HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2010, 08:04 PM
200 mph club
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
Question
Do I really need a $1000~ molded DLG to launch 200+ feet?

Yes I know the typical answer ‘it depends on who is throwing it’. Let’s say I give Joe Average a Stroble V3, Taboo GT, Blaster 2, Steigeisen, Topsky etc. will he notice a dramatic launch height difference?
New to DLG just trying to figure this out. I would be willing to spend a ‘grand’ if I thought it would get me from 150 to 200 feet.

Thanks for any input!
r/cmark is offline Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2010, 08:25 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,654 Posts
No but it helps even with moldie. I still can't throw 200' when I want but 180' is not bad. The Stobel-V2 gave me 20' to 30' better than Vandal and all around performance is better in my opinion. The Blaster-2 is a moldie but does not throw as high as top end moldie but flies great. The Blaster-3 will be better can't wait to try. Will you be at southwest you can see for your self. They are all fun.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Feb 03, 2010, 08:34 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,298 Posts
Here's some totally non-scientific input from another newbie. I've been flying DLG since early december, and had only thrown a dozen time before that. I currently fly a XP-Mutt and have not yet thrown with an altimeter.

With my XP, I'm throwing better than average, for the time I've been into it, or so the guys I fly with tell me. I've gotten to throw a few Blaster II's since I've developed my launch, and they seem to launch so much better. Same height with so much less effort than the XP. Just last week, I got to throw a Stobel v2 two or three times.

My first comment was "Man! How light is that thing?!?!" because, compared to the Blaster 2 I threw just a minute before, it felt incredibly light on my finger-tips. The owner swears it weights about the same as the blaster. The Stobel just cut right through the air and seemed to be another order of magnitude easier to throw than the blaster, as compared to the XP.

If I had a $1000+ burning a hole in my pocket, I know where it would go. A brand new "upgraded" Blaster II (Blaster III?) or a few, top of the line equipment for it(them), and maybe a new radio.

Right now, I have no need for a Stobel.

The #1 thing I've learned is that launch height is only one part of the equation, and it's on the light half of it. Taking the time to learn to trim and fly properly is WAY more important than gaining ten feet of launch. Heck, sometimes I LOSE ten feet in one poorly executed turn!

I'd gladly trade 20-30 feet of launch height for some better flying skills.

With all that said, there is good reason that the Stobel v2 and v3 have such a buzz about them.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:12 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
The Blaster-3 will be better can't wait to try. Will you be at southwest you can see for your self. They are all fun.
Blaster-3? Any more information George?

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:29 PM
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Jul 2005
730 Posts
First of all, don't let George B.S. you into thinking he's only throwing 180 feet!

Secondly, there are plenty of people out there throwing airplanes with bagged wings into the 200 foot range.

Last, but not least, the comment "I'd gladly trade 20-30 feet of launch height for some better flying skills." really says it all as far as I'm concerned. You can build those flying skills with something costing significantly less than $1000. Improve your flying skills and wind reading skills and your launch won't matter quite so much anymore.

Just my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Gary
gjensen is online now Find More Posts by gjensen
Last edited by gjensen; Feb 03, 2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:05 PM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,197 Posts
I have a Blaster 2 and at my first DLG contest I was launching higher than the top guys with Salpeters. Obviously that made me very happy. It also shows that it isn't a night and day difference between the very best and the other good quality DLG's.

Go Great!

Ken.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Feb 04, 2010, 01:04 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboyken View Post
I have a Blaster 2 and at my first DLG contest I was launching higher than the top guys with Salpeters. Obviously that made me very happy. It also shows that it isn't a night and day difference between the very best and the other good quality DLG's.

Go Great!

Ken.
I have never thrown a Sal-Peter. I have hundreds of throws on Blaster2's and from the first throw with a Stobel-v2 I was throwing at least 20 feet higher than I can throw my Blaster2's.
Sounds like you don't need an expensive moldy and watch out if you ever get your hands on one!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Feb 04, 2010, 07:06 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,406 Posts
There's plenty of guys I know that launch 130-140' routinely and can still nearly max out a 5 minute window. I'm not a spectacular launcher, and hardly a great pilot either, but I know for sure that air reading skills will win a contest any day over max launch height.
Wave Glider is online now Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Feb 04, 2010, 07:38 AM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
There's plenty of guys I know that launch 130-140' routinely and can still nearly max out a 5 minute window. I'm not a spectacular launcher, and hardly a great pilot either, but I know for sure that air reading skills will win a contest any day over max launch height.
THKS for that ..As I guy thats trying to build stiff booms/gliders/ and be light I find far to much is focused on launch height ..20 ft means nothing to a strong patch of sink!!

SL
soarluck is offline Find More Posts by soarluck
Old Feb 04, 2010, 07:46 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,096 Posts
I completely agree about launch skills being less important to air reading.

On the other hand, if I had more altitude, I might be a bit more daring. I am not sure if I was low but able to work light lift if I would venture as far say over a tree line unless I had more height.

Gettting a plane back to fly another day is far more important to me than winning a round. A plan'e glide angle coming back upwind is the same regardless of your air reading skills (assuming you do not find lift on the way back and there isn't any to be found). I would , for that reason, like more height. I hate getting beaten by someone just because they were able to range a bit farther before having to turn back. If they beat me because of a better set of brass one then all the power to them. If it was because they can afford to lose a plane due to financial status, I might be more disappointed. My trophy at the end of a day is an intact plane that I can take to the next contest. Everything else is gravy.

IMHO.....
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:25 AM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I completely agree about launch skills being less important to air reading.

On the other hand, if I had more altitude, I might be a bit more daring. I am not sure if I was low but able to work light lift if I would venture as far say over a tree line unless I had more height.

Gettting a plane back to fly another day is far more important to me than winning a round. A plan'e glide angle coming back upwind is the same regardless of your air reading skills (assuming you do not find lift on the way back and there isn't any to be found). I would , for that reason, like more height. I hate getting beaten by someone just because they were able to range a bit farther before having to turn back. If they beat me because of a better set of brass one then all the power to them. If it was because they can afford to lose a plane due to financial status, I might be more disappointed. My trophy at the end of a day is an intact plane that I can take to the next contest. Everything else is gravy.

IMHO.....
I understand both aspects but there is also something about pushing your limits with a grand in the air compared to 500 ..My flying really improved once I was able to build my own high performance ships.I fly a photon two and its just to darn pretty to take as many chances with opposed to my own gliders that I have ten of ...lolol There is something subconscious going on while flying my glass slipper

SL
soarluck is offline Find More Posts by soarluck
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:43 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,654 Posts
Gary can throw 200' with bagged plane he is a monster and a great pilot.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:07 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,308 Posts
In an AULD task launch height wins -all else being equal. In most other tasks good air reading and thermal skills can even the field.
Unfortunately I'm not much good in either - still trying to break 150' on launch- but its still fun to see how well I can do in a contest.
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:12 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Gary can throw 200' with bagged plane he is a monster and a great pilot.
George is right. check out post #115 in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1169753&page=8

You dont need a molded plane to launch 200ft, you just need a stiff plane and at our current state of technology, molded planes are a bit stiffer than bagged planes on average...but that is changing with new designs in bagged planes.
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2010, 12:26 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
George is right. check out post #115 in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1169753&page=8

You dont need a molded plane to launch 200ft, you just need a stiff plane and at our current state of technology, molded planes are a bit stiffer than bagged planes on average...but that is changing with new designs in bagged planes.
paul
Just think of how high the Stobel-V2 or 3 would go if Gary threw one. I don't think Gary would believe it.