HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:38 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbaccah View Post
Okay, so I'm pretty sure Santa is bringing me a combat wing this Christmas....whether or not I have been good. So, what do you guys recommend? I have looked at www.crashtesthobby.com and www.eppcombat.com. Does anyone have any comments or preferences on their wings? FYI, if your recommendation is based on the fact that you will be able to knock me out of the sky easier if I get plane "X" that is fine, just disclose it in your recommendation(s). They all look pretty similar to me.
I hadn't heard of eppcombat.com before, but that looks like the work of NateTanner, the other site is Lee down in UT county. They are both purveyors of quality wings. Lee has a strong following amongst the combat flyers down south. His new wings don't require winglets, which is one less thing to worry about losing in the foray. I have flown some of Nate T.'s wings and they are good as well. Both are worthy of getting schmacked out of the air
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:39 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Yeah...those are Nate T's wings. I too have flown a couple of his. I personally like the winglets, but I like them for orientation with my old eyes. The one that knoxked Charles' plane down was one of Nates wings. Chuck Norris was one of Carlyles cuts. I dont know if he is still doing them or not though.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:25 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
Ditto on what Aaron said. Chuck Norris is a sweet plane. IMHO, the 48-inch wings with a deep sweep and wingtips are the perfect combat plane. Better stall recovery after a hit and less stalling in slow turns than the wings with less sweep. The big planes can fly slow but they can also fly fast; the smaller wings usually don't slow down as well due to higher wing loading unless you go out of your way to really build light. Also, the bigger plane is easier to see (and thus keep track of orientation) when it's flying farther out. It's easier for newbies to fly, so if you ever buddy box with family or friends, they'll most likely do better on a bigger wing. And most of us Davis county flyers (and, as you saw, most of the Civil War flyers) fly the bigger wings, so your plane is going to fly similarly to most of the other planes in the swarm if you get a bigger wing.

NateT, Carlyle, and NateS have all cut the deeper sweep 48-inch wings. Between those three, I'll bet you'd probably be able to get one before Christmas. If not, you could try a Unicorn (more expensive and you'd have to pay shipping). I'm not sure if any of Lee's 48-inch Assassins have the deeper sweep, but it would worth checking into if you can't find anyone with a wing here in Davis County.

All this being said, however, if you're likely to be combating with Charles a lot more than those of us with 48-inchers, you might want to go with a 36-inch wing. You'll have less depth perception problems when lining up two identical sized planes for a hit than with different sized planes.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:39 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Is anyone doing anything today, weather permitting? It has been a month, I need me some air time.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:51 AM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Aaron come down to Art Dye if the weather clears. Last week was just like a mini-UnCivilWar here. Always good to see you around, and bring some more Yanks with ya. I keep looking for an opening in my schedule so I can come up your way sometime.

Do they shoot Rebs up there?
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:33 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Killer View Post
Do they shoot Rebs up there?
Not any more. They just made it illegal on this last election they had.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hey, Watch this....
United States, UT, Alpine
Joined Mar 2010
429 Posts
I am flying at Barnes park at 11:00 today if anyone wants to join.

Weather Permitting of course.
charlesconklin is offline Find More Posts by charlesconklin
Last edited by charlesconklin; Dec 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:37 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,945 Posts
I'll try to swing by with my DLG for a while, about 11:30. Hope the sun is out!
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:39 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
I think I am going to go down to Art Dye.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:49 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
FYI, last Thursday Jim was nominated and voted in as Vice President of South Davis Modelers.

Congrats Jim! And I hope the coming year treats you well.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:00 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,867 Posts
How was the coupon cutting party for the Yanks????
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:31 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
FYI, last Thursday Jim was nominated and voted in as Vice President of South Davis Modelers.

Congrats Jim! And I hope the coming year treats you well.
Thanks Phil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Silly Reb, no coupons cut up here. Mike and I flew DLG's for a few minutes. Will and Charles flew wings, while Marc flew the Radian. I couldn't stay long though, but there was some great lift at Barnes.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Jon, sorry it completely slipped my mind. We had these coupons made up for all the Yanks. It's good for reading any of Your posts.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:51 PM
JET-I
Kaysville, Ut
Joined Nov 2008
360 Posts
All yea, take that rebel scum...
Tetro is offline Find More Posts by Tetro
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:11 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,797 Posts
Man, I'm sorry I missed all the fun at Barnes today. I had a daughter with a dance recital I had to attend. It was right there next to the park, which only added to the torture.
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah