HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:13 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
I just finished assembling my Blue Angels F18 and was hoping someone could help me clarify if FMS has changed the recommended CG for this aircraft. It's from the latest shipment that arrived at BH last month. After searching the thread I see everyone is using 65mm as their recommended CG. The FMS manual I received shows CG to be 88mm. Mine arrived with the new FMS 35amp esc, but it doesn't look like it could weigh more than the old 30amp they originally came with. Any suggestions from seasoned F18 pilots would b greatly appreciated.
i dont recall the cg, but this is what you can do and what i did which worked. Put the stock 1300mah batt in the stock compartment ...it should balance out fine, because i cut the battery area to fit a 2200 which scoots all the way till it hits the back battery wall and had it balance out slight nose heavy several degrees as it would with the 1300mah...flew fine, couple left clicks on aileron to trim out ...no elevator trim needed
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:58 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have a Thunder Power 2250 45c that I wanted to maiden it with. I did not install the under-wing tanks or missiles and the battery will slide all the way back with out removing any foam from the compartment. With that set-up my CG comes out at 65-70mm. It's my first EDF so I am not sure what to expect with the nose heavy configuration. I have 20-30 mph winds through the weekend so I will have to wait to maiden it. Plus I still need to figure out how I am going to secure the battery. Thinking I will try to wedge some foam around it to hold it in place.
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:32 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
One more question... how smooth is your EDF? I have a small area before half throttle where there is a lot of vibration and resonance, but above 50% and all the way to 100% throttle it seems pretty smooth.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:54 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
966 Posts
Mine balances at about 65mm (measured from the leading edge where the wing meets the fuse). It flies fine there but think it would fly better further back but it's hard to get at the battery if it's shoved that far back.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:06 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I can get it to balance at 88mm if I put in my Parkzone 1800 batt, but it is only rated for 15C

If it is flyable for you at 65mm then I will maiden it with my TP 2250 45C. My flying weight comes to 25.1oz.

How are you securing your battery?
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:22 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
966 Posts
Since I don't value this thing that highly I just went the slacker method of using velcro. I did add a plywood plate behind the canopy opening back in that hole to support the battery. I'm using Gensace 1550 3S and they fit tight enough that they don't move around too much.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:35 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
LOL

I do not value it that highly either... I only purchased it to get some flight time on EDFs before I fly my Art-Tech F14. I'm a sucker for the F14 airframe as it is my favorite and I picked it up when BH had their 15% off coupon code last month. Then after I bought it I decided to grab the 1400mm Zero and the F18 with the same coupon code. With 15% off the F18 cost me like $77

I invested in the Thunder Power 2250 45C batteries because they have a 2year warranty and I am able to fly my entire hanger with them.

PZ Wildcat, P51, Stinson, Albatros, BF109
FMS 182 Skytrainer, F18
and they should also work well in the Art-Tech F14

Of course I am going to have to invest in a 4s 3300 45C for the Zero once I build it...
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:45 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
What are you getting for flight times with the 1550?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Maiden didn't go so well... was out of trim to the right and I ended up heading straight for trees and power lines... so my instinct was to pull up as all my prop planes have plenty of thrust to go vertical long enough to clear trouble

But not the F18 before I new it I was 25 ft in the air in a vertical hover and before I could contemplate my next move it lost balance and fell over to the right and dove for the parking lot... busting the nose but miraculously landing on its wheels

It's a little shorter now with the compressed fuselage behind the nose cone... so maybe that will help shift my CG a little further back

Any chance someone has extra nose cones they would like to part with???
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:04 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,142 Posts
What color scheme do you have?

You have now learned the first thing about EDF's - unless you have 1:1 or better thrust-weight, speed is the lifeblood of flight. If you must do an extreme yank to avoid something, do a bank-and-yank to turn, or oblique turn-and-climb, you don't want to lose energy in a full climb. If you find yourself in a prolonged climb, complete as much of the loop to get your plane a somewhat horizontal path and pour on the throttle to regain speed. And if you are starting to stall, do not pull up. Nudge the nose slightly downward and let the plane pick up beyond stall airspeed.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Last edited by fredmdbud; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Blue Angels
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:12 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,142 Posts
If you don't mind a few scrapes that require a little touch-up paint, I have one that would fit (from an Art-Tech kit).

Where are you located
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:19 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,857 Posts
Sorry bout your loss aphro....
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:27 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Minneapolis...

Are you sure it will fit?

Yes... as soon as I crashed my thoughts went right to airspeed and the fact that the F18 isn't a power house with the stock set-up

The F18 was my 5th maiden of the day. New Beast 3D (replacement for defective), SBach, Micro Stryker and Skytrainer 182 were successfully maiden prior to the F18. All of which have plenty of thrust to gain altitude in a moments notice. I actually had a hell of thime getting the Skytrainer on the ground... she just wanted to float on forever The other factor was it was dead calm so roll out was much longer than anticipated which put me further across the parking lot in area with too many obstacles
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:37 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Plus I am also used to having yaw control (rudder) so when she started veering to the right I was imputing left rudder which of course only turned the front wheel So elevator input was the only thing that kept me front hitting the trees or powerlines head on... but I truly had a good laugh about it even before I reached the crash scene and was amazed that I escaped with minor damage. If I would have had a nose cone I would have threw it on right there and had another go at it It was a great learning experience... I actually wanted to maiden my umx MiG 15 before I maidened the F18, but my MiG arrived with a defective right aileron

It was a great learning experience though, under powered jet equals keep her horizontal as much as possible until you gain altitude and air speed