SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2010, 12:00 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Aaron, Nate, and I are planning on flying @ Barnes @ 10 tomorrow.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Alula owners: I just came across an Alula model for Realflight 4.5. Sweet!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Sweet. I would have purchased a 4.5 at the swap meet, but I spent every last penny.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
FYI, Jeff and I are flying @ Barnes today @ 5:30.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:03 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Barnes @ 5:30 again today. Should have at least a 4-plane swarm.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:42 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator View Post
Alula owners: I just came across an Alula model for Realflight 4.5. Sweet!
Cool! I didn't know you could download models?! I also found the "Passive" model to download. Thats one I plan on building real soon to pair up with my goPro camera.

How realistic do you think these downloaded models fly? Sorry to clutter this thread with non flying alerts....I'm kind of confused with this thread and the weber/davis county thread.

Is this thread just for flying alerts? Or is it just to exclude Jeremy?
natetanr is offline Find More Posts by natetanr
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:37 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Great combat today, guys. Four-plane swarm, as predicted. And perfect flying weather, as predicted. Tons of hits, and plenty of them were loud and violent. Nate and Aaron stuck together on two separate hits. Had a three-plane hit, too. I'd call it epic combat. But that's just me.

Jeff, here's a link to the motor that Ryan sells: http://www.planeinsanerc.com/index.php?PageID=12

It's the 1700kv motor, which will fly a smaller prop, which will require a smaller cutout on the back to clear the prop. I have the 1400kv on mine, with a 9-inch prop, but I've thought about trying the 1700.

Aaron, how did you like how the 1700kv motor performed today?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:01 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator View Post
Great combat today, guys. Four-plane swarm, as predicted. And perfect flying weather, as predicted. Tons of hits, and plenty of them were loud and violent. Nate and Aaron stuck together on two separate hits. Had a three-plane hit, too. I'd call it epic combat. But that's just me.

Jeff, here's a link to the motor that Ryan sells: http://www.planeinsanerc.com/index.php?PageID=12

It's the 1700kv motor, which will fly a smaller prop, which will require a smaller cutout on the back to clear the prop. I have the 1400kv on mine, with a 9-inch prop, but I've thought about trying the 1700.

Aaron, how did you like how the 1700kv motor performed today?
Yes great combat today...Especially with the flat flat light. To clarify, our PLANES stuck together, not Nate and I stuck together. That would be gross.

The motor was great. I checked it with the cheap HK amp meter and it was over 50 amps with the 8X6. I ended up putting the end point to 50% to get it to 30 Amps since I didnt want to waste any time changing props with all the good combat going on. I think that may be why everyone is burning up these motors. I mean, I dont know how accurate the tester is, but my ESC was pretty warm even after I turned the ESC. I also have an 8X5 in the box that I will try next time. Or maybe even try a 7X6 or something next time too. It was pretty quick though, and had lots of thrust though.

After everyone left, Marc wanted to try out his new T28. He wanted me close by incase he needed help...but I wasnt needed. He flew it awesome...twice....the entire flight from take off to landing....GREAT JOB Marc!!!
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:03 PM
High to fly & no wing to fling
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined May 2009
235 Posts
Thanks for the fun times tonight with the combat swarm guys!

Thanks for the link, Cliff!
DukeStarHopper is offline Find More Posts by DukeStarHopper
Old Mar 18, 2010, 04:32 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Aaron is that the one I rewound for you? That's a lot of amps
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Mar 18, 2010, 04:42 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,044 Posts
PS. If you are really pulling 50 amps WOT, 1/2 throttle is still 50 amps. Its complicated but the ESC will cook if its not rated for highest possible amp draw of motor battery prop combo.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Mar 18, 2010, 04:59 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Kudos to Jim for the heads up about one of my night flying pictures being mentioned on this week's All Things That Fly podcast. It's at 27 minutes into the podcast for anyone interested in listening to it. The photo he's referring to is the one I call "Gingerbread Man."

Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:06 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
This might be kinda cool. A night flying Vapor, sold BNF with pre-installed lights. Also, they say it's more modular than the first Vapor, so it's easier to fix stuff that breaks. Sounds like a win-win.
Last edited by Darth_Elevator; Mar 18, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 06:14 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Aaron is that the one I rewound for you? That's a lot of amps
No, it's a new one. I dont know what is happening with the one you rewound. I didnt have the amp meter with me last week when I tried that one. It ran for about 2 minutes and stopped. The it would run again for a few seconds and stop. Sometimes it would seem like if I moved wires, it would go again, but not sure if that was actual or not. I am guessing that it was pulling amps too. I guess I need to drop more size or pitch on the prop. I dont have one of those expensive "watts up" machines, just one of these, so I am not sure how accurate it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
PS. If you are really pulling 50 amps WOT, 1/2 throttle is still 50 amps. Its complicated but the ESC will cook if its not rated for highest possible amp draw of motor battery prop combo.
That would explain why the ESC was still hot afterwards.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Last edited by Rockin G; Mar 18, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,983 Posts
When you run at half throttle the current is still 50 amps, but the circuit is open half the time. The average current read by our wattmeters may show 25 amps, but the components are all seeing 50 amps half of the time.
jwjohnson is online now Find More Posts by jwjohnson