HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:00 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
456 Posts
Discussion
Robbe Prinzess & Roqua Outboard

This is the boat that got me into R/C a few months ago. It was just the motor and hull when I bought it. I've since added a servo, ESC, battery pack, receiver, etc. Also needed to replace the propeller - found a good used one, and cleaned a bunch of sandy grit out of the gear housing.

Finally found a use for the little baby food tubs after my little one is done with them - they make a pretty good receiver box! (I knew I kept a stack of them for a reason!) I ran the wires and antenna out a hole I cut in the side, and dabbed some silicon sealer in there to button it up. Should keep splashed water out of the receiver and if I tape it up it'll be completely water proof! Only thing I want to add at this point are some styrofoam blocks under the foredeck and sides just in case it gets swamped.

I bought a Futaba Magnum transmitter off eBay for 99 and it works beautifully. Now I'm just awaiting some liquid water to let it go!

At some point I want to do a cosmetic dress up to make it look more like the Glastron GT-150 it was modeled after. I've got decal artwork and I'll redo the paint scheme to look like it, too.
Chinewalker is offline Find More Posts by Chinewalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:08 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,866 Posts
Nice boat. It is rather vintage now, and a classic in the Robbe lineup.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:18 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
877 Posts
Chinewalker I found that the angle of motor was very critical to make her run out in the scale look I remember from my big boat days. Finally sold off the outboard and made her a inboard, with trim tabs it is much easier to get it right as far as look is concerned. Mine has been in the family for LOOOOONg time and still makes the spectators look when I take her out. Used the White hull, black deck from Glastron for a color scheme.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Feb 03, 2010, 03:51 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
456 Posts
Thanks for the advice Captain! If the downside of having to tweak the adjustment a bit to get it to lay out is that I have to spend more time by the water, then so be it!
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:48 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,269 Posts
With mine I added a rub rail all the way around with some black snowmobile window edging. It hides the joint between the upper and lower halves, plus gives some protection and grip when pushing other boats.
Regards,
Gerald.
PS if you have the robbe 12v speed control 12volts is the max you can't run two 7.2 packs in series, it lets the magic smoke out.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Feb 03, 2010, 01:34 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,547 Posts
I worked for Robbe USA when they were in Jersey. The Princess is a great running and looking boat. I would not recomend running over 9.6 volts. At lest once a year take the outboard apart and lube with a little auto wheel bearing grease. I have a couple of the Roqua's that are at lest 15 years old with no problems. keep the battery forward and you will not need trim tabs.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Feb 05, 2010, 11:12 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC View Post
I worked for Robbe USA when they were in Jersey. The Princess is a great running and looking boat. I would not recomend running over 9.6 volts. At lest once a year take the outboard apart and lube with a little auto wheel bearing grease. I have a couple of the Roqua's that are at lest 15 years old with no problems. keep the battery forward and you will not need trim tabs.
I have the Robbe 12volt speed control and was having problems at that time finding 6volt battery packs and chargers, I contacted Robbe USA in Jersey (long distance no toll free) and they told me to use 7,2 volt packs. When the speed control went up in smoke I contacted them again, this time they said only use 6volt packs. They also refused to repair the speed control.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Feb 05, 2010, 11:31 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
456 Posts
I don't have the original speed controler - I have a Feigao 60A ESC in place of it...
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:03 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,547 Posts
You probably talked to Vince (heli guy). The original speed control was a stepped switch. It had 2 speeds at low 2 packs in parallel, at high 2 packs in series. There is no way the Roqua and or speed control could handle 14.4 volts, the amperage would have been over 40.
Robbe Germany recomended 2 - 4.8 volt packs (4 cell) or 9.6 volts at high speed.
The electronic speed control will work just fine and would have been an up grade at the time.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:37 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
456 Posts
Well I ran the boat this morning for the first time! Had an 8.4V NiCd pack in it that I made from a drill battery. Ran alright - definitely some room for improvement as far as set-up goes. This was the first time I had ever run an RC boat, so I was glad it wasn't much faster as I had a bit of a learning curve to keep my left & right straight in my head. Fortunately there weren't any loose ice floes around, otherwise I would have been running an obstacle course.

Video of it running:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xci...-boat-wit_tech

- Scott
Old Mar 09, 2010, 11:23 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,547 Posts
Looks real good. Thats just the way it should run, but you might what too move the battery forward about 1 inch, that will bring the bow down and give a bit more speed. I would all so put some foam bolks in her just in case.
Yoou now have a very nice collectable boat.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 11:46 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
456 Posts
Thanks John. That's exactly what I had planned on doing with the battery. That, and I think I have the motor out just a hair too far at the moment. It ventilates easily in the turns, so I think it'll tuck under a bit, which will also bring the bow down.

I tucked a few pieces of pink board foam under the gunwales - just in case she does a Titanic on me. Yes, that is ICE in the background of the video!

- Scott
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:22 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
456 Posts
It was a crappy weekend, weather-wise, so I didn't get any boats in the water. BUT, I couldn't leave well enough alone, so tried out my new pinion puller and upgraded the motor in the Roqua to a Graupner 8.4V Speed 600 I had onhand. It certainly SOUNDS faster sitting on the bench. Time will tell if that and a few other adjustments bring the boat on plane better... With daylight savings now in effect, there will be daylight when I get home in the evenings - hoping it's calm!