HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waters10 View Post
You got me doubting myself as I had measured this stuff long ago, more than 6 months ago. So I just remeasured everything with a freshly charged 2500mah 4s gens ace 25c.

Dons wicked 4000kv with airfield 64mm fan, I got 750 watts, 51amps. This is what I have on my F-15.

Turborix 4000kv with airfield 64mm fan, I got 817 watts, 55amps. This is what I'm using in this FMS/airfield F-18.

I don't recall the turborix reaching this high when I measured it long ago ... According to the specs on r2hobbies, I'm way above the max current! I got this motor after 2 guys recommended it, dark angel and fresnojay. I just checked my old PMs and dark angel did mention over 800W with this motor.

I have the GT power 130a watt meter. To be honest, it looks exactly the same as the turnigy one. The only reason I got this one is because the turnigy was always out of stock. I got it from value hobby.

Now your numbers seem off, because 55amps, 670W, means your voltage is 12.18V, which is very low for 4s and more like 3s territory. My voltage never got below 14.5V during the test.

I haven't even tried to program the turnigy sentry 55a esc ... All I did, was to set the throttle points on both of mine.

Thanks Waters for your confirmation...a motor with such a huge watt rating cant be that bad IMHO

Back to my numbers....that is data generated from hobbyking watt meter

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=26526

I would have to wait till tonight when I go home to see exact C rating on the 1800mah's 4s I used...also I cannot say for sure whether if the pack was fully charged...but they were certainly 4s packs...ill have to run the numbers again with a fully charged pack.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/75m95-ducted-2215-4800.html

according to the motor specs advertised, I am already over the wattage limit...yes I plan on a short life but that is ok....perhaps this should factor in to the relatively under power to theory.

thank you

tengarang
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:24 PM
Canton, MI
Joined Sep 2006
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
Thanks Waters for your confirmation...a motor with such a huge watt rating cant be that bad IMHO

Back to my numbers....that is data generated from hobbyking watt meter

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=26526

I would have to wait till tonight when I go home to see exact C rating on the 1800mah's 4s I used...also I cannot say for sure whether if the pack was fully charged...but they were certainly 4s packs...ill have to run the numbers again with a fully charged pack.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/75m95-ducted-2215-4800.html

according to the motor specs advertised, I am already over the wattage limit...yes I plan on a short life but that is ok....perhaps this should factor in to the relatively under power to theory.

thank you

tengarang
It seems like your battery is providing the amps, but the voltage sag is quite high. You're probably close to hitting lvc.

Anyway, here's a video of mine. Kinda boring flying, but I had just crashed a plane and didn't want to make my morning even worse!

Airfield/FMS F-18 Hornet (2 min 12 sec)
waters10 is offline Find More Posts by waters10
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:27 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,801 Posts
Quote:
It seems like your battery is providing the amps, but the voltage sag is quite high. You're probably close to hitting lvc.

Anyway, here's a video of mine. Kinda boring flying, but I had just crashed a plane and didn't want to make my morning even worse!

https://vimeo.com/49425927
That was not boring at all nice video and landing....

yeah so I was running 35C battery....but charge I am not certain. The best I will be able to do is hook up my biggest 4s I own for this aircraft, and that is 2250mah 4s 45-65C. Ill have a go at it again right off the peak charger next time..ill probably end up adjusting the timing to low on the esc as well to make sure its preped for high rpm.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:32 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno4sure View Post
Here is a picture of my rudder mod. Not a new idea, I'm sure, but it works! At most angles you can hardly see the linkages as they are painted gray.
Thanks for the Pic and info. I like this set up. Are those metal pushrods reinforced with CF shrink wrapped? How does it perform with them? Knife Edge?
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:22 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Thanks for the Pic and info. I like this set up. Are those metal pushrods reinforced with CF shrink wrapped? How does it perform with them? Knife Edge?
Did the rudder mod today (finally!). Put it together in about an hour from start to finish. Well worth it! Knife edge is great and snap rolls too( first by accident- too much throw!!??). I'm using 4s 1300-2200 with stock ESC (only gets a little warm) in this little edf and it really flies great.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Last edited by dth7; Oct 02, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:47 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,079 Posts
Quote:
You had good fortune with you on that take-off, because it sounded like some small debris was sucked into your fan. Had that happen to me, blades shattered before rotation so it stayed on the ground ...
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
746 Posts
I thought I would share my retracts mod to the F-18. It's a little heavier but with the 4000+ wicked EDF, 60A ESC it flies great and sounds awesome. I really like its performance.

This is the only picture outside that I have of it with retracts after the mod, ignore the plane on the left .

