HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2001, 11:44 PM
Thumbs a blur
Allen,Texas USA
Joined Dec 2000
126 Posts
Inverted flight is hard when battery is hanging from plane by esc.

FLying Zagi along inverted and went to bring it over topside and out pops battery. hanging freely by ESC kind of wagging back and forth at me. I still have throttle and controls so I turn it towards me. I tried to flip it over but that didnt work.brought it down in a somewhat contolled upside down landing . When I got to plane battery was still attached. Put it back in its home and flew some more. I think my ESC is longer now anyone else accidently try this?
Augeredin is offline Find More Posts by Augeredin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2001, 02:26 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
No, but I had a Rx battery get ejected from a glider I was doing aero tow with. It was a case of crack the whip because the glider pilot turned inside of the tow plane's line. The end result wasn't pretty.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2001, 04:52 AM
Ghent, Belgium
Joined May 2000
295 Posts
Hmmm, is this some new method for in-flight battery cooling ?

Glad you were able to land safely...

BTW this remembers me of the Twinstar review article:
http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/199...r/twinstar.htm

(search for 'inverted')

Fasten battery seat belts and enjoy your flight
Danny
Danny Van Hoecke is offline Find More Posts by Danny Van Hoecke
Old Jun 21, 2001, 04:56 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,809 Posts
I had a midair and the nose of my twinstar was knocked off. I had run a strip of packing tape along the fuselage bottom for landing protection so the nose was hanging by that. The battery pack ejected and was left hanging by the ESC wires. I still had power and control so I was able to fly it to the runway and make a controlled landing. A bit of 5 minute epoxy and I was flying again. Coolest midair I ever had. Dave C.
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Old Jun 21, 2001, 08:39 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,317 Posts
I was doing outside loops with my Zagi one day and after several, it looked like the pilot bailed out but his chute didn't open. The plane continued to flutter to the ground like a leaf, undamaged. Found the esc and battery and flew again.

You were fortunate to land, sometimes the battery dangling puts the model so out of balance it causes one of those "sudden stops".

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jun 21, 2001, 10:23 AM
jak
Taipei Taiwan
Joined Feb 2000
117 Posts
I wish my battery had stayed connected. Ejected my Battery Pack from my T52 200 feet up. Should have watched where the battery hit (THUD). Never found that battery. Plane floated around in circles and landed in the 3 foot grass.
jak is offline Find More Posts by jak
Old Jun 21, 2001, 10:44 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,124 Posts
I was flying my Lil Hornet one day and noticed something dropping from the plane while inverted at about 40 feet. Sure enough, it was the battery and the canopy (didn't press down hard enough on the velcro). Fortunately, the ailerons were neutral at the time of the "ejection," so the Hornet just did a few gentle inverted stalls and settled in for a perfect inverted landing on the grass -- no damage whatsoever! Sometimes we get lucky.

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jun 21, 2001, 10:52 AM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
my first flight on my Lite Stik F, I didn't glue the battery door in well enough. So, about 10 feet off the ground,the battery falls out. the plane just stalled, and then drifted to the ground, no damage. But I had the motor/gb/prop pull itself off, OVER A POND!! that was a scary experience. The plane was so out of balance, it took almost full down elevator to keep the nose level. But I did land it safely, and apon subsequent investigation, found that the motor/gb/prop had landed only inches from the water on the shore of the pond. I guess i'm just lucky
PunkerTFC is offline Find More Posts by PunkerTFC