USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,123 Posts
Yes, we already established that
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:38 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
I just bought the 64mm model since it was on sale. Does anybody here have any flight time on one of these. I just put mine together a few days ago and have yet to try (crash ) it. It is the first Rc plane that I have ever owned and looked fairly easy to fly from youtube vids. After getting things set up I'm terrified of flying it. I've been searching the web for a good simulator or anything thatwill get me ready to take my first flight.
gulfsurfer101 is offline Find More Posts by gulfsurfer101
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:13 PM
American Canyon, CA
Joined Sep 2004
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfsurfer101 View Post
I just bought the 64mm model since it was on sale. Does anybody here have any flight time on one of these. I just put mine together a few days ago and have yet to try (crash ) it. It is the first Rc plane that I have ever owned and looked fairly easy to fly from youtube vids. After getting things set up I'm terrified of flying it. I've been searching the web for a good simulator or anything thatwill get me ready to take my first flight.
I still have this jet all stock setup except for the lipo.

With the 1300mah stock lipo, flight time is around 4mins full throttle, with the turnigy 25c 2200 flight time is 5 - 5:30 full throttle.

This jet is easy to fly and land that is if you already have some flight experience.
Zeke0504 is offline Find More Posts by Zeke0504
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:46 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
I have zero flight time but get a basic concept. The throttle and rudder are really just throttle and taxi and the ailerons and elevators do not seem to confusing. I read that small adjustments are key. If I wanted to get in the air today should I just try to get it off the ground and fly at say 65-75% throttle till I develop better reaction skills then gradually pump it up.

Edit: I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I was going over the controls a little and I was wondering if taking the servo that is used for the front wheel and using that servo for a rudder. I would have to mod the rear tail flaps by cutting them, using some tiny hinges and installing another servo or find a way to run both rudders off one servo. Once again probably way ahead of myself before even making that first flight but would giving up taxi capability be worth the added rudder capability giving this jet a more stall trickster type plane. Kinda what I'm going for and tried to get the best out the box model I could think of. I basically want this thing to be a hovercraft on those windy days we get here so much in south texas.
Last edited by gulfsurfer101; Apr 20, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:38 PM
American Canyon, CA
Joined Sep 2004
385 Posts
I think you should fly it first before you do all the modifications you want to do on this jet.

If possible ask some help to somebody that have flight experience specially on the maiden flight (first flight). The maiden flight is where you adjust all your trims and it's not that easy.

I think taking off the ground is the way to go...

good luck!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Yeah I want to give it a go later on today and see how I'm able to do. I'm thinking of using this old abandoned runway where the navy would preform touch and goes. It'll give me lot's of open air space and a clear take off point. I'm charging my lipo now and should be ready in about 30-45mins.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:44 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
I had another quick question regarding this plane. Should I remove the landing gear the first few flights till I am better familiar with being able to land softly. That way I don't end up snapping something off if I need to land in the grass. I wasn't able to get to the feild today so I'll stick with trying to find a good online simulator and practice it a little more. I really want to get this thing in the sky I just don't want to kiss a hundred dollar toy gby on the first flight though.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:08 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,123 Posts
Try FMS. It's not the most accurate simulation, but it's free, and good enough to get a feel for the basic flight controls and ground-perspective piloting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275090

If what you have is the Max Jet F-18, the nose cone is molded from thin plastic and cracks easily. You'll want to reinforce it with tape from the inside, or just fly without it until you're proficient with belly-landings.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:05 PM
American Canyon, CA
Joined Sep 2004
385 Posts
Quote:
I had another quick question regarding this plane. Should I remove the landing gear the first few flights till I am better familiar with being able to land softly. That way I don't end up snapping something off if I need to land in the grass. I wasn't able to get to the feild today so I'll stick with trying to find a good online simulator and practice it a little more. I really want to get this thing in the sky I just don't want to kiss a hundred dollar toy gby on the first flight though.
For me, landing this plane (stock airfield f-18) is easy than taking off the ground.

Taking off the ground requires full throttle, then gently apply elevator up and some steering control for the direction of the jet.

Landing...just slowly reduce the throttle and apply a little elevator up...

Again, if you have some guys there with some experience with edf, ask their assistance specially the maiden flight. Like you said you dont want to kiss a hundred dollar toy bye bye on its first flight.

I'm not an expert, I'm just sharing what I've exprienced with this plane...
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:41 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
EDF, NOT a good plane to learn on. You should get something with dihedral in the wings, that helps self stabilize it. EDFs don't respond to power right away and if you don't have the right "touch": on the elevator your likely to mishandle it in a turn or it will get away from you quickly.
Getting the right airspeed is essential on landing. Not enough and you stall, too much and you keep going, going going, and overshoot the runway.
Good Luck
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 03, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Makes me wish i knew what I was doing when I bought this thing. If I'd have known I would have opted to start with a 50mm. I did manage to upload a demo of realflight g5 and have been practicing on that. I still can't stick my landings on there so should I even attempt to get my jet airborne if I don't even know ho to land it. I will check out that sim and see how it goes.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:03 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,123 Posts
Do a search on YouTube, here an example of what you can find:

MaxJet F/A 18 Blue Angel EDF (3 min 7 sec)

Banana Hobby mini F-18 (4 min 47 sec)

Your safest bet is to fly on a clear, calm day. Get up in the air and get it high enough so you have some recovery margin, fly steady circles with gentle inputs to get a feel of how the plane handles. Keep your throttle around 2/3 to 3/4 for battery power management, reserve full throttle for recoveries - the plane is not a speed demon (except maybe in a plummet!). Do a few practice descends and glides over your target landing area without actually touching down, and then land!
Last edited by fredmdbud; Apr 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:14 AM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Try FMS. It's not the most accurate simulation, but it's free, and good enough to get a feel for the basic flight controls and ground-perspective piloting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275090

If what you have is the Max Jet F-18, the nose cone is molded from thin plastic and cracks easily. You'll want to reinforce it with tape from the inside, or just fly without it until you're proficient with belly-landings.
It's an airfeild and the nose cone does feel pretty finnicky. I already glued it on there but If (when)I ever do have to repair it I will definately do just that.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:16 AM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Do a search on YouTube, here an example of what you can find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itj72mSx9Ns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY69VAc28rM

Your safest bet is to fly on a clear, calm day. Get up in the air and get it high enough so you have some recovery margin, fly steady circles with gentle inputs to get a feel of how the plane handles. Keep your throttle around 2/3 to 3/4 for battery power management, reserve full throttle for recoveries - the plane is not a speed demon (except maybe in a plummet!). Do a few practice descends and glides over your target landing area without actually touching down, and then land!
This all sounds like good and practical advice. This is what I need to hear. Thank you.