HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:29 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab View Post
Pics below.....You can see where the front LG bulkhead of foam was removed so the top 1/3 of the 4s2450 will fit in perfectly. I molded another foam part inside the airframe that holds the other side of lipo tight and still allows air-flow around it
Looks like a great set up. Thanks for posting pics.

What kind of flight times are you getting with the 2450 batt?
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:53 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
Looks like a great set up. Thanks for posting pics.

What kind of flight times are you getting with the 2450 batt?
I set my timer for 4 minutes and normally land before 5 are up. Maybe one last fast pass after the timer goes off and then back off and set up to bring it in. The resting voltage is always in the 3.6 to 3.7 range per cell and the batts do get warm but not what I would call hot. I only do about 30% of the flight at WOT.

Been practicing low inverted passes the last few weeks and this jet is solid. Set your expo at least -35 or -40 on all surfaces and you will love it. Tom
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:30 PM
Joined Mar 2010
447 Posts
My batts, ESC etc will be here tomorrow. Can't wait!!
Old Aug 06, 2011, 12:23 PM
Joined Mar 2010
447 Posts
Re-maidened the F-18 this morning. I did a shake down run on 3s, nice and slow, got it trimmed out and landed nicely. Then it was 4s time. WOW, what a difference! This thing actually has some speed now and sounds awesome on the flybys. Flew a bunch of packs and had a blast!

Justin
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Mar 2010
447 Posts
Here is a vid my brother took of my Airfield F-18 last Saturday morning.

Specs are stock 64mm fan static balanced at home, stock 4100kv motor, 60amp ESC, and 4s 2200 sky lipo.

Vid is best viewed via the youtube site(rc groups playback is choppy), expand to full screen, choose HD setting, and turn up the volume.

Enjoy! -Justin

F18 (EDF) on 4s lipo (3 min 53 sec)
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:27 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
Here is a vid my brother took of my Airfield F-18 last Saturday morning.
Rock solid on 4S right???!!! If you take that LG off and get rid of all that extra weight from it, I bet you'd hit 80!..LOL!

Very nice video and great balance job from the sound of your fan. I really don't know why this airframe is not more popular considering the price I think it was on sale a few weeks ago for $49...
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Mar 2010
447 Posts
Yeah dude 4s is the way to go. This thing is a blast to fly!
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:52 AM
Stick 'em up!
USA, CA, La Mirada
Joined Feb 2005
135 Posts
Just finished my F-18 build...

THanks to all the advice from this thread, I sanded down a piece of foam to fit inside the nose cone for rigidity, cut an access hatch fot the electronics, reinforced the battery tray with a piece of 1/32" plywood. AUW is 785 grams with Don's Wicked 4000kv motor mounted & dynamically balanced (by The Don, of course) & a Turnigy Plush 60 Amp ESC. On the wattmeter I'm pulling 43 Amps & 600 Watts continuous with a 4S 2200 30C Zippy Lipo. My battery sits waay back to get the CG at 65mm from the wing leading edge, so I cut a piece of foam to keep the batery in place. Can't wait to maiden this jet!

The line on the plywood shows how far the battery needs to be tucked in.

Ramon S.
kamoch is offline Find More Posts by kamoch
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Mar 2010
447 Posts
Looks real good. Let us know how the maiden goes.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:08 PM
So many planes, So little time
United States, OR, North Plains
Joined Jul 2010
228 Posts
Having a lot of fun with this plane!
running stock, with the GensAce 1550 3s battery
here's a video

Angels Air.wmv (2 min 29 sec)

More fun than a barrel of monkeys
and easy to fix after a crash
Xflyfun is offline Find More Posts by Xflyfun
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:55 PM
Stick 'em up!
USA, CA, La Mirada
Joined Feb 2005
135 Posts
Another successful maiden!

I finally got my chance yesterday to maiden my Hornet. After a range check I gave it about 3/4 throttle & had a very hard time keeping a good grip because of the thrust! I gave her a good toss & off she went. CG was mostly spot on at 65mm from the wing leading edge, i used 5 clicks of up trim go get her flying straight & level. Flight time was short as I expected, about 3 min. with a 4S 2200mAh 30C lipo. Vertical climbs were effortless & this plane held up under tight turns. I was thinking about reinforcing the wings with a carbon spar but there is no need to. I would like to try a larger battery, mabye 2450 or 2550 mAh, but the battery dimensions &'ve seen on the Hobbyking website makes me wonder if they would be too wide/tall to fit in the fuse. my 2200 lipos are about 34mm x35mm. What 4S batts are you all using for this plane? Overall, it is a great flying jet. (I have to give props to Don's RC for the dynamically balanced motor/fan combo. Thanks Don!)

Ramon S.
kamoch is offline Find More Posts by kamoch
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:28 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Ramon,
I am using Value Hobby 4s 40C 2650mAh lipos in mine. They fit just fine. I cut down the two bulkheads right there under the cockpit area, made sure to tape down all wires going back inside the rear fuselage, then slide the lipo all the way back down inside the rear fuselage. The whole lipo is inserted down in that back area and slides in and out with no problem. It leaves about 2 inches of free space from the front of the lipo to the remaining small foam bulkhead under the canopy. I cut a spongy piece of foam to stuff there in front of the lipo and it doesn't move. Very nice fit and install, just like it was made for it.
I'm running a Don's wicked plus 4000kv /EDO fan setup.
I'm playing with the CG right now. This plane is flying a bit funky compared to my last Airfield F=18 and my current Maxjet F=18E model. Both of those fly perfect, but this one is twitchy for some reason???
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:39 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Airfield F-18C Hornet 64mm EDF Jet (4 min 41 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:03 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
I'm playing with the CG right now. This plane is flying a bit funky compared to my last Airfield F=18 and my current Maxjet F=18E model. Both of those fly perfect, but this one is twitchy for some reason???
Ken
You're using 4S in your last F-18, too, right?
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Last edited by fredmdbud; Oct 10, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:19 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,919 Posts
My F/A-18 has lost its spine (temporarily)

Now I have ready access to arrange the electonics and place the 4S battery for desired CG.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud