18 Blue Angels?
Hi Aphro, we use around the same CG posted earlier in this thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post19714205

There's a good picture there from tdab.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
That things got some heat to it!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
Hi castle, do you think these retracts will work for f-18 also... did u use the stock struts?...thx
I'm not sure I'm following you. That picture I posted that you quoted was of this F-18, Vigilantes paint scheme version, with the retracts.

The struts I used came from some e-flite wire struts I had lying around. I had to re-bend them for the appropriate length but worked ok. They are 3 or 3.5mm steel wire.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined May 2010
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
Thanks!

I'm not sure I'm following you. That picture I posted that you quoted was of this F-18, Vigilantes paint scheme version, with the retracts.

The struts I used came from some e-flite wire struts I had lying around. I had to re-bend them for the appropriate length but worked ok. They are 3 or 3.5mm steel wire.
Sorry, i forgot to post the link to retracts... here's the ones http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dy-10...ct-3mm-75.html i think might work and it looks like the part that holds the strut is metal..i was thinking i could make the stock struts fit with a little grinding and epoxy...thax
hate2crash is online now Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
Sorry, i forgot to post the link to retracts... here's the ones http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dy-10...ct-3mm-75.html i think might work and it looks like the part that holds the strut is metal..i was thinking i could make the stock struts fit with a little grinding and epoxy...thax
I almost couldn't find where I got the retracts I used! The ones you are linking to are 75 degrees rotating which is not what you want. The standard ones are 90 degree rotating which they also carry at Nitroplanes. The only issue is that at Nitroplanes they mounting plates on the top so you'll have to make a wood base mount support to "hug" the retract unit in order to screw them in.

The ones I used allow for the mounting plate to be unscrewed and attached to the bottom so that they can be mounted on a flat surface. Check my picture and you'll see what I mean. This is the link to the ones I used, 3 of them:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...1pc_18_8g.html
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:05 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
998 Posts
Anyone know where to get these now? Have one I run on 4S and it's great. It was my first EDF so it has the wear and tear to show it!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7