There's no way I could fit the rear retracts under the jet's belly as in the real one, it's just too thin to support the servoless retracts and would've required a lot more work. I decided to mount them like this, retracting backwards. This was so that the CG wouldn't change much with gears up or down. There are two wheels going up backwards and only one at the nose retracting forward but since the front one is further from the CG it evens out pretty good. The rears end up "hidden" behind the bombs so pretty much invisible in flight.

Nose steering servo and front retract detail.

And a crappy picture I had of it hanging from the ceiling, just to show how it looks with gear up.

Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Last edited by Castel101; Oct 25, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:00 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,801 Posts
looks so cool!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:34 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
I thought I would share my retracts mod to the F-18. It's a little heavier but with the 4000+ wicked EDF, 60A ESC it flies great and sounds awesome. I really like its performance.
Very nice I may get another one of these airframes if they go on sale again. Mine still flies great but the under-side is showing its age from all the belly lands....I am coming up on 100 flights with the same combo. Tom
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined May 2010
1,865 Posts
I have been researching f-18's...i checked out starmax 27'' span 3s and their 33'' span f-18 4s also checked out exceed new f-18's which seem to be a more floaty looking air frame....I just received an FMS f-35 kit last week which i still have not flown and i must say the foam is as good as it gets.... I read how some guys are running 4s in the fms f-18 with stock motor and esc...Is this okay or a bad idea? anyone ever research or fly those other f-18's i mentioned and which is the best and why... thax
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:41 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
I have been researching f-18's...i checked out starmax 27'' span 3s and their 33'' span f-18 4s also checked out exceed new f-18's which seem to be a more floaty looking air frame....I just received an FMS f-35 kit last week which i still have not flown and i must say the foam is as good as it gets.... I read how some guys are running 4s in the fms f-18 with stock motor and esc...Is this okay or a bad idea? anyone ever research or fly those other f-18's i mentioned and which is the best and why... thax
The current versions of the FMS 64mm jets come wih 35amp esc and a 4100kv motor. You can run 4s but! i recommend you do not exceed 1800mah 4s, anything higher in amperage capacity will push the esc Very close to 35 amps and there fore threaten you with a brown out. I fly my F-35 stock with 1800mah 4s with a external ubec for insurance.

my F-18 I use a different setup on 3s with this fan and motor combo from nitroplanes

http://www.nitroplanes.com/88e-adf64-300xl-kv5250.html

very quiet like jet sound and is plenty fast...like 4s use a 45amp esc for his one...

regards

tengarang
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined May 2010
1,865 Posts
Quote:
The current versions of the FMS 64mm jets come wih 35amp esc and a 4100kv motor. You can run 4s but! i recommend you do not exceed 1800mah 4s, anything higher in amperage capacity will push the esc Very close to 35 amps and there fore threaten you with a brown out. I fly my F-35 stock with 1800mah 4s with a external ubec for insurance.

my F-18 I use a different setup on 3s with this fan and motor combo from nitroplanes

http://www.nitroplanes.com/88e-adf64-300xl-kv5250.html

very quiet like jet sound and is plenty fast...like 4s use a 45amp esc for his one...

regards

tengarang
How do you like your f-35 compared to your f-18 do they fly similiar...i ask because i am pretty new to rc planes and just got into edfs..thx
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:05 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,801 Posts
Quote:
How do you like your f-35 compared to your f-18 do they fly similiar...i ask because i am pretty new to rc planes and just got into edfs..thx
My F-18 is faster on 3s with the setup that I have definitely...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined May 2010
1,865 Posts
Quote:
My F-18 is faster on 3s with the setup that I have definitely...
wow so fms f -18 on 3s using nitro planes $17 edf is faster then fms f-35 stock edf on 4s? Does your f-18 have more power from a dead stop with nitro edf or the original stock EDF it came with?and will it take off even faster using less runway?...I am most likely going to order one soon..FMS models have never disappointed me..and this f-18 seems like a home run in 64mm class...thax
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:49 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,801 Posts
Quote:
wow so fms f -18 on 3s using nitro planes $17 edf is faster then fms f-35 stock edf on 4s? Does your f-18 have more power from a dead stop with nitro edf or the original stock EDF it came with?and will it take off even faster using less runway?...I am most likely going to order one soon..FMS models have never disappointed me..and this f-18 seems like a home run in 64mm class...thax
The F-18 definitely pulls harder...I think it is also heavier than the F-35. Definately get one...they are beautiful in the air with the missiles and bombs.

If i choose to do it over again I will use a 1800mah sky lipo 3s so that I dont need to cut the foam as much. The fan and the 1800mah pushed back as far as you can...will balance out. Dont worry and try it..shell float