Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:52 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
First off no battery technology has ever been developed for RC. We are the bottom of the food chain.

Charles
How true, look at the popularity of A123 cells and yet nearly everyone who's using them is still doing their shopping at the local hardware store!
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:54 AM
Genaro SolÚ
Caracas, Venezuela
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
The Day

Excellent discussion. I prepared a summary of new battery technologies for the University, cause I dream the day when they will be available for RC. I'll keep following this discussion ... and praying ...
Genaro SolÚ is offline Find More Posts by Genaro SolÚ
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:26 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
First off no battery technology has ever been developed for RC. We are the bottom of the food chain.

Charles
As far as manufacturers are concerned I doubt we are even part of the food chain. What most people dont understand about the battery industry is that even mainstream retail applications are not the focus of development. Military and hospital applications are usually the focus, and they get first run top grade cells. Everything retail is 2nd tier quality. I enjoy reading some of these from a purely technical point of view. But from the point of view of being an RC enthusiast and seeing whats coming down the line, it just isnt practical. It is pretty amusing though how many of these pop up on a regular basis.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:29 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,271 Posts
Nanoscoops

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1366768
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:52 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Don't forget about the new 2Li-Ub cells (Dilithium-unobtanium) Non rechargeable, but with their 7.3 Tera-watt hour capacity, who cares?

Just don't short them out or incorrectly charge them. I've heard the reasults can be downright nuclear!
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Last edited by Fly Wheel; Jan 06, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:08 PM
Genaro SolÚ
Caracas, Venezuela
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Don't forget about the new 2Li-Ub cells (Dilithium-unobtanium) Non rechargeable, but with their 7.3 Tera-watt hour capacity, who cares?

Just don't short them out or incorrectly charge them. I've heard the reasults can be downright nuclear!
Toooooo much Pandora Cannabis tea...
Genaro SolÚ is offline Find More Posts by Genaro SolÚ
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:35 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
That reference to the Rensellaer battery development is apparently the same one I mentioned in post #27. Apparently still under development, if any mfger wants to spend the money.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:52 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,995 Posts
I also did a report in college last year on batteries used in transportation. I know many technologies are being devoloped, but its strange how there is a press release on what new breakthrough has been acheived, but then years later still no news on it. I believe SOME new tech will be released to the public in the coming years that is a huge advancement over todays lipolys, but there is no real way to know what that might be. ANY battery breakthrough can be analyzed for it's potential to be actually manufactored by a couple factors. Safety (first in my list for obvious reasons) Costs (manufactoring costs, disposal costs, environmental costs, etc) Raw material availability, Application possibilities.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:51 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,271 Posts
The next generation of LiPo's?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388682
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:32 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
There have been a lot of potential battery technologies developed over the years. Some worked out, some fell by the wayside.
Long life wanted? Apparently, Thomas Edison developed a Nickle-Iron battery somewhere around the turn of the last century. According to a 1970s Popular Science article, railroads were still using 60 and 70 year old Edison batteries for signal flashers and crossing gates in remote locations. Problems? Weight and bulk. They had a low energy density.
Safety considerations? I remember reading in the early 1980s a couple battery technologies that promised very high energy density. But who wants to sit on a box of molten Sodium or Sulfur. Who wants to be in an electric car with either of those in case of a collision or roll-over.
Non polluting? I remember in my old single channel days, buying Mercury batteries for high capacity and long self life compared to regular Carbon-Zinc primary cells. Can you even find Mercury batteries any more?
Convenience? There was a battery configuration that promised high safety, good energy density, almost nothing in the way of toxic material. In fact, the batteries were recyclable. Great driving range per charge. However, for after about 15-20000 miles, a user had to have several hundred pound of aluminum compound replaced with fresh aluminum plates.
Reliability? I remember the big press NiCad got in the early 50s as a replacement for the Lead-Acid battery. First real exposure I got to NiCad was in the AF. We were using them on ground power equipment in North Africa. That was before the term "memory" became popular. I think it was fortunate we never put them in the base F-100s or the transient F-105s. At least, that I know of.
I do like reading about new technologies under development. But as for my evaluation of how great they are, I'll wait untill they go into production and see if I can afford to make a purchase for my own use.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:04 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,271 Posts
Apple new improved charging technique!?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393979

lithium metal polymer: 5 min charge 600km drive !!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393982
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:46 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Not a whole lot of actual info in either of those two links, but the Apple thing looks like they are filing a method for something similar to a pulse, or step charge that's been around a while, I used to use something similar to recover dead lead-acid gell cells years ago. Also sounds somewhat similar to the old cell-zapping that was used for a while to recharge underperforming NiCads. Might be wrong, but I didn't see a whole lot of technical info there.

And as far as the Audi, let's see, estimated 300 Wh/Kg for this battery technology? 100 KWh battery? roughly 333 Kg, or 732 pound battery. As far as charge? How much charge did they actually put into the battery? Was it a dead battery that was brought back to the 100 KWh capacity in 6 minutes, was it at 75% capacity, 90%? I'm thinking the inrush current would have turned the charging leads into some pretty powerfull electromagnets. Probably enough current to vaporize #12 house wire Kind of hard to calculate the current draw, without knowing the battery Voltage. Quite probably beyond the capacity of your standard 115 V American, or 220 V European house outlet.

And of course, the battery maker's disclaimer that they are about ready to go into production.

Apparently a special built one-of battery to try to get investment to pay for putting it into production, after lining up customers.

I'll wait for this technology to get into production, and see if it comes out in anything of a useful size for us before I think about getting excited.