SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:22 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Cool
Some of my Sketchup Plugins and stuff

The cool thing about sketchup is, all the plugins to extend it's functionality. And you can learn to write your own. I am learning the Ruby scripting language they use and just made my 1st real plugin. I say real because, I have hacked up a few and changed things around before. But this one, I can say I wrote. What it does is is almost instantly regroup a group. Something that could have been very difficult in the past, when parts are close together. I show an example, in the video. And, you could have messed up the selection and left something out of the group. Well, it's not possible for that to happen with this script. And the reason you would want to do this is, the Phlatscript will cut in the same order that you group. Sometimes, you still want to do it manually with groups, even thought the current version of the Phlatscript has an algorithm to select the best path automatically. -Kwok

Reorder Groups Plugin for sketchup (and Phlatscript) (6 min 27 sec)

My phlatscript tutorial video. I've posted this previously, but will put it here just to keep my stuff in one place. Phlatscript is a free sketchup plugin that output cnc gcode:
Phlatscript Tutorial (sketchup plugin to generate cnc gcode) (4 min 20 sec)
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Last edited by Kwok_Yu; Jun 04, 2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added video
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2010, 09:41 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Nice work Kwok, this plugin makes short work of cut orders now and saves a ton of time.
Thank you
Mark
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:16 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Mark, you're welcome. If it wasn't for your forum and a great bunch of guys working together, I wouldn't know how to crank out some new plugins.

So on that note, I would like to make available a very useful plugin, here on rcgroups. It's called the "Phlatten Plugin". The video should explain it's use, but here is the info from the readme file:

Quote:
Phlatten plugin by kyyu (Feb 2010)

This plugin makes your part completely flat, by projecting it to the ground plane (Z=0). It can be under, above or in between the ground plane. Doesn't matter. ** It also preserves and makes faces. ** Just beware, that projections will distort the part, if it's not basically flat and horizontal, already.

Orginal Phlatten code by gasmasher @ the phlatforum. This snippet of code, is from the Phlatscript (a plugin that generates cnc gcode) Phlatscript is open source, licensed under (GNU GPL) General Public License. The GPL require that "released improved versions must also be free software". So my Phatten plugin is also released under the same GNU GPL license. You can freely us it and share with your friends. It can not be sold and if you improve the code, it must also be released as free software.

I just repackaged it in the form of a seperate plugin, so you could assign a shortcut key to it.

For more info on the Phlatscript, free sketchup plans (especially rc planes), and other plugins I may be working on, please visit the phlatforum.com
[Warning]
The phlatten plugin destroys (brakes up) arcs and circles. Because of this, I now recommend you to use this plugin sparingly. And if you only need to make faces, then to use the "Make Faces" plugin at smustard.

I don't know why, but there are like 19 seconds missing from the end of the video? But you don't really miss anything. It just ends abruptly.
Phlatten Plugin for Sketchup (7 min 36 sec)
Last edited by Kwok_Yu; Mar 06, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:21 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
And another video not on a paticular plugin. But demo two other plugins of mine, to simplify the workflow. i.e. less work. These have been released in beta form. They both use a picker that simply mouses/hover over to select. No clicking. 1) is a rotation plugin that rotates groups with keyboard keys 2) the other one is a face picker that push/pull extrudes a part and groups it automatically. -Kwok

Sketchup (F15 2d dxf to 3d with plugins I've created) (10 min 34 sec)
Last edited by Kwok_Yu; Feb 11, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:52 AM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
Kwok, do you know if skechup can be used for programming a 4 axis cad foam cutter?
Joel K. Scholz is offline Find More Posts by Joel K. Scholz
Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:34 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel K. Scholz View Post
Kwok, do you know if skechup can be used for programming a 4 axis cad foam cutter?
You just need to write or find the Plugin. I don't know of one for Hotwire. But it's basically the same as what the phlatscript does for 2d 3 axis stuff. Hot wire is just two x "2 axis", so can be thought of as even simpler. So you could possible make use of the phlatscript, and just generate the seperate gcode for the two airfoils and search/replace the axis in the gcode and then merge them so they cut at the same time. Fozzy @ the phatforum, basically did something similar for multi pass cutting ( like for cutting wood). He wrote a program to repeat the gcode for incremental depth. Basically, output new gcode from the orginal gcode. His software is called "PhlatCode Multipass Manglerizer", if you want to check it out.

Oh, here is my tutorial for the phlatscript, if you want to see how to use it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=4

-Kwok
Last edited by Kwok_Yu; Feb 12, 2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added link
Old Feb 12, 2010, 02:25 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Here is a quick sim, I did for just cutting a airfoil. Not sure which way, a hot wire should cut. Probably opposite to the way I am. -Kwok

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2oyndn...il cnc sim.wmv
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:16 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
I did a little more testing and you can just edit the gcode. Easy if both sides are the same. Made another quick video: http://www.mediafire.com/file/utmc1z...or hotwire.wmv
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:12 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
PushPull and Group Plugin - beta

PushPull and Group (beta version) - Sketchup Plugin (5 min 7 sec)
Last edited by Kwok_Yu; Feb 20, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:41 PM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Chile, Quinta Región de Valparaíso, Los Andes
Joined Jun 2002
857 Posts
Hey Kwok,

Where did you find the Makes faces 4.1 plug in?
Ricardo RW is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo RW
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:10 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo RW View Post
Hey Kwok,

Where did you find the Makes faces 4.1 plug in?
You can get the "Make Faces 1.4" at smustard: http://www.smustard.com/script/MakeFaces , but I don't use it anymore. Instead I use my "Phlatten" plugin. It's posted above on post#3. It's 3x faster at making faces and it makes sure the part is flat 1st (so actually repairs it, if needed).

-Kwok
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Jun 2002
857 Posts
OK, thanks, on your advice I downloaded Phlatten-
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:01 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
When I start threads, I often make quick videos to go with them. Not high res, like I would post to youtube. If you find my other sketchup videos of interest, then check this one out:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jkyoz4...plans_tips.wmv
Old Feb 21, 2010, 03:29 PM
Joined Jun 2002
857 Posts
Very good job Kwok.

Please post a list of your preferred plug ins, as is harder to take notes about every tip you show on your vids.

Maybe a basic SU setup vid will be gold... at least for me.

Thank you again.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 04:59 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo RW View Post
Very good job Kwok.

Please post a list of your preferred plug ins, as is harder to take notes about every tip you show on your vids.

Maybe a basic SU setup vid will be gold... at least for me.

Thank you again.
There's nothing really to set up about sketchup, except to choose what menus to make visible and arrange them to your liking. And you should learn the shortcut keys. As far as plugins, you just install them, one at a time when you need them. That's the beauty of sketchup, that its very simple. But when the needs arrives, you can add to it. As such, we will all have very different menus and plugin collections. Here are some pictures below, to show what mine looks like. Mine is actually very clean and simple, compared to what I have seen. If you want plugins go to: http://www.crai.archi.fr/Rubylibrary...m_edi_page.htm and see what appeals to you. One I would definitely get is "Bezierspline" if you want to draw curves. Others are "weld" and "repair_broken_lines.rb". "TextTag14.rb" is there from the sailboat video, if you want that. "Stray Lines" get from smustard.com.

If you want "PushPull & Group" plugin, that's posted on the phlatforum where I am very active. -Kwok
http://phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1646