HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:38 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Discussion
Oly II - IIs - III

Okay so I am about to bite the bullet and purchase a good kit-built glider. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Oly's but having a tough time deciding on which to grab.

The III sort of scares me off just due to the size. Not really for the build, but more for the launching. Since I'll mainly be flying this back in 'flatland country' (moving back to Nebraska soon) I won't have any slopes to fly this from. Add to that I have 'zero' experience launching with a high-start or winch. So, I am thinking that the III would be too much to start off with.

The II or IIs appear to be pretty similar, except for the wing. I'm not the best builder but I believe I can get my way through a build like either of these on my own. However, both of these models appear to have a saddle for the wing, vs a joiner through the fuse like is on the III. I would prefer the joiner system (just looks better IMHO).

For those out there that have built the II or IIs, how difficult would it be to build up the fuse like a OlyIII so that I can mount a II or IIs wing to the fuse instead of just rubber banding it to the top...
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:08 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,704 Posts
The wing saddle is really not a problem...if you are concerned about aesthetics (sp?) modify the wing to be a bolt-on. It will look great! That being said, both the II and IIs are very popular. I think most people here will say to go with the IIs.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:40 PM
Tunabiker
Del Mar CA
Joined Dec 2003
42 Posts
Oly II, IIS, III

I am very fond of the Oly III I made about a year ago. I launch it very frequently with a NES hi-start they call "large", for 3M planes...and I get excellent altitude just flying off the hook. A little "ping" at the end gives a bit more altitude, but not a lot more. For contests, I use a winch and have no difficulty with this, either. I think I get better launches with the hi-start than the winch (100' of tubing; 400' of line).

I also have made and flown Oly II and Oly IIS...both are great, leading me to the Oly III which is superior to either of these because of its size and airfoil. So, I continue to recommend Oly III because of your building skill.

You'd need to redesign the wing saddle to join at the shoulder, but I gather you're ok with that. Looks, yes it would make a difference; flying, I kind of doubt it.

Good luck, whatever you try!
tunabiker is offline Find More Posts by tunabiker
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:14 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
The II and IIs are built as a 1 or 3 piece wing arent they? Or am I wrong here. That's the 'biggest' mod I forsee needing done to adapt a II or IIs wing to joining at the shoulder vs a wing saddle.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:30 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,975 Posts
The Oly II versions are designed as a 2-piece wing, although some people have modified it to be 3-piece. Oly 650 models, which are 2-meter have been made as 3-piece, but I beleive they were designed to be single piece wings. You won't go wrong with any Oly version, as they perform great, easy to fly, and mostly designed for flat land flying. I used to live in Omaha and the performance in the open farmlands will keep you in the air for many hours of enjoyment. Launching from a hi-start is not hard and has been discussed in more than a couple of threads. Just take it slow and easy and before you know it, you'll be launching well enough to be yanking the stake out of the ground! Get an Oly and let us know how you do with it.

Thanks!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:52 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
+1 for the OLYIII wingspan baby wingspan!

I have an OLYIIs(modified), and I wish it had the wingspan of the OLYIII
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:52 PM
Larry
Massachusetts, USA
Joined Oct 2004
40 Posts
I have built both the Oly II and the BigBird XL. The Oly IIs is under construction as I write. The BigBird XL has the same airfoil (Ray's favorite S3014) as the IIs and the III, with a wingspan right in the middle, 110". The BBXL had a short and exciting life, but suffered one too many crashes, and now hangs in the basement ceiling.

The flat bottom wing on the Oly II makes it a great calm wind flyer, whereas the BBXL and its S3014 airfoil penetrates much better when the breezes pick up.

I selected the Oly IIs for my latest build because I liked the higher performance and the 100" wingspan. Oly II for calm winds and Oly IIs when the wind picks up. If you already have some soaring experience, then go with the IIs, but if you a real beginner, stick with the Oly II. I've been real pleased with all Skybench planes. (By the by, me and my BBXL are pictured on Skybench's website.)

Larry (WA1FRK)
harlequin is offline Find More Posts by harlequin
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:58 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
+1 for the Oly III... Get a good high start and never look back.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Ya all ain't making the decision easier!! LOL I had originally set my mind on the Oly III but the w/s scares me off........ Now i'm back to re-considering it! HAHA
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:37 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
Ya all ain't making the decision easier!! LOL I had originally set my mind on the Oly III but the w/s scares me off........ Now i'm back to re-considering it! HAHA

Don't be scared... Wingspan is your friend
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:08 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
I wanted to do the 2S first to save a few pennies and get my feet wet before tackling the 3, but my friend talked me into the OLY 3. Unless you are cramped for space, or want to get some experience building, just go for the Oly 3! I definitely have not been disappointed.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:16 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
I guess I'm a wing span addict... I just want more and more...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:33 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Lets see - I got the 2M Spirit Elite (or on it's way at least) Was planning on using this as a learning tool for the high start. Plus, for the next few months (as long as it warms up soon) as a fun ride across the slopes before moving. I've also got a 3-4m scale composite I hope to receive sometime this summer as well... W/S is our friend?!?! HAHA Gonna need a 2nd shed out back just for wings! The Oly is going to be my 'woody' . As much as I like the composite look, I still believe nothing beats the look of a well built wood ship in the air.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 10:24 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,233 Posts
Size counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
Lets see - The Oly is going to be my 'woody' . As much as I like the composite look, I still believe nothing beats the look of a well built wood ship in the air.
The OlyII and IIs are can't miss decisions.

My thought is the III is a really big model and will take a long while to build. I like the III, voted with my wallet and bought the kit, but understand it will take me an honest 4~5 months to build.

The II and IIs are simpler and quicker - to me the difference is if you fly in calmer air get the II. If you fly in breezy tropic heat of S. Dakota (I, who lived lived on the Manitoba/N. Dakota border for 2 years ) get the IIs.

take care, john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Feb 02, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 10:26 PM
Chandler, Az.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
Oly, Oly Ott etc.

AC5FF:

A major consideration ,since you are moving to Nebraska, is the wind that blows 80-90 % of the time there. I would go for the O-III since it is heavier. The S3014 has a wide speed range and will either hi-start or winch well, but you may only have to pitch the plane by hand for a three hour flight .

Bob
Sweet-ole-Bob is offline Find More Posts by Sweet-ole-Bob