SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:53 AM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
What time are you guys planning on flying?
natetanr is offline Find More Posts by natetanr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:22 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
I will post here just before I leave.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:28 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Nate and I are meeting @ Barnes this morning @ 11 am and maybe earlier than that if Nate finishes up a project he's working on. If anyone wants to fly earlier, give me a call.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:21 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
I am leaving for SDM now. Have to stop for gas, so it will be 30 minutes before I arrive at the field.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:36 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Good combat at Barnes yesterday, even if it did get windier and colder as time passed. Both Nates made it, as well as Will and Marc. NateS and I had 9 hits in a row without either of us hitting the ground. Sweet! That's a new Davis County record, breaking my old record of 7 hits in a single flight. We each put in a fresh battery and got 9 more hits, but with about 5 crashes along the way. After that, Marc and I had a good solid hit, but I couldn't manage to hit Will's vector thrust wing.

Here's a video of Will's wing. Glad to have finally got a chance to see it in person. It can pull off some really cool moves, of which I only caught a few on tape.

Will's vectored thrust combat wing (1 min 57 sec)
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:36 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
I tried a mid mount motor on my 48" a while back. Definitely flies different. Does he just have the elvons extended all the way to the mid so they are in the prop wash?

I had some good fun flying my TopSky DLG. Tossed and flew it until the battery ran out while waiting for Cliff and NateS to show up. When are we going to do some dlg competitions?

I crashed my beast real bad! I was flying low and slow and going for a little touch and go when all of a sudden the plane split in two. I couldnt believe it and didnt understand what happened until I looked closer and saw a tall surveyers stake sticking out of the ground.

I have video of it but I havent watched it. I'll post a little later. Time for a new Aerial Platform.
natetanr is offline Find More Posts by natetanr
Old Feb 21, 2010, 03:20 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natetanr View Post
Does he just have the elvons extended all the way to the mid so they are in the prop wash?
Yes
Old Feb 21, 2010, 03:59 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Nate,

I'd love to do some DLG stuff sometime. Lets toss em up this Saturday or next.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Feb 21, 2010, 08:54 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Indoor RC demo for cub scouts: March 25

My friend asked me to do an indoor RC demonstration for his cub scouts on Thursday, March 25 @ 7 pm in Fruit Heights. The first part of the activity will be a rocket derby and then the RC demo will be after that. There will probably as much as half an hour of time for the demo, so if you have any suggestions of some cool things to make this memorable, please chime in.

In addition to some individual plane demonstrations, I was thinking it would be cool to put together a big Vapor swarm. Let me know if you want to join in on the fun. I was also planning on letting the kids take turns flying my Vapor with the buddy box. Last summer when Aaron and Jim and I did a combat demo for a different group of scouts, I let each kid have a one-minute turn on the buddy box and that seemed to be the part they liked best. I have a spare tx one of you guys could buddy with, if one of you is willing to risk your Vapor to the cause. Depending on how big the gym is, we might even be able to comfortably buddy box three Vapors at the same time, which would give more kids a chance to try.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:06 PM
JET-I
Kaysville, Ut
Joined Nov 2008
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator View Post
Good combat at Barnes yesterday, even if it did get windier and colder as time passed. Both Nates made it, as well as Will and Marc. NateS and I had 9 hits in a row without either of us hitting the ground. Sweet! That's a new Davis County record, breaking my old record of 7 hits in a single flight. We each put in a fresh battery and got 9 more hits, but with about 5 crashes along the way. After that, Marc and I had a good solid hit, but I couldn't manage to hit Will's vector thrust wing.

Here's a video of Will's wing. Glad to have finally got a chance to see it in person. It can pull off some really cool moves, of which I only caught a few on tape.

http://www.vimeo.com/9614154
Cliff, Wasn't you and I that had that hit before my Battery died and I harriered in for landing? It could have been Marc and I but I thought he gave up after his 3rd prop break. We must have gotten a bad lot, we were breaking props left and right. Thanks Cliff for recording that bit of video. Sorry it didnt perform as well as I had mentions before. I am guessing the wind had something to do with that.
Tetro is offline Find More Posts by Tetro
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:55 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:

My friend asked me to do an indoor RC demonstration for his cub scouts on Thursday, March 25 @ 7 pm in Fruit Heights. The first part of the activity will be a rocket derby and then the RC demo will be after that. There will probably as much as half an hour of time for the demo, so if you have any suggestions of some cool things to make this memorable, please chime in.

In addition to some individual plane demonstrations, I was thinking it would be cool to put together a big Vapor swarm. Let me know if you want to join in on the fun. I was also planning on letting the kids take turns flying my Vapor with the buddy box. Last summer when Aaron and Jim and I did a combat demo for a different group of scouts, I let each kid have a one-minute turn on the buddy box and that seemed to be the part they liked best. I have a spare tx one of you guys could buddy with, if one of you is willing to risk your Vapor to the cause. Depending on how big the gym is, we might even be able to comfortably buddy box three Vapors at the same time, which would give more kids a chance to try.
I might be able to make it, and I can bring my laptop so they can fly the sim while waiting for a turn on the BB.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:56 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Will, yes I think the hit was me and you. I was confused because my brain was still cold from those chilly winds.

The sim is a great idea, Jim. I hope you can make it. I wonder if the 4-site will be out by then. Even though I was initially not going to get it because it's not brushless, I am willing to reconsider if the stock setup will have enough thrust to hover here at our altitudes. Have you heard anything about when it will be in stock or whether anyone has test flown it at 4400 feet ASL?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:33 PM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:

I'm in if you want to loan me a vapor. I can buddy my dx7
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Feb 22, 2010, 04:27 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Of course you can use my Vapor. If you need to borrow it before then to get some practice flying it, let me know.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:00 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
I should be a able to help too, just need something to buddy with my dx7
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G