Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 19, 2003, 02:55 AM
Vancouver BC
Joined Apr 2003
93 Posts
Question
Feda main rotor blade tracking

Does any one has vibration with their Feda Helicopter? Mine shake badly at half stick to full stick. I don't really know how I can balance and track the main rotor. I read couple of the posts that's about rotor tracking but it doesn't have pictures, and I have hard time following. I am a novice in flying EP heli. Can anyone help me by showing me how I can balance and track the main rotor blades? Thanks in advance.

Andy
An-Lone is offline Find More Posts by An-Lone
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2003, 04:59 PM
Joined Apr 2002
102 Posts
An-Lone

I dont have my heli yet, but I've done a lot of research and looking

For the balancing - look here, topic "Blade Balancing" (about half way down the page - lots of other good stuff too) http://www.helifever.com/intro/setup.cfm

I hope this helps some

John
scream-n-leap is offline Find More Posts by scream-n-leap
Old May 19, 2003, 05:02 PM
Joined Apr 2002
102 Posts
An-Lone

I've also read that the "training gear" can cause lots of vibration
Old May 19, 2003, 11:08 PM
Vancouver BC
Joined Apr 2003
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scream-n-leap
An-Lone

I've also read that the "training gear" can cause lots of vibration
My Feda was ok with the training gear on before I had to get a new pair of main rotor blade (I crashed and broke the main blades). I give half stick and I look at the blades from the side, I see one blade is higher than the other one, if the blades are in perfect tracking, you shouldn't see 2 blades from the side when it's turning right? I heard a lot of people saying just to put a piece of tape on the edge of one blade and it should eliminate the vibration. I did that with no improvement at all...wondering if I am doing it wrong...
Old May 20, 2003, 11:34 AM
Joined Apr 2002
102 Posts
Did you check to see if your main shaft is bent?
Old May 20, 2003, 11:52 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
If one blade is higher than the other, it is due to more lift, ie more pitch. You should be able to twist some pitch out to fix that.

Vibration due to variations in blade weight is another story. I use tape on one blade and see if the problem gets better or worst.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old May 20, 2003, 09:59 PM
Vancouver BC
Joined Apr 2003
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scream-n-leap
Did you check to see if your main shaft is bent?
I am not sure if it is bent, but if I take out the main blades and only leave the flybar and paddles on, it turns ok without any vibration. That's why I suspect that's the main blades' problem...
Old May 20, 2003, 10:00 PM
Vancouver BC
Joined Apr 2003
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CoClimber
If one blade is higher than the other, it is due to more lift, ie more pitch. You should be able to twist some pitch out to fix that.

Vibration due to variations in blade weight is another story. I use tape on one blade and see if the problem gets better or worst.

Doug
Hi Doug,

The main blades are new, aren't they supposed to be balanced and tracked??

Thanks,
Andy
Old May 21, 2003, 10:14 AM
Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
16 Posts
Not on the plastic ones, I had to balance mine to get some vibes out. If they were the CF blades then they would come balanced... Tracking is what you do yourself to get the blades equal (tracking) but first you need to balance them then track them with it spooled up, if they are not tracked in then you will see 2 tips when its spinning at hover rpm looking at the tip of the rotor... when you balance them use a bright colored tape on the lighter blade so when you track the blades you can tell what you need to do..if the colored one looks to be on top when spinning gently twist a little pitch out of that blade until the spinning rotor looks like a flat disk... or twist more pitch into the other blade depending on what the heli is doing..if it's bogging...decrease pitch...or if the rpm's are up there and you dont have enough lift twist more pitch in ( non colored blade0 hope this helps! Jeff.
Sodflyer is offline Find More Posts by Sodflyer
Old May 21, 2003, 10:56 PM
Vancouver BC
Joined Apr 2003
93 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much for your detailed description on balancing and tracking the blades. I followed your direction and it is FINALLY tracked!!! You wouldn't know how happy to see the blades are tracked and balanced finally!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

Andy
Old May 21, 2003, 11:38 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
47 Posts
Hello An-Lone,
I have also brought the FEDA few weeks ago, how many times you have fly your FEDA?
I recently find that the tail can't catch up when I fly it higher! How can I do? I tried to "clean" the motor by using alcoho, it works for main motor but no work for tail motor.
walkingfuture is offline Find More Posts by walkingfuture
Old May 22, 2003, 12:55 AM
Vancouver BC
Joined Apr 2003
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by walkingfuture
Hello An-Lone,
I have also brought the FEDA few weeks ago, how many times you have fly your FEDA?
I recently find that the tail can't catch up when I fly it higher! How can I do? I tried to "clean" the motor by using alcoho, it works for main motor but no work for tail motor.
I flown it many times already and crashed hundreds of times, I broke tailrotor twice and the main rotor once. The Feda is my first helicopter, I am really new in the hobby too. But if I were you, I would first check the trimming and make sure the battery is fully charged. Cos, I know it could happen if your battery is not fully charged. Also, don't fly your Feda for too long at a time, the main rotor would get REALLY hot and become demagnetized (according to the hobby shop owner). Also, DON'T wrap your antenna around the tail boom, it has interference and you may loose control. Hope my information could help out a bit....

Andy
Old May 22, 2003, 01:19 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
47 Posts
Thanks I will check it later on.
Actually, similar to you, I have crashed it many many times, I also broken the main rotor(blades) once, Now I just repairing it by using "AA glues" . For me, once the main rotor has been broken(or just only small damage), I will balancing it to make sure every thing ok . For the main motor, I really do want to buy a new one, like speed 300, 280BB,etc. I belive these motor should be more reliable and powerful.
Thanks very much...
Old May 22, 2003, 01:29 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
47 Posts
Ah...sorry,... one more thing, so you didn't change the motors? did you find that they loss power(including main motor and tail motor)?
Old May 22, 2003, 02:36 AM
Vancouver BC
Joined Apr 2003
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by walkingfuture
Ah...sorry,... one more thing, so you didn't change the motors? did you find that they loss power(including main motor and tail motor)?
I am looking forward to buying a brushless motor for my Feda, (probably going to get the Astro 010). Yes, the 300 size motor will give more power for sure, but don't know if that would fit the Feda.

I guess, I haven't push my Feda to the limit yet, that's why I still haven't notice any power loss. I can get around 7-8 mins good flight from a full charge. I am looking forward to upgrade the battery to lithium Polymer which could give you a much longer flight time. But the battery would require a special charger for it and they are expensive too...

By the way, I notice that you are from Hong Kong? I am from Hong Kong too but is currently living in Vancouver. You can ICQ me if you like my icq# is 7422620