HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
Registered User
fredmdbud's Avatar
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
Yes, I have been through 3 of these FMS/Airfield F/A-18C's, and Art-Tech nosecones are not an exact match (about an extra cm in length, you can fix that with a little trimming), but maintain the same contour and outline. You're welcome to try and wait for parts to come back in stock, but beggars can't be choosers, just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
Minneapolis...

Are you sure it will fit?

Yes... as soon as I crashed my thoughts went right to airspeed and the fact that the F18 isn't a power house with the stock set-up

The F18 was my 5th maiden of the day. New Beast 3D (replacement for defective), SBach, Micro Stryker and Skytrainer 182 were successfully maiden prior to the F18. All of which have plenty of thrust to gain altitude in a moments notice. I actually had a hell of thime getting the Skytrainer on the ground... she just wanted to float on forever The other factor was it was dead calm so roll out was much longer than anticipated which put me further across the parking lot in area with too many obstacles
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Aphro's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
How much you looking for?
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:53 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,581 Posts
Hey Aphro,

I have this setup on my F-15 eagle by FMS...I imagine you will get the same performance if you want more power....for not too much more cash...


4800kv exceed with the hobbyking 70AMP...im drawing 55amps at 670 watts on 1800 4s..... i anticipate 58amp threatening close to 700 watts on 2250 mah 4s....

used stock fan...you will require a vice to press in the 3.17mm shaft of the motor to the stock edf collet or get a 3.17mm collet but dont know where to find it.
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:51 PM
Registered User
fredmdbud's Avatar
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
How much you looking for?
It's a scratch (no dent) ... just shipping
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:58 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Aphro's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Send me your PayPal address and shipping costs and I will send the cash
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:22 PM
Registered User
fredmdbud's Avatar
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
Send me a PM with your e-mail and mailing addresses; I'll reply when I have it packed up and shipped for actual cost.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Aphro's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Done...

Out of curiosity, is there another thread for these EDFs that I missed? I only ask because I would have thought more people would be flying these considering they have been around since 2010...
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:28 PM
Registered User
fredmdbud's Avatar
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,996 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450793
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:31 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
dth7's Avatar
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
990 Posts
Looking for single rudder servo setup to run two rudders (with linkage). Anyone have it or seen it. Trying to limit weight penalty. Thanks
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Registered User
reno4sure's Avatar
Joined May 2011
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Looking for single rudder servo setup to run two rudders (with linkage). Anyone have it or seen it. Trying to limit weight penalty. Thanks
I used a single servo on my Exceed F-18. Works like a charm. I mounted the servo on top of the fuse just forward of the Rudders. Placed the control horns on the inside of the rudders. I'll post a picture later today.
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fms 1700 f4u
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:10 AM
Registered User
Canton, MI
Joined Sep 2006
125 Posts
I forgot to post a maiden report here.

I got this plane for father's day, took forever to put it together as it usually happens with me ... Maiden was around 2 weeks ago.

I built mine from replacement parts. I'm using a 4000kv chinese cheapie with airfield 64mm fan that I statically balanced. 2500mah 4s gens ace 25c. Turnigy Sentry 55a esc. I get above 750W with this setup.

Maiden went somewhat ok. I found out that ailerons were super sensitive! And I didn't get enough elevator throws. It was also a bit nose heavy. Landing could've been better, but the super sensitive ailerons caused me to bank slightly and the plane ended up skidding, scratching wing tip/breaking side missile and causing one of the main landing gears to pop.

Turned out that both landing gear boxes came unglued from the fuselage. I glued the landing gear, rebalanced the plane and I think I logged 5-6 more flights since maiden. Pretty happy with the plane now!

This is my second EDF. First one is a freewing f-15 with pretty much the same setup: 4000kv (dons wicked) and exactly the same fan and battery. This F-18 is quicker, more agile and not as floaty as the F-15. Expected since it's smaller and I although I didn't weigh either plane, I know I have higher wing loading on the F-18.
waters10 is offline Find More Posts by waters10
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waters10 View Post
I forgot to post a maiden report here.

I got this plane for father's day, took forever to put it together as it usually happens with me ... Maiden was around 2 weeks ago.

I built mine from replacement parts. I'm using a 4000kv chinese cheapie with airfield 64mm fan that I statically balanced. 2500mah 4s gens ace 25c. Turnigy Sentry 55a esc. I get above 750W with this setup.

Maiden went somewhat ok. I found out that ailerons were super sensitive! And I didn't get enough elevator throws. It was also a bit nose heavy. Landing could've been better, but the super sensitive ailerons caused me to bank slightly and the plane ended up skidding, scratching wing tip/breaking side missile and causing one of the main landing gears to pop.

Turned out that both landing gear boxes came unglued from the fuselage. I glued the landing gear, rebalanced the plane and I think I logged 5-6 more flights since maiden. Pretty happy with the plane now!

This is my second EDF. First one is a freewing f-15 with pretty much the same setup: 4000kv (dons wicked) and exactly the same fan and battery. This F-18 is quicker, more agile and not as floaty as the F-15. Expected since it's smaller and I although I didn't weigh either plane, I know I have higher wing loading on the F-18.

