Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 08, 2010, 01:40 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,213 Posts
Well, some companys deliver actually what they promise.
All the better.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:32 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Hi!
I think it would be fun to collect all the threads about the wonderful new batterys we are frequently promised.

NiZn
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1152061
I've been using NiZn batteries for some time now and they definitely deliver what is promised. Rechargeable like NiMh but advantages of high voltage of alkaline and low self discharge of lipo. They've resulted in major range increase in my TXs and IR remotes plus double life in my Minolta camera.

Surprisingly most ignore these benefits but IMO biggest innovation since lipos.

Giggidy.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Feb 09, 2010, 06:43 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,213 Posts
I agree, NiZn looks very nice.
Maybe I'll try them for RC when my chargers have learned to deal with them.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:44 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,213 Posts
"New charging method could greatly reduce battery recharge time."
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210277
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:06 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
This should be a sticky.

If the promise of solar cells from 30yrs ago came true we would not be using batteries in our planes or our cars.

Senile and cynical are 2 totally different things.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Apr 08, 2010, 06:11 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,213 Posts
Lithium Air Battery:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224993
Old Apr 08, 2010, 06:35 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,056 Posts
If I wait for the next Silver Bullet in RC batteries.

I will be old, senile & cynical.

Hell. I have EARNED those rights.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old May 06, 2010, 08:07 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,213 Posts
EV batterys recharge 50% in 3 minutes

http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradv...3-minutes.html
Old May 06, 2010, 10:54 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
If the promise of solar cells from 30yrs ago came true we would not be using batteries in our planes or our cars.
Not true. Even if cells were 100% efficient there would not be anywhere near enough energy to satisfy most power hungry hobbyists. I am happy with my solar experiments but 3D was never high on my list.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:54 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,213 Posts
Nanotube Electrodes Boost Power in Lithium Batteries, Study Says
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264592
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:57 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Well hobbyking seems to be listing 35-75 or 90c nano teck batteries as of today. There is a chance life cycles will be tremendous at reasonable usage Cs. We will see.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:52 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,098 Posts
There have been so many new battery technologies that just haven't worked out, I don't even bother reading the articles that promise"huge improvements just around the corner!"

I first read about NiCad being "The Auto battery of the future!" while in grade school about 1951 or 52. Never became practical. They were being introduced into our ground power equipment to replace lead-acid when I got my first PCS assignment in 1965. By the time I got out of the AF in 1968, couldn't find a NiCad in any of our equipment. But, they have many uses even today.

I've heard of a couple battery technologies that promised (and may have even delivered) huge amounts of power. But, who wants to try using a battery that relies on molten Sulfur or molten Sodium?

Auto companies a few years ago were looking into a remarkable rechargeable battery that used replaceable aluminum plates. Plates at the time needed to be replaced for recycling every couple years. Probably would never be small enough for our purposes.

And in 2008, the Rennsaeler Institute labs were demonstrating a rechargable battery for which the active materials could be printed on (ordinary?) paper. Light weight, cheap, rechargable, 2 or 3 times the energy density of Li(xx) batteries. Only problem at the time, they were estimating needing a minimum of US$10,000,000 and at least another 6 to 10 years to bring to market. I don't know how they're coming, when I got retired last year, I lost the free subscriptions to most technical mags, I can't afford $300- $1200/ yr subscriptions anymore.

There's a lot of development going on in the battery world. Some of it will in time flow down to us. Some will never be small or safe enough for us. And some of the technologies being investigated will never make it into general use for things like exceptionally high production costs for the results, material toxicity, or even not living up to promise.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:20 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2003
414 Posts
50+AirYears, that is a strange attitude....and I do not know what your point is.
ozvena is offline Find More Posts by ozvena
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:55 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,098 Posts
My point is basically, don't always expect something that is touted as "The Latest and Greatest" in a press release to be immediately available, or even useable for our needs, untill it is actually on the market. Some of these claims are like the Rensaeler Institute press lease I referred to. Makes the LiPo look like an overweight brick with low capacity, just around the corner, if you read one of the blurbs I did, but when you get behind the headlines, it might still be years and millions of dollars away from practicality for our uses. Like with the claims made for nuclear fusion back in the late 50s and early 60s. For which I'm still waiting.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Aug 07, 2010, 02:56 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,213 Posts
DuPont Introduces New Separators for Li-ion Batteries
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1285941