5,246 Posts
Nice find!
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:25 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Last sulfur battery I read about used molten sulfur. High capacity and life, but not very practical.
I noticed this is still a laboratory project after 7 years of development. Two different egg shell projects, Anode and Cathode. Now they are getting ready to combine the two. So, maybe another 5 to 7 years to develop a prctical battery from this research, then time to develop manufacturability, develop a manufacturing process and facility. Then revues to determine whether or not the battery will make enough profit in a short enough time to justify the companies time and money investment in bringing it to market. And even whether or not development will continue on the company buck if the DOE is forced through funding cutbacks to stop providing tax money.
I spent 28 years in R&D. I've spent yearrs developing products just to see them get cut off by some MBA who doesn't even understand the market. I've also spent years on a couple worthless products that got full backing by a bean counter right until we got stuck with inventory unsalable product. If you want to see what R&D is like, you can get a pretty accurate idea by reading Dilbert.
I am currently wondering what happened to a printable battery developed about 5 years ago by the Rensaellar Institute. Back then, they were estimating about another 8 years and several million dollars investment to get it ready for production.
Sorry if I sound like a wet blanket, but I've been reading about latest and greatest battery technologies since Pop Science predicted about 1949 or 1950 the we'd be using Nickle Cadmium batteries in our cars within 2 years. I've seen maybe 1 in 5 actually come to market.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:01 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,061 Posts
There seems to be no way of tracking all the past developments this thread is all we have to look at what has been done so far and for future reference.

It seems like the mods did not bother to make this a sticky. If this could be stickied then it will get more exposure so we can all use this thread as a basis for what has been done and what is to happen in future on battery technology.
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:54 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,061 Posts
http://phys.org/news/2013-01-toyota-...echnology.html
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:55 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,061 Posts
http://phys.org/news/2013-01-paves-l...thium-ion.html
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:17 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
http://gizmodo.com/5984066/new-lithi...st-ten-minutes
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:05 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,990 Posts
That last link, to Gizmodo, says these batteries could hit the market in 2-3 years. I respectfully call BS! COULD come to market providing they find financial backing. COULD come to market providing they pass regulations. COULD come to market providing the batteries don't ALSO have some major drawback not stated in the article that prevents them from being truly functional...

Its frustrating.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:37 AM
United States, VA, Louisa
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Graphene as a battery, but with improved manufacture process?

Was just trolling the internet while I wait on shipments from USPS and Hong Kong and I stumbled across someone talking about 'Graphene.'

http://www.upworthy.com/see-the-scie...-battery-l?g=2

Thought I'd share with this thread, although it looks like the idea has been around for awhile, the manufacture process is what caught my eye.

Going to go take all my old number 2's and start drawing lines on paper now, be back later!
Suzukistreet is offline Find More Posts by Suzukistreet
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:16 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
That last link, to Gizmodo, says these batteries could hit the market in 2-3 years. I respectfully call BS! COULD come to market providing they find financial backing. COULD come to market providing they pass regulations. COULD come to market providing the batteries don't ALSO have some major drawback not stated in the article that prevents them from being truly functional...

Its frustrating.
And you rightfully so call BS, i do too, who does everyone think create the regulations, more importantly, who is influencing their decisions. have anyone noticed when they bring out a new electric vehicle, it's like they went out of their way to make them ugly (except tesla and maybe the Joule and the volt too) It's like in genera; the industry does not want electrics to take off, of course we all know why that is...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:18 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,061 Posts
http://phys.org/news/2013-03-revolut...ry-closer.html
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:18 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,061 Posts
http://phys.org/news/2013-03-phinerg...e-fueling.html
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:59 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
I seem to recall reading about an Aluminum/Air battery about 20 years ago in Electronic Engineering Times. I think the battery they were showing in the article was going to be good for 3 years or so, and was supposed to be easily replaced and the used one recycled to keep cost down.
On a program on History Channel, they went into production of Aluminum, and claimed the cost pf producing aluminum from recycled metal was less than a third of refining it from Bauxite.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 07:21 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
I seem to recall reading about an Aluminum/Air battery about 20 years ago in Electronic Engineering Times. I think the battery they were showing in the article was going to be good for 3 years or so, and was supposed to be easily replaced and the used one recycled to keep cost down.
On a program on History Channel, they went into production of Aluminum, and claimed the cost pf producing aluminum from recycled metal was less than a third of refining it from Bauxite.
I doubt any reasonable size metal-air battery can manage significant current output, there is not enough oxygen in the atmosphere, maybe of you forced air through very fine channels you could get enough to run the fans needed to make the electricity . The Zn air ones used in hearing aids manage a couple of mA tops.

The result of using up such a battery would be Al Oxide (essentially what is in bauxite) so recycling them would require reducing the Al again, so electricity requirement is the same (not to mention the heating requirements since you cannot electrolyse a solid). There would be less purification required though.
desertstalker is online now Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Apr 01, 2013, 11:10 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
If I recall the program, when starting with Bauxite, there are several steps from crushing, treatment with acids, and a flotation proces, and two different melting steps. With recycled Aluminum, there is only a single melting process.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 07:01 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
If I recall the program, when starting with Bauxite, there are several steps from crushing, treatment with acids, and a flotation proces, and two different melting steps. With recycled Aluminum, there is only a single melting process.
Correct, but by far the most energy intensive process is the reduction of Al2O3 into metallic Al (which is done in by electrolysis of a solution in cryolite, Na3AlF6, at ~1000C). There is a reason they call Al "canned electricity".
desertstalker is online now Find More Posts by desertstalker