Hey waters what kind of amperage are you drawing with the 4000KV? you say your drawing 750watts.

What kind of watt meter are you using...this is not consistent with my numbers and I would like to find out why...

my current settings on my esc are the following...

1) automatic timing --> will try low timing next for higher rpm to ensure this
2) 16khz switching frequency -->no change needed
3) low power cutoff --> maximizes power of battery current draw.

With my 4800KV exceed motor I am drawing 55amps and only 670 watts ....however the pack i am using is 1800mah 4s.

With a 2200mah I may get close to 700 watts max....my best estimate, I will need to test this on the bench with perhaps 58 amps to 60 amps at best.

With all this I am running a motor with 8000kV more in addition to your 4000KV motor with the same fan.....this is too huge of a differential....

My conclusion is...1) either I have a bad watt meter, 2) esc needs to be programmed to specs listed above, 3) my C rating is too low...however to my recollection I am using a 35C -45C rating turnigy Nano tech on my 1800mah 4s...this will also be the case for the 2200mah 4s.

Ill draw some more data....

OR

your 4000KV motor may be much higher WATT rating than what I have which means it would have to be physically beefier in length and diameter...and that I would like to know what motor your running....and of course the amp draw at the rail power draw

thanks in advance

tengarang
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
Registered User
reno4sure's Avatar
Joined May 2011
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Looking for single rudder servo setup to run two rudders (with linkage). Anyone have it or seen it. Trying to limit weight penalty. Thanks
Here is a picture of my rudder mod. Not a new idea, I'm sure, but it works! At most angles you can hardly see the linkages as they are painted gray.
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fms 1700 f4u
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
I want to fly everything!
Lance Nordby's Avatar
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
955 Posts
Five maidens in one day? Wow!

I set the timer for 2:40 and the way we fly these things it's WOT all the way.

I would have to endorse this model as a great EDF trainer. It flies really nice.

I don't know how many times I've hit that rudder on landing to make a correction and nothing happens! One of my buddies added rudder control but he says he doesn't like it. He says it behaves strangely.

It sounds like you need to get a pan of water boiling and stick the front of the fuselage in it. It will expand the foam but you will have to put up with some funkyness to the surface finish where the heat gets to it. It can be smoothed a bit with a putty knife or equivalent while it's still hot.

With jets it's all about air speed.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:20 PM
Registered User
Canton, MI
Joined Sep 2006
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
Hey waters what kind of amperage are you drawing with the 4000KV? you say your drawing 750watts.

What kind of watt meter are you using...this is not consistent with my numbers and I would like to find out why...

my current settings on my esc are the following...

1) automatic timing --> will try low timing next for higher rpm to ensure this
2) 16khz switching frequency -->no change needed
3) low power cutoff --> maximizes power of battery current draw.

With my 4800KV exceed motor I am drawing 55amps and only 670 watts ....however the pack i am using is 1800mah 4s.

With a 2200mah I may get close to 700 watts max....my best estimate, I will need to test this on the bench with perhaps 58 amps to 60 amps at best.

With all this I am running a motor with 8000kV more in addition to your 4000KV motor with the same fan.....this is too huge of a differential....

My conclusion is...1) either I have a bad watt meter, 2) esc needs to be programmed to specs listed above, 3) my C rating is too low...however to my recollection I am using a 35C -45C rating turnigy Nano tech on my 1800mah 4s...this will also be the case for the 2200mah 4s.

Ill draw some more data....

OR

your 4000KV motor may be much higher WATT rating than what I have which means it would have to be physically beefier in length and diameter...and that I would like to know what motor your running....and of course the amp draw at the rail power draw

thanks in advance

tengarang
You got me doubting myself as I had measured this stuff long ago, more than 6 months ago. So I just remeasured everything with a freshly charged 2500mah 4s gens ace 25c.

Dons wicked 4000kv with airfield 64mm fan, I got 750 watts, 51amps. This is what I have on my F-15.

Turborix 4000kv with airfield 64mm fan, I got 817 watts, 55amps. This is what I'm using in this FMS/airfield F-18.

I don't recall the turborix reaching this high when I measured it long ago ... According to the specs on r2hobbies, I'm way above the max current! I got this motor after 2 guys recommended it, dark angel and fresnojay. I just checked my old PMs and dark angel did mention over 800W with this motor.

I have the GT power 130a watt meter. To be honest, it looks exactly the same as the turnigy one. The only reason I got this one is because the turnigy was always out of stock. I got it from value hobby.

Now your numbers seem off, because 55amps, 670W, means your voltage is 12.18V, which is very low for 4s and more like 3s territory. My voltage never got below 14.5V during the test.

I haven't even tried to program the turnigy sentry 55a esc ... All I did, was to set the throttle points on both of mine.
waters10 is offline Find More Posts by waters10
Last edited by waters10; Sep 13, 2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added link for watt meter
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Nitro Planes New Airfield 70MM F-16 EDF Jet FlyBoyTha1 Foamy EDFs 29 Sep 24, 2010 01:10 